Marco
Years ago

Can the Slingers afford another good player?

Would the Slingers have enough cash in their salary cap would to entice someone like Matthew Nielsen, Damien Ryan etc.. A starting lineup of HELMS, RYAN, GRIZZARD, KNIGHT AND NIELSEN would destroy in the NBL!!!!

Topic #13576 | Report this topic

Marco  
Years ago

Also, what is everyone's opinion on the team- i think they are getting better, and are certainly better than the last expansion/new franchise- the Hunter Pirates- who struggled!!! Give this roster time and i think top 6 here they come!

Reply #158368 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Cap space isn't an issue ... but considering the owners have to have the mother of all bake sales every week just to afford to pay their current players, finding the cash to pay better players may be an issue ...

Reply #158375 | Report this post

Years ago

Well there allowed a 3rd import. WHy not get a big Chinese player or a Chinese Point guard. I also think they have enough cash. Only problem none of the Chinese want to play because they can get paid more in China instead of a 100k tops here.

Reply #158381 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Nelly would be on more than the total NBL cap over in Europe, so he's not coming back. Ryan, you may be able to get, but it would take quite a hefty offer and ALOT of convincing, IMO.

Reply #158382 | Report this post

Years ago

at the start of the year most of them would of said yes. But now they think Slingers suck. When there good for a team of rookies!

Reply #158383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the Slingers are very cheap this year . Only serious money would have gone to Helms, Knigh - and Grizzard would be expensive .

Question is are they trying to build the club with a low cost base or did they simply not have confidence they could get enough money together to allow them to recruit a few more experienced players ?

Anyway , if the club can stick together for rest of the season and keep the sponsors then next year they should have a better chance . Several australian based quality players are said to have shown interest after the start of the season !

#51 seems to be spot on re the cost of the Chinese players .More luck could possibly come with a Phillipino .

Reply #158384 | Report this post

Melvin , where do you get the story about the cake sales from ? Fact of dreams ?

Reply #158385 | Report this post

Correction sorry

Should of course have been FACTS OR DREAMS .

Reply #158386 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're looking at a guy from the Philippines I think. Read a story about it the other day.

Reply #158401 | Report this post

Marco  
Years ago

IMO- I think the third import would be huge for them- they need that extra 15 and 10 player- preferably a big i'd say- strong 4 who can play as a 3 at times, because i think they are good enough- HELMS, KNIGHT and GRIZZARD, plus JANEV and CAMERON, they probably need another 1 or 2 dominant- but like i say, a third import would be good- any idea as to why they haven't gotten moving quicker- bring back- Chris Williams/ Carlos Powell- someone to dominate- or even Bobby Brannen-they need the experience and present- hope someone from Slingers is reading here!!

Reply #158409 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

it wasn't meant literally .. it was hinting at the early/preseason financial problems ..

Reply #158411 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

When you go shopping after the big sales, there is not much left in the store.

Reply #158420 | Report this post

Marco  
Years ago

Or even Jerome Beasley- imagine him for the slingers- dominating!

Reply #158542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Third import needs to be from the region I think.

Reply #158547 | Report this post

Marco  
Years ago

Any decent players in the region though- that could be the franchise player?

Reply #158563 | Report this post

Years ago

ISaac where did you read this.
I saw before the 36ers game they had the Phillipino national team vs Singapore National team.
The Phillipines totally killed Singapore not just scoring wise but the crowd. At singapores home they were out yelled. There were allot of Phillipinos who were there. So if they could get a Phillipino they would get a better crowd as well. Especially if he came of the bench !!

Reply #158574 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Castro gets juicy offer from Singapore Slingers

SINGAPORE -- Jason Castro, the high-flying, fleet-footed guard of the Harbour Centre-backed Philippine team, may yet land in the Australian National Basketball League instead of the Philippine Basketball Association.

Moments after lifting the Nationals to a 100-93 victory over the Singapore Slingers Tuesday night, Castro got a tempting offer from an official of the team competing in the NBL Hummer Championship.

Full article

Reply #158578 | Report this post

Years ago

http://www.asia-basket.com/phi/phi.asp
check some of the articles here as well..
thanks isaac

Reply #158579 | Report this post

Marco  
Years ago

Castro seems like an exciting player- however- are Phillipino players considered imports?

Reply #158593 | Report this post

Phillipino's can be used for the 3 imports the Slingers are allowed to have but at this stage not for the remaining 9 positions in the team.

Reply #158696 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Jason hit 18 points against the slingers in the Brunei Cup so Gordie has seen him before.

Reply #158803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:13 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754