over it
Years ago

BASA Refs - Who's Over Them!

I know refs are an important part of the game - by being "over it" I'm not meaning unfair calls etc...... I'm talking about inappropriate behaviour from the refs. One of our games started nearly 30 minutes behind time because of a ref was having a smoke at 1/4 time. Last night one of our players arm was bleeding, when asked the ref for a nail check at 1/2 time he told the player to "shut up and get back to the bench." Up until that point the game had been pretty low key. When our player pointed out that it wasn't necessary to speak like that - the ref told them to wait until they hit the court again then he would show them what was necessary - and then went on to give the player two questionable fouls - "to shut them up". I have also heard other refs dis and laugh at bad plays. Just wondering where has the professionalism gone? These refs actually get paid, would many people treat others this way in their paid job?

Topic #13525 | Report this topic

Roseboy  
Years ago

I'm not a ref, but they have it pretty tough. Day-in, day-out of getting yelled at, questioned, abused by spectators and so-on. It'd be hard to keep a lid on the frustration.

Yes they do get paid, but do most people act like some players do to umpires if say their McDonald's meal is wrong?

Personally I have a fair bit of admiration for umpires for one main reason - who in their right mind would want to do it? *Especially* at social or lower district level.

Reply #157927 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Roseboy.
Unfortunately I have to agree with 'overit' and disagree with you. As a retired referee I have noticed that the standard of professionalism amongst the current officials leaves a lot to be desired.
Certainly referees are open to abuse both on and off the court. But, they should be aware of this when they decide to officiate - as they say "if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" - in other words if you don't want to be abused don't referee.
The problem I believe starts with the standard of education that referees are receiving when they start on the refereeing road. Part of the education process is to explain to new officials that 'yes' they are going to receive abuse and criticism, but, they need to adopt a "professional" approach and not respond with either verbal comments or using their power as a referee to penalise players - UNLESS the penalty is in line with the rules of the game. As previously stated, I don't believe that this facet of refereeing is being emphasised at the education level.
The other problem is that these - shall we call them junior officials - are being influenced by the on and off court attitude - of shall we call them senior officials - whose arrogance makes them think they are more important than the game itself.
This is a problem that needs to be addressed by Basketball SA and in particular those responsible for referee education.

Reply #157944 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Roseboy - lets not forget that the refs are usually the only ones being paid at all at junior district level in all divisions(albeit crap money) Most of the other people who contribute to the game are volunteers - coaches, team managers, scorers etc etc. Team managers and scorers even have to pay to get in to the stadium, for the privilege of being a volunteer. They all have to comply with a code of conduct.

Is it really that bad for people to expect a little more from refs?

Reply #157969 | Report this post

Harrison Bergeron  
Years ago

Talking to a mate whose daughter refs 2nd base for softball 1 hour = $25 !!!! I think there is a simple reason that we get the refs we do and the attitudes we do. My understandning is that there is a river of money at BSA now - use some of it!!!!

Reply #157983 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If you have crap refs at $10 a game, you will get crap refs at $30 a game.

The referee you are looking for is the one who isn't in it for the money, but actually loves the games and wants to be part of the action.

Reply #157987 | Report this post

Jerry Espinson  
Years ago

zzzz.... BORING!!!
Same sh*t different week. How about you stop whinging and do it yourself.
Soon we're going to be hearing about how there werer so many terrible refs, their calls were bad because of such and such....
And because you pay 4 bucks to get in doesnt mean you can abuse them. Maybe the refs should pay 4 bucks, then they can say whatever they want to you. Hey that player missed a shot.... get up him for half hour and see how he feels.

Have you ever thought that perhaps the refs you get on your game are a reflection on how YOU play (remember you're the ones saying the refs are sh*t)

Reply #157992 | Report this post

Harrison Bergeron  
Years ago

FM - that is laughable - under your theory AFL clubs should pay players like Judd minimum wage - it is exactly that sort of thinking that has held back the sport. You and people like you need to join this century.

Reply #157998 | Report this post

1ref  
Years ago

Why not get your complaint and send it to one of these people via your club secretary!

Mark Hubbard, Paul Arnott or Neil Poulton.

ANON12 if you're a retired official why don't you involve yourself in the education of these 'so called' junior referees.

Reply #158018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know! If the referees are paid more, it will attract more referees. Then, once we've got more than enough referees, they can start being left off of the roster if they behave inappropriately. Eventually there's a better standard of refereeing and a higher level of professionalism.

Genius! more pay = better referees

Reply #158032 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

I would love to start blowing the whistle again but the super low pay is almost insulting knowing how much revenue each game produces for the respective association.

Reply #158034 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Who says you have to referee for the money 'kad'...? Why not be a part of the solution instead of a part of the problem???

I referee for:
(a) the love of the game
(b) to be involved as my playing career was close to ABA material but not quite good enough
(c) to teach younger referees (hopefully more good habits than bad ;-)
(d) And to keep one less referee off of the game that nobody wants.

I'm fortunate enough to get some coin with my games I referee but am not going to quit my job to referee full time (unless I move to the US). I think people need to pay respect where it is due. Thank referees that do a good/consistant job, as a thankyou can go a long way and might get that particular referee to come out next week, so you dont get the "T throwing" "Call the game off" referee(s) every week.

I can't say that everyone has a mentality like mine or similar, or that even mine is right. Just be patient with the referee development structure so these few bad eggs can be eliminated from our competitions.

That's my 2cents

Reply #158068 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Oh, one point BASA doesn't exist anymore.

Reply #158129 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

some people say they stop reffing becoz the abuse..thats one of the best things about it for me, when i ref juniors (under 16) they always complain about it i love it, coz there wrong. i had a kid complain and say but i only softly hit him across the arm..for all refs they should know about protect the shooter, and he got his arm taken out,.. but i love the abuse for some of it, i just laugh it off.

Reply #158149 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754