Isaac
Years ago

NBL vote on franchise player exception

Spotted a mention on the Herald Sun site about the NBL owners pushing for a change to the salary cap that would allow each team to sign one player whose pay did not count against the cap.

This rule would be familiar to A-League fans where clubs can bring in an expensive drawcard.

They will vote on the idea at the league's next board meeting in Melbourne, before the All-Star Game on December 12.

The proposal is a long way from being over the line, but there is a feeling among some owners that signing one player per team outside the cap can add value to the NBL and increase the standard of play.

"It would help ticket sales, media, merchandise, sponsorship," one team owner said yesterday. "The downside is some clubs might not be able to afford it. There is support for it and it will be considered at the next board meeting. The reality is some clubs are getting around the salary cap anyway, so we need to change that."

Full article: NBL clubs want rule change on salary cap

It's come up a couple of times on here before - what's your view? As a club owner, would you vote for it?

Topic #13639 | Report this topic

dry back  
Years ago

i believe in a few seasons we wont have a salary cap, just a points cap.

Reply #159056 | Report this post

Ostrich 44  
Years ago

So this way Cairns, Melbourne, Brisbane can have a legal team on court!

Reply #159058 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It's an interesting concept. I think if all teams will be able to do it then it is fair otherwise its not. If its not possible for all teams to do it then perhaps other teams can do it for a few games during the season just for advertising purposes such as Romero in the A league.

The problem I think is it would be hard to get quality players though as the NBA season runs at the same time as our season. Therefore we would only be able to get retired NBA players or European players and not sure they would be worth it.

Reply #159060 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

it would make the league a lot more exciting, however for the teams that are struggling and dont get many spectators they cant pay a superstar to play for them, im still for the idea as long as the weaker teams can get assisted funds

Reply #159062 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Pity the NBL doesn't have money to offer assistance to clubs unlike the AFL and the A-League.

Reply #159063 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think its a great idea but agree with Boom Patrol, something would need to be set out to protect the less wealthy teams from becomming obselete.
As to getting retired NBA stars, I'd still be happy for MJ to come fill in for us occasionally:) Dont think I'd say no to a guy like Reggie Millar whos only a season out of it either

Reply #159064 | Report this post

balling is life  
Years ago

It'd be an awesome idea if this happened. We could probably attract obviously some bigger names and/or attract European players or even those who just miss out on NBA rosters!! as mentioned it'd create a bigger hype with attendances, merchandise, sponsorship etc.
Do it i say!

Reply #159065 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

we may not get nba players but it may mean imports like Chris Williams and guys of his callibre may be able to play here longer and earn similar to what they can get in europe which would be a good thing in my opinion

Reply #159068 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Everyone seems to be talking about imports. What about Aussie players that go to Europe or are currently starring in college (Ogilvy, Mills etc) and may be tempted to go to Europe, for instance, instead of returning to play in the NBL because of money. This would be an obvious solution. Sure it would be great to get an NBA type player but what about players like David Anderson, Matt Neilson,Luke Schenscher, or dare I say, Brad Newley, would this attract them home.

Reply #159070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One benefit would be that if, say, the Bullets brought in a big name import (rather than Ere or Rychart), that would free their replaced import up to go to another team. Nothing wrong with that.

Reply #159076 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

will we also be able to do the same with our dream teams or will we have to sign them as a normal player? if i'm able to sign homicide and not have it class as part of my salary then i'm all for it means more money for a quality bench....

Reply #159085 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754