me
Years ago

Are 36ers fans no longer "the best"

It has been generally acknowledged for some time that Adelaide fans are, the best, the most knowledgeable and most supportive in the country.

Has it changed??

What i read here is that the dome is half empty, its quiet, the management dont know what they are doing and there is a lot more whinging and moaning about players and coaches than educated and knowledgeable discussion about the game.

So, are we the best...only when the team is winning, maybe rather than intelligent and noisy fans, we just have a lot of bandwagon riders?

Topic #13457 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the claim was really only ever of the "most knowledgeable" and I don't know if that's the case any more anyway. I think the last poll might've said Cats or Crocs?

This thread will rightfully go the way of the "Dome isn't loud anymore" topics of recent weeks - Saturday was evidence - provide more to cheer about and people will make some noise.

IMO, a lot of what you term "whinging and moaning" is actually fairly reasoned from what I've read.

Reply #156981 | Report this post

xtc  
Years ago

Hey lets face it; when the Dome is half empty, we still pack in more punters than nearly every other "shed" in the NBL. Anyone been to see a Tigers match in the last few years?

The Dome will get back to full voice when the "most educated fans in the NBL" rekcon that there is somthing to cheer about.

Reply #156989 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I am sick of us die hard fans being called Phil bashers and whingers as we havent given up on the team or game like many many others. we come onto this site and air views because we care.
What we have given up on is the lazy coaching and very poor team selection over the last few years and that has nothing to do with previous finances as we have always been on the salary cap.
We wanted to believe it was going to be different this year we thought with all the height we had we would get rebounds-- sorry. we were told Chappel was exciting , point scorer and great rebounder -- sorry he is none of the above. Didnt you get excited at MArk DAvis rebounding Darnells defence and get excited if Joe Inglis was doing his stuff for us
Who could seriously predict we will even half of our next 6 matches with Brett away.
Then we are down the bottom. If we cant prevent that lets try .Club make strong decisions and we will see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Reply #157007 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

I always hated that term - "The Most Knowledgeable Crowd in the NBL" - what bored PR person came up with that one - or did I miss the Eddie Macguire TV Show - "Are You Smarter Than A NBL Crowd?"

Reply #157009 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

bozza, I agree. Never liked it either. It's up there with "Former Rookie of the Year" for me.

Reply #157011 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

and up there with Brett Rainbow winning the Dunk Comp - as voted by the super basketball savvy people such as Elle McFeast.

Reply #157017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please understnad that a 1/2 full dome isn't really bad. It's not great but it's still 4,000 people. Still 5,000 more than the cage can hold and more than what most teams can get. When the Sixers are playing well the dome is absolutely rocking and I can tell you the atmosphere inside the dome shits all over the atmosphere at sydney and melbourne games.

Reply #157023 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Agreed - a 1/2 Dome full isn't that bad - but one has to wonder where we lost those people.

Have we lost these people to other sports (ie Soccer)?
Have we lost them due to ticket prices?
Have we lost them due to Crazy Rosters (ie Wednesday Night Games)?
Have we lost them due to poor Media coverage?
Have we Lost them Because It Got Boring\Stale?

Reply #157033 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

We lost them because the team sucks.

I quite like the "most knowledgeable crowd in the NBL" myself

Reply #157034 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bozza, it's a lot easier to lose them than it is to get them back. Probably a combination of things - team struggling plus more competition for the dollar, etc.

Reply #157040 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

most knowledgeable fans in the NBL???

cant be very smart if we're leaving for the soccer.

Reply #157053 | Report this post

ando  
Years ago

"Have we lost these people to other sports (ie Soccer)?
Have we lost them due to ticket prices?
Have we lost them due to Crazy Rosters (ie Wednesday Night Games)?
Have we lost them due to poor Media coverage?
Have we Lost them Because It Got Boring\Stale?"

I agree Bozzo. There are heaps of people I know who don't go anymore, especially coz of the prices and times.

Plus I always hated the term "most knowledgeable"

Reply #157072 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I am one of those people that no longer go to games. My mates and I had season tickets from about 1992-2002. I guess that period could be described as a golden time for the league (Early to mid 90's) and the team (late 90's).

We were big fans too, made a lot of noise. Some of you may even remember us, we used to stand on the concourse up between the Mexican? food place and the kiosk. Depending on the game anywhere from 4 to 12 of us would be up there.

Anyway we were spoiled by those good times. I don't care what anyone says, the product is nowhere near as good as it was then. The prices went up, for a lower-value team, and that was the final straw for many of my mates.

We then gave up our tickets and decided to go to the "big" games only (Sydney, Tigers, Perth). That lasted about a season when i realised that we weren't that excited by the team on the floor, and we just......stopped coming.

It really was a gradual thing, not some sudden jumping off the bandwagon, as Isaac said, it was a combination of things that just wore us down.

A season or so later, we started getting free tickets thru a Sixers player, that was great, except the games were awful, and thankfully the player left for Melbourne after that year and I haven't been since.

Reply #157074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure how many games you've been to in Melbourne but there's a great atmosphere at the Cage.

Reply #157075 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Speed44 - Maybe we need to get the Acid Jazz to reform and play curtain raisers to get some more people through the door?

Reply #157076 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754