XY
Years ago

Action plan 07/08 to revive Sixers organisation

Sixers pre-Christmas action list:

Sign a contract extension for Davidson for two years

Sign a contract extension for Ballanger for five years and convince him that Adelaide is the place he wants to finish his career

Cut Chappell, find an import SF with promise to be a 20-25 ppg import with good d (but realistically more likely to be a 15-20 ppg import with average d, but still giving more than Chappell)

Cut Dench and, points allowing, bring in Schench for the rest of 07/08. Assist his rehab and get him healthy.

Get a healthy Maher back on court asap.

Sign Mottram and Coops to a further one year contract extension

Sixers post-season action list:

Release: Ng and Sutton

Evaluate performance of second import or look for another import SF.

Sign Schench to a three year deal (with injury waivers)

Thank Copes for his help and contribution to the game of basketball in this country with a retirement send-off fitting for a future hall of famer.

Do some proper scouting of young players in the AIS, Big V and Central ABL and at US Colleges (hell, why not start now).

Find a young Aussie SF with long-term NBL prospects (a.k.a a younger version of Holmes)

Find young Aussie PG or SG to be groomed as the replacement starter for Maher in 2009-10 season

Thank Phil for his services but inform him that his contract will not be renewed.

Find a new coach who will run a more structured gameplan and develop a new breed of Sixers. I am a Smyth fan, but I think that 11 years of his guidance has lead to too many fundamentals being forgotten that will only be revived by a few years under a structured gameplan.

Topic #13661 | Report this topic

angry  
Years ago

We currently have 5 points up our sleeves. Schensch having played NBA will be a 10 pointer.

I pretty much agree with you word for word XY

Reply #159242 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

I would like to see the 'structured gameplan' moved from the post season to pre-xmas action list.

Phil has always allowed his guards to call the plays, but when their only class guard Brad is sitting, the team seems to float or freeze a bit. The plays that fed Ballinger relentlessly last week were no where to be seen yesterday but the ol pick and roll for the guards was back..

Reply #159243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Ng!

I'm happy for him to play a backup role of 10-15 mins per game

Reply #159245 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

angry, releasing Dench would free up points but I can't see Schensch coming back at this time.

Reply #159246 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

As I have said constantly....when Smyth leaves this club will be a basket case. The decisions he has made over the last few years will have far reaching effects into the future. When you only give a shit about your own arse, with no consideration about what would be best for the club for the future, the long term ramifications are significant. Losing all the young SA talent is unforgivable. Could we do with a Holmes, Forman, Ingles right now? I think so. Good luck to the coach who takes over next year, you'll need it.

Reply #159249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree XY however not 5 years for Ballinger.

Have to keep these guys hungry. Another 2 plus 1 perhaps.

Plus you arnet allowed to sign guys for 5 years anyway.

Reply #159250 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Izzy, you have covered one of my major gripes with Smyth as coach.

Reply #159252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't want Luke. I'm sorry, i know he is a local boy but he just is not that good!

Reply #159256 | Report this post

in tha know  
Years ago

I agree with 1st post i was at game yesterday my first sixers game in a while too,and noticed sixers lacked leadership, consistancy, and motivation.crocs just seemed more up for the win. I also agree with cutting chappelle imports are spose to at least score 15 to 20 pts per game,we need a athletic 2 or 3 man that can rebound and play d and create of the dribble........and dunk on some heads!!!! to get fans into it.

Reply #159259 | Report this post

Go back in time to 2003...in the Deloren.

Sack Phil Smyth

Sign and recruit:

Newley
Rogers
Forman
Holmes
Ingles
Kersten
Seebohm
Maher
2 imports

There is a team ready to go for a decade!!

What Smyth has done for S.A's future has been dispicable.

Reply #159262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds great mate but unfortunately most of these guys are on contract for next season.

That list alone though is enough reason to get rid of you know who.

Reply #159263 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

People keep mentioning Forman, Holmes and Ingles. Does anybody actually know if they want to return to Adelaide in the near future? Ingles has continuously said he is happy at the dragons, Holmes is apparently working in the off season building a life post basketball and Forman just signed an extension of his deal is NZ which would suggest he is fine playing overseas.

Why would any of those players want to come back to Adelaide regardless of the coach?

Is it Smyths fault we lost all the talent or is it the fault of the then owners of the club for not offering them more money?

