Isaac
Years ago

And it begins: Perth want ASG exclusion for Cats

Like conflict between international representation and preparation for club teams (Hello Chris Anstey), the same between NBL players suiting for their clubs and appearing in the All Star Game is nothing new.

It became a problem to the point that the NBL instituted a rule that says that any player who didn't miss the game preceding the ASG and skipped the spectacle would miss the following game.

Perth coach Scott Fisher is the first to have a whinge this year. The Cats have three players likely to feature (Rogers, Redhage, Loughton) but Fisher says Redhage's wife is going to give birth at around the same time as the game and Loughton is already skipping trainings to nurse a minor injury.

Perth could be without both Alex Loughton and Shawn Redhage for a crucial fixture next month if the NBL rejects the Wildcats' request for the players to be excused from All-Star game commitments.

The West has more about Fisher trying to put these 'special cases' to the NBL.

Interestingly, Brian Goorjian, coach of the league-leading Kings is unhappy to only have Mark Worthington in the game and wants to see import guard Dontaye Draper feature too.

What's the solution, or is the NBL's rule on the right track?

Topic #13628 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

It basically come's down to either the NBL enforces a rule like they have now or they get rid of the ASG all together.

If teams aren't going to release players so fans can see a best of the best showcase what is the point?

Reply #158929 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I think in the case of a player having a child, or another family issue, it should be relaxed. Personal circumstances that might keep them out of any other game, but NOT because of what the club wants.

That said, I think they do need to do what they can to make sure the best are actually in the ASG.

Reply #158930 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

If the All*Star game was being held in Perth, would they have a problem...i doubt it. The NBL should set aside a weekend for the game or just not have it, they shouldn't jam it in the middle of a week.

Reply #158935 | Report this post

Justin Timberlake  
Years ago

Anyone associated with the NBL should look at the state of Australian basketball and do everything they can to help the sport, its certainly helped Scott Fisher over the years.

Reply #158936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

D16, I agree, but they're already cramming the schedule in as it is. Just reduce the number of games slightly (and season tickets with it) and give it a proper weekend.

Reply #158941 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

They should scrap it altogether. There is already too much pressure on teams and players with the regular season games, both at home and also with all the travel involved with away games. If they insist on having it, or if the fans demand it, why not put it on 1 or 2 weeks before the regular season starts. All the players are well and truly into the swing of training and are all gathered together with their respective teams at this stage. Unlike the end of the season when different teams finish at different times depending on how far they go. They could even incorporate all the activities of the ASG with the blitz and make it a 3 or 4 day festival.

Reply #158987 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No build up that way. Middle of the season, during the festive period. Give the players days off in the lead up and afterwards so those not participating get time off for Christmas and New Year?

Reply #158988 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Would it be possible to have it at the season's end during the grand final series? - Have exclusion for the two teams in the grand final, but there are still plenty to chose from. It may also be an opportunity for players to show case themselves a bit as free agents at the season's end?

Reply #159000 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I reckon anyone in the ASG has already showcased themselves (except Muursepp!), plus a few players tend to split once they're on holidays.

Needs to be during the season I think. I just don't see how having it during a break and on a weekend is impossible to facilitate.

Right now, there are 13 teams. Play each opponent twice and have six extra games. Bring it back to playing each twice. 24 games. That removes a few harder patches or less-preferable Wed/Fri/whatever games and evens things up. Also frees up time for the ASG.

Then, the reduction in games should mean that clubs drop their season ticket price/commitment slightly - a $300 ticket to $240 for example, so that's more accessible. Then, teams can either drop their player offers a touch to cover the reduced games/revenue and likely fit within the cap a little more realistically. Keep the cap is - Hawks and Pigs can spend under it, and others can do whatever as is currently the case.

Fairer, more balanced schedule. More accessible season ticket pricing. Only downside is fewer games - I can't believe we're already past the first third of games. In a 24 game season, we'd be at the mid-point. Do people want fewer games or more?

Reply #159028 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I see merit in each team playing each other 3 times to have a clear series winner - particularly in a tight competition. What do other national competitions do? I don't mind paying more for season tickets if there are more games, but there should be a fairer schedule where more teams play on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday with less weekday games. Would players at this level rather have two games over the weekend and have the week to train and recoup?

Thoughts?

Reply #159046 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't agree Isaac to have less games and drop the ticket prices. The player's salaries won't vary because of less games, however the sponsorship dollars and ticket sales will therefore the clubs need the extra games to earn extra money. I agree every club should play each other 3 times to establish a series winner. Besides that, why reduce the games that home fans can go to, to accommodate the AllStar games that only few can.

Reply #159082 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754