hoops
Years ago

36er's Future team?

I have had a think 'dream' about a possible 36er's team for the future and how good it would be to put together a team made up of mostly SA born players. This team would definately be exciting to watch and with amount of local talent would get the crowds back in sure. Let me know what you think

Starting 5
PG-Import
SG-Ingles
SF-Newley
PF-Ballinger
C-Luke S

Bench
Davidson
Brad Hill
Forman
Holmes
Mottram

Coach-Ninnis
Ass Coach- Maher
Ass Coach- Sapwell

Topic #13580 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha i definately like that team! , oh its so good to dreamm.....

Reply #158388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That team could be possible though, if some decent recruting was done a few years ago and not letting all our star juniors go to other teams

Reply #158393 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

According to Jingles in yesterdays Advertiser its never going to happen - oh well.

Reply #158396 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

and you can throw another import in there once ballinger is a citizen.

Reply #158398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that team would be a championship contender for years, and have basketball buzzing in Adelaide again like it was in the 90's

Reply #158406 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Just wondering having spoken with all of the players you mentioned not one has said he would not play for Smyth in fact they have all said they would.I am just wondering if they all said they would why cant we recruit them.Money is clearly the reason and other clubs appear to have more staff is this a factor.Marsy raves about Smyth but he was seriously looking at leaving and going to N.Z this season for the bigger dollars.This apears a big problem is the owner putting enough in or just budgeting to make money.

Reply #158412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mahersy said he never really wanted to leave and that it was always his plan to stay in Adelaide.

Reply #158415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

curious ingles said the other day in paper that he wasnt coming back for a fair while that means its not just money i reckon

Reply #158419 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I would think Ingles is talking about going to America or Europe, ie like Newley.
He will probably declare for the draft this year considering his numbers.
So assuming he goes second round he would be trying to make a team and then going to Europe if he doesn't.

So by a long time he means in 10-15 years when he is finished playing overseas.

Reply #158425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If not (NBA/EUROPE), I'm more than happy to stay with the Dragons." As for coming home to play? "Not right now or anytime soon," he said.

"I think I'll be with the Dragons for a fair chunk of my career. I have no plans to leave unless it's overseas."

Reply #158426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, thanks Phil.

Reply #158429 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I don't think you can lay 100% of the blame on Phil. Although he originally stuffed up the deal, I think Joe has just really enjoyed his time at the Dragons. The owner over there really knows how to look after people (he is in marketing!) and the city of Melbourne would be something Joe would really enjoy, so although Phil let him slip through the cracks, it's the South Dragons that have done a great job to make his time enjoyable. I guess it would also help a lot having players like Jacob, Brad and Shannon over there.

Reply #158433 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Brad Hill...? Surely you jest!

Reply #158434 | Report this post

Giraffe 11  
Years ago

what players say (to keep their club and sponsors happy) and what they actual what or mean are complety different.

Sure it'd be nice to have Ingles say he wants to come home to play, but that wouldn't fly with the dragons, so of course he is going to 'toe the party line'.

Imagine Davidson saying "I want to return to to play ball."
Don't think it'd be too warmly received.

Reply #158438 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Is that question directed at me Kad?

Reply #158440 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Holmes has openly said he'd be happy to return to Adelaide when the opportunity was right.

Might just be me, but I read a little bit of competitive spite in Ingles' quotes to Boti.

That smirk to Smyth last year when he hit the three in front of the Adelaide bench doesn't exactly do much to suggest otherwise. I'm sure Holmes would be happy to get a win against his old club, but I reckon Ingles would relish it - that's the vibe I get anyway.

e.g., have never seen Holmes say anything about (roughly paraphrasing) "showing them what they missed out on" as Ingles did. Remember, he wasn't considered better than a spot in the 13 - I know I would've been very offended by that had I been in his situation.

Reply #158442 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And Panther - from the front page, hit the Match Report under the game scoreline and then boxscore to the right of the main game photo for a boxscore which shows minutes played (Mottram played 19:00 from memory). That's the final box - the one in the live scores part isn't always correct.

The bit I miss was that their old boxscores had player scoring breakdowns per quarter. Helped you get a feel for who led what scoring sprees/comebacks and so on.

Reply #158444 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

For mine I would like to see (circa 2009-10):
PG: Aaron Bruce
SG: B Newley
SF: J Holmes
PF: A Ballinger
C: L Schenscher

Bench:
B.Davidson
M. Ng (yes Marcus!)
N Mottram
Aleks Maric
J. Dodman (surely by then he will have developed!)
Import (small forward - impact player)
Will McFee (from NSW, currently year 12 at SHORE)

Only one problem here - the payroll!

Reply #158465 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

what about adding two imports?

Reply #158540 | Report this post

jammer  
Years ago

Issac as uasual you are wrong Ingles has told me he really likes Phil and it wasnt Phil who stuffed up his contract so get your facts right

Reply #158548 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Since you think that I am 'usually wrong', can you throw me a few other examples as an appetiser?

Phil did not spell Ingles' name wrong on his contract or consider him a "centre", if that's what you're referencing (I think those were Mike Daws' mistakes?). They offered Ingles a spot in the 13 rather than the regular rotation and did not offer him the rookie maximum (from memory, it was half).

I'd say that those latter two elements were more considerable factors than the first two.

Do you believe otherwise?

Why would he clearly say that he wanted to show the club what they missed out on?

Reply #158549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong again i am afraid it was not Mike Daws who did the contract at all but am not allowed to mention who did it on your forum but it was pre Daws.Smyth was not allowed to be in the negotiations until it was way to late and again if you ask Ingles he would tell you Smyth did all he was allowed to but it was not in his control.Perhaps the fact the Dragons had heaps more money a full time fitness and strength coach all the things the 36ers didnt have but Ingles wanted but of course you knew this, apparently not.

Reply #158551 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do you believe that they offered him the rookie maximum? And a spot in the rotation? I think my source was pretty close to this process! Name mistake wasn't Daws - my mistake - another person involved with the club.

Regardless, my original point was that there appears to be a bit of competitive spite in play (involving the club) and my only mention of Smyth was Ingles' smirk at him after he hit that three which is as it happened. (Smyth told the defender to back off Ingles as he couldn't make the shot, so he took and made it.)

I think his clear statement that he wanted to show them what they missed out on backs that up. He didn't feel like they respected his future at the time, that's clear.

Reply #158553 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Issac but Smyth has only ever thought highly of Ingles there may of been a smirk and comment but i can assure you if you speak to either party they have nothing but good things to say about each other and Ingles is fully aware of what Smyth thought of him before he broke into the N.B.L so that again is where you are wrong.

Reply #158560 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You're missing my point. He clearly stated that he wanted to show them what they missed out on which is why I said that he would probably especially relish beating Adelaide. Whoever didn't do enough to convince him, he feels disrespected by that decision - his agent has said that of all the offers they fielded, Adelaide's was at the bottom - it wasn't the rookie maximum and wasn't for a spot in the regular rotation.

Not sure why you are going off on that tangent of how much Smyth and Ingles do or don't love each other. I'm not talking about that.

(Is there a reason why you have used "curious", "jammer", the default anonymous and a typed in "anonymous"? Just stick to one name.)

Reply #158564 | Report this post

jammed  
Years ago

i cant believe that there are these kids who believe what the players tell them. as if they are going to give them the real deal!!!!

Reply #158573 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

123abc - check my team, no need for two imports! Oh and couldn't afford them anyway!

Reply #158754 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754