Reply #159269 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

It's the fault of Phil Smyth for not valueing these players, allowing them to go elsewhere and build careers which they could have quite easily done here given the chance and nurtured. It's not the ownership, it's not the 'circumstances' at the time, it's not because the planets didn't align, it's because Phil Smyth, the coach, made these decisions. That's what coaches do, make decisions which time ultimately proves wrong or right. Well time has proven him wrong, now a decision will be made on his future. He can go out gracefully admitting defeat or bleating like a stuck pig about this and that. Which way do you think he will go? History certainly points the way.

Reply #159273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its great to see all inspiring GM's but too bad no-one has the authority to do anything from this forum...

Reply #159275 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

you mean highest scoring fantasy team who is also a hoopsSA poster doesn't get to coach the team next year? Bugger.

Reply #159280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No authority but rest assured this forum gets looked at. If you had truck loads of money invested in a dud, wouldn't you be trying to gauge the public sentiment any way you could?

Reply #159281 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Everyone seems to be certain that all the players have left the 36ers because of decisions by Phil. Is this actually the case? It seems that a lot of the decisons revolved around the previous management and was based on dollars, and no other reason.
Isaac may or may not be able to answer why Oscar left but he might be able to tell us if The Big 'O' actually wants to return or has he settled in NZ?
Someone mentioned getting Rogers back - that person obviously doesn't recall his stats when he was here and the fact that he is injury prone.
The odds on Newley returning are remote at the least -his stats in Greece are good and the NBA beckons next year.
Read another thread on this site about Schencher (from his agent) - not likely to return in the future.
Ballanger certainly, particularly when he becomes naturalised.
I think we might be lucky to see another season out of Brett (unfortunately) due to his recurrent injuries (we can only hope for more).
If your looking for young Australian talent to recruit then look at the Hoops US sight run by Chris Anstey - it give all the stats for Aussies (over 100) at Colleges in America.
If you want to provide advice/comment/ridicule about the 36ers then BE REALISTIC. Get the facts before you post comments and advice on how the team should or shouln't be run. Most people who give advice may be avid fans of the 36ers (which is great) but they aren't qualified (myself included) to play or coach at that level (unless they are disgruntled ex players or coaches who are too old or has beens)
It is unlikely that things will change a great deal this season, so if you are an avid fan then make sure you support them and maybe bring a friend to the game. We are still getting the best crowds even if we don't fill the Dome. Go 36ers.

Reply #159315 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The intent of this thread from my part was to look to the future and not the past. No need in my view to descend into yet another rant on what brought us to our current predicament. Recriminations are unhelpful for an action plan for the future.

With some shrewd recruiting and a bit of luck I can see a young vibrant Sixers in two years time playing up-tempo basketball with a core group of experienced players in Maher, Davidson, Ballinger, Mottram and Coops, possibly with two additional imports once (if) Ballinger is naturalised.

Without an action plan of some sort, I fear that the Sixers will never recover from Maher's retirement. Currently our succession planning seems non existant.

ANON12:

'Get the facts before you post comments and advice on how the team should or shouln't be run.'

Not sure if this is directed at me or not, but I can't see why there is any reason why a bit of speculation is not reasonable. If not Schench, then form a plan b. Just make sure there is some sort of plan. I also can't really be bothered reading up on all the intricacies of the NBL's rules, that is the front office of the Club's responsibility. I merely make suggestions as to what I would do if I was in the Club's position.

Reply #159328 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Izzy do you have any clue i doubt it.Lets see Smyth leaves and new coach coming in will struggle due to Newley,Holmes,Forman and anypne else you want to put down not being there due to Smyth.Get over it they all left for more money can dress it up any way you like Izzy but they were offered a lot more money to go and the management wouldnt do anything with outside employement to match those offers.Im not sure what even you would expect Smyth to do about that.Not that you would accept that If Smyth goes do you think these guys will come back, not for less money would you?even if out of contract

Reply #159339 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can only speak for one of those names, but Oscar wasn't offered "a lot more money" or outside employment.

BTW, you'd have to agree that keeping them within the team is cheaper than losing them and having to win them back?

Reply #159346 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

No question its cheaper to keep them but if you dont make a good offer what choice do they have.If Oscar didnt go for more money then he was sold a good story maybe a starting spot but his game certainly hasnt improved for leaving and even you Issac as his brother would have to agree.He certainly told Pottsie a different story and a few others re his offer,he told them a very different story to yours.So i guess we will never know unless the tax man tells us.I recall Smyth defending Oscar when previous management tried to dud him maybe you could ask Oscar about that doesnt sound like Smyth got rid of him why do that if your trying to get rid of players.

Reply #159354 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Cheaper on the points system as well...

