Isaac
Years ago

Breakers sign Orien Greene

Born: Feb 4, 1982
Height: 6-4 / 1,93
Weight: 208 lbs. / 94,3 kg.
College: Louisiana-Lafayette

Drafted second round in Bogut's year and played 80 games with the Celtics backing up Delonte West. Then played limited games with Indiana the next year and a few this season with Sacramento before being waived earlier this month.

Breakers general manager Richard Clarke said the club worried that the player market would be bare given that the key European and American leagues were into their new seasons.

"We knew we were facing a tough task to replace a guy like Wayne Turner, and were a little nervous about who would be available in the market," Clarke said.

"If we had been looking even a week earlier Orien wouldn't have been available.

"But we got lucky with the timing and our US-based scout alerted us to Orien's availability and was able to convince his agent to take a look at the opportunity.

"As a result we will have a pretty good player arriving here on Friday."

Won't be ready for the game against the Dragons, but should be set to go after that.

I remember the name from Fantasy NBA. Hopefully he's better than Pierre Wooten was last season.

Topic #13680 | Report this topic

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

I remember seeing him play for the Celtics a couple of years ago- that cat can ball.

Exhibit (a)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q9a4iHcoTRY

(I don't know how to embed vids so help me out Isaac!)

Reply #159489 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Legitimate 3rd string NBA point guard, can't ask for much more than someone who's made an NBA roster 3 years running.

Reply #159490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sucked at the celtics, had a couple of good pre season games but got bounced around some teams. That said should be good as a guard in our league, with just his athletic ability.

Reply #159491 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spanish - on the YouTube page, look for the Embed code just to the right of the video. Click that, Ctrl-C to copy it, and then paste it in a post and it'll embed:

Reply #159492 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I've have to check but I'm pretty sure the fence around my house is painted in the colour of Orien Green.

(What sort of name is Orien, anyway?) :)

Reply #159502 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

How is it that the Breakers can continuously grab quality imports like Greene (he will be good in our league) and Powell while we make do with the Horvath's and Chappell's of this world????

Don't answer....... I already know.......

Reply #159506 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hasn't been a perfect run - remember Wooten? Apart from that, not too bad - Melzer, Bailey, Wethers was OK, Powell great but not much of a team player, Rickert, Turner, Greene (hopefully decent).

Reply #159508 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I remember that bloke, he was pretty bad... At least they have to balls to cut a bloke if he isn't performing, and they aren't scared to bring in another player into the squad. From memory the last player we looked at overseas was Farley.

There imports have been a pretty consistently good. At least Powell put bums in seats whilst he was here, can't say the same for Chappell. The last 'bum in seats' guy we had was Farley.

Reply #159510 | Report this post

TurnerFan  
Years ago

TR, Turner is out injured. I agree though its a good pickup. I would have thought, given our import situation, dire team position, Smyth would have been onto this one......

Reply #159513 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I like Turner, bar his jumper, but I was referring to Wooten about being cut cause he was terrible....

Wootens numbers (8 games):
PPG: 9.88
APG: 2.00
RPG: 2.50
SPG: 1.00
FG: 33%
3P%: 19%

Chappells numbers (12 games):
PPG: 11.75
APG: 1.58
RPG: 4.08
SPG: .042
FG: 34%
3P: 28%

Reply #159515 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't think Wooten got cut, they just didn't play him that much. Wooten's game-by-game stats FWIW.

Reply #159517 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

My bad, though he was axed....

Wooten only average 20 mins per game compared to Chappell's 30.23 mins per game.

Makes Chappell's stats look even worse...

Reply #159522 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Centrebet has the breakers at $19.00 to win the title this year.

I got them at $24 pre-season.

Reply #159544 | Report this post

Mufflover  
Years ago

Fkn nice pick up, he will dominate the NBL.

Reply #159548 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They've been as high as $17 I think. I got the Kings at $8. 36ers have drifted from $17 in the pre-season to $101 now.

Yes, their record is a bit average, but I think $101 when Maher is still to return and they could pull the trigger on a new SF import is interesting.

Reply #159549 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Greene was never really anything more than a situational defender in the NBA. Most Celtics fans thought he was totally useless.

He carries the ball a lot when he dribbles and was never really able to run an NBA offense against pressure.

Excellent defender however and should be a terror in the NBL and will have a height advantage against every single matchup.

Reply #159550 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

It's a shame my funds are tied up in election betting which don't get released until Rudd is sworn in :(

Reply #159551 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Did you see him on the Youtube Vid fly past Iverson and throw it down?
Must have some speed and quickness and athleticism.
Anyway, it doesnt matter if he comes into the NBL and doesnt score 30 a game, Because Lemanis has said he just wants to win.
He hopes Greene will help the team win, and his defensive ability really should help the team win.

Reply #159562 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

He was useless at the Celtics (but so was half the rest of the team at the time), I agree with Mark, his main flaws were ball handling and offensive plays.. but the same could be said for many other NBA rookies. His upside is speed and athletic ability, he potentially could dominate the NBL. Give him a few seasons where he gets some proper playing time so he can develop and I would be suprised if he didn't manage to get back onto an NBA roster at some stage.

Reply #159578 | Report this post

A good pick up but Ryan Kersten could have easily stepped up as he has shown in the past. Should have let him do wat he does best...DONINATE

(Mod: "DONINATE" is officially the new slogan of this forum.)

Reply #159580 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

Ryan, you maybe should have done another year of College!

Reply #159598 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

"and will have a height advantage against every single matchup.
"

He looks impressive, but he'll be looking "up" at Darnell Mee...

Reply #159645 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Another plus with the Greene signing is that we've got to be getting close to having an All-Colour NBL five (all-time, not current) with five different colours:

Greene/Green (as in Mean Al)
Black (x2 - Alan/Steven)
Brown (Jeff)
White (surely we must have had a White in 20-odd years)
Grey/Gray (likewise?)

Any other coloured names people can think of? (I won't pay Cyan Kersten)

Reply #159681 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

To answer my own question: there's a Rowan Gray with the Blaze, not to mention Gerald and Justin Brown both bouncing around in the league right now. Still on the look-out for other coloured names.

Reply #159683 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone recruit Redd from the Bucks.

There have been seven Browns in the NBL but no Gray or Grey that I can recall or find on NBLStats.com?

Edit: Duh, Rowan Gray, development player. Not sure he's played a game yet though.

Reply #159684 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

What about: Shawn Redhage.

(I'm reminding me of Hubie Brown, when he was coaching in the NBA, who would apparently talk so much in his press conferences that after all the journos had run out of questions and were in the process of packing up and leaving, he'd keep Q&Aing with himself in a monologue, ie:

Hubie: Hubie, why did you try that full-court pressure in the third quarter?
Hubie: We had to change it up, try and put them under a bit more pressure with their decision-making...)

Reply #159685 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Upon further reflection, single-colour names are so yesterday: I give you the manifold-coloured, ferociously-dunking Brett Rainbow.

Reply #159829 | Report this post

Ryan Kersten 4 MVP i agree with you!
ryan is a spark of the bench that no one can stop!

Reply #160065 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Except sharks. Snakes. Family Feud on TV. Pizza Shapes. But apart from those things, unstoppable!

He is like NZ's answer to Adelaide's GOAT, and for that reason, I shall dub him The KID.

Maybe KID could stand for 'Kick It, DONINATOR'?

Reply #160067 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754