Reply #159356 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Smyth was quite happy to let Holmes and Forman go. Did not fight hard to keep them at all.After an ordinary year he gambled on the fact he could recruit someone better and came up short. Don't even get me started about Ingles. That is the biggest f%ck up in Sixers history. Anybody care to defend that one???
I don't expect any of these guys to come back, why would they? They are all doing better than when they were here and in teams far superior than the Sixers. It is always somebody elses fault or reason with you Smyth supporters. I, for one, would have so much more respect if he simply came out and said 'yep, I got that one wrong' or 'the buck stops with me' but we don't. How much longer do we have to endure this endless stream of diatribe. Do any of you really believe he will be reinstated next year. If so please state your reasons why or resume your positions under the rocks you are currently hiding under.

Reply #159362 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

anonymous/jammer/joker whoever it is this time - I didn't say anything about Smyth - what are you talking about? You're very touchy about that issue, I get it.

No, Smyth didn't "get rid of him" (nor Holmes) - the club were too slow or not interested enough to secure his contract, he got an offer that he liked for a number of reasons and made the move. He has since been happy with his situation (likes the coach, likes the club, feels like a valued part of the organisation, etc) and extended that contract.

DB5 - yes, a significant advantage also. Kings have done really well out of that with Kendall, Worthington, Crosswhite, Carter and so on.

Reply #159366 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Tigers do exceptionally well with re rating players as well..

To get Holmes or Forman back would be a slap in the face to the fans. Should never have been let go in the first place. IMO

Reply #159370 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Good one Izzy you have clearly shown you have no idea what goes on and you have also shown regardless you hate Smyth .Luckily now we all know your agenda spread a rumuor with no fact and hope it sticks good luck cos it aint working.

Reply #159385 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Don't hate him at all, just do not respect how he runs the Sixers. Could you please elaborate on how you came to the conclusion I have no idea what goes on? And what rumour would I be spreading?

Reply #159388 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Having seen the Breakers a couple of times this season I can back up what Isaac is saying. From my seats I get a very good look (and sometimes listen) to the visiting teams bench and Oscar (and all the Breakers for that matter) seem like an extremely tight group who are enjoying what they do. They also seem to have an exceptional rappore with the coach and while it is clear they all respect him as their coach it seems more a mutual respect situation rather than a dictator coach (ala Joyce/Gorj) IMO its the little things like this that can make someone want to be involved in their program and often be happy to even forgo some $ (within reason of course) to be part of the team.
This is what is needed - to get the Sixers back to being a club that players want to play for (not just the lazy ones wanting to play for a soft coach)....its how we get back to that culture that the club needs to work out - and fast!

Reply #159398 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth was quite happy to let Holmes and Foreman go thats CRAP.So lets just start with that one totally wrong

Reply #159401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"luckily now we all know your agenda "

i think we know yours too anonymous!! does he tuck you in at night?

Reply #159405 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Well said Statman .

Reply #159406 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

anonymous/jammer/joker are you Phil's love child???

Reply #159412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drop the word "love" TR and I think you have hit the nail on the head!

Reply #159413 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"It's not the ownership, it's not the 'circumstances' at the time, it's not because the planets didn't align, it's because Phil Smyth, the coach, made these decisions. That's what coaches do, make decisions which time ultimately proves wrong or right."

Yeh we lost Holmes and Forman...during a season we could only offer a ONE year contract due to ownership concerns, thats not Phils fault, if you think that I'm so glad you dont run a business.
I never heard the words, "I dont want them playing in my team", infact I remember hearing, "we really wanted them to be a part of the clubs future"(not a direct quote).

Our shooting on Sunday was what, 30% at the end of the game, I guess Phil should have made more shots himself, then we would have won.

As much as I like Mike Chappell, he needs to step the hell up, last time he was almost leading the league in scoring..now he looks like he is barely trying, When he drives to the basket, hes doing well..but 3 times a games not going to help us.

This Forum went to Sh$t when the whingers started filling posts. My Comments done.

Reply #159422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that during the period that Mark Nash was given a 2 year contract?
Oh wait, yes it was. Don't come on here trying to be a big noting tool when you clearly don't know the facts of the matter.

Reply #159425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skud he led the league in scoring years ago. in his last year with nz he wasnt that good. and surprise surprise he isnt that good now. theres a different between wanting them and respecting them with the right offer. they offered more money to farley and a paycut to dusty and look at what happened. any response to nashys 2 year deal?

Reply #159428 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think a couple of good moves to help revive the sixers this season would be to bring in Wethers or Powell whom are both playing D-league for Chappell, or even the Josh Pace guy who i think was mentioned on the ozhoops forum and then bring in Schenscher for Dench, if Schencher isnt possible either keep dench (as not many decent aussies available, if any) as a reserve and give the younger guys like Dodman some more minutes, or loook to bring in a young SF like a Blascynski who was playing really well in college last season, not sure where he is atm, i think bringing in a Blascynski (or a similar young guy) and or playing Dodman and Burdon more would do a number of things, rejuvinate the team a bit with enerjy, excite the fans seeing some young guys doing well, especially if we continue to lose, atleast we are tryin to build for the future and if done successfully may even save Smyths job, if he shows interest in re building the team and developing young players. This along with a change in imports could put our season back on track, help us rebuild for the future and keep the fans interested.

Reply #159546 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

"It is unlikely that things will change a great deal this season, so if you are an avid fan then make sure you support them and maybe bring a friend to the game."

If I had bought a friend to the game on Sunday, I doubt they would have ever come back again and I would've felt it necessary to apologize to them.

Reply #159592 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

"Our shooting on Sunday was what, 30% at the end of the game, I guess Phil should have made more shots himself, then we would have won."

We shot poorly because our offence was so crap. A very small percentage of the shots taken were decent, most times down the floor, it seemed like we were always forced into a contested 3. This is because of 2 reasons:

There is no decent structure on offence that we seem to be able to turn to when we can't score.

And

There was no player out there who could create anything on the perimeter and get open shots for others. Our import needs to be able to do this and its why Chappell should have been gone long ago. Without Maher, we desperately need someone who is able to rescue the offence by taking on their man and creating their own shot or drawing the 'D' to create for others. Its been shown over the course of the season Chappell can't do this.

It's silly to say "the team shot 30%" therefore its not the coaches fault" or, "the other team shot 60%, there was nothing we could do". In very few cases these comments may be justified but if your only shooting 30%, there is in most cases going to be something wrong with your offensive system and it was pretty clear that was the case on Sunday.

Reply #159596 | Report this post

Sleepy Flloyd  
Years ago

'Hello, Ian Stacker speaking.'

'Stacks, Mal Hemmerling here.'

'Hi Mal, how's it goin', how's that team of yours doin'?'

'Well not so good.'

'Yeah, I've been watching and you guys suck. In fact the only wins you've had, has been against teams who have been dicked by the draw or through injury. You guys don't have one legit win.'

'I know, I know.....it's really pissing me off now as it's costing me money. I've shredded the coaches and players but it makes no difference. Maybe all those people are right, we do need a change. Phil has done his usual job at BS'ing the public and I've got Boti in my back pocket so the bad press has been minimal. But you know we can't keep covering this thing forever....which in fact is why I'm calling. What are you up to next year?'

'Well you know Mal I've started up my own scouting business. It's going great guns, I know every Aussie in college in the U.S and talk regularly with player agents so I've got my finger on the pulse when it comes to imports. In fact I just helped Andrej Lemanis out when Turner went down. Greene was a real nice snag for them. I called and left a message for Phil to see if he needed help recruiting at the start of the year but he never got back to me. Anyhow I guess Dench and Chappell were...ummmm, real nice pick ups! Actually, my scouting report of them at the time suggested.....ohhhh, never mind. Anyway what can I help you with again?'

'Well I need a new coach, a coach who is going to turn my ship around as it's sinking fast. I wanna get rid of all the old guys and build it with youth, preferably SA born and bred youth. You interested?'

'Well....yeah, but Mal all your young guns are all playing elsewhere. Smyth saw them as expendable,what am I supposed to rebuild with? Holmes,Seebohm and Jingles are at the Dragons, Kersten and Forman at the Breakers and there isn't anything playing locally that could make the step up and make an impact. I know I can get Newls back if things don't work out for him. Don't hold your breath though as he's tearing it up at the moment. Hard to win the Melbourne cup with a donkey Mal. When the Sixers were a marquee franchise I would have jumped at it but now....well, let me think about it. I'll have a chat with Ninny as well. You gonna fly me in again?'

'Yep'

'See you soon'

Reply #159888 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Going to need a fan fiction section soon...

Reply #159890 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Throw in a few musical numbers and some tap shoes and we will have 'HoopsSA - The Musical'

Reply #159891 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Hmm interesting thought skip - at the moment you would have to think its the start of "The Producers" with Phil in the lead role!

Just cant see anyway of turning things around aftr interval!

Reply #159893 | Report this post

except for the fact aus bball doesn't make any money at all, whether it is failing or not.

Reply #159908 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754