Isaac
Years ago

Boti: Chappell, Dench "under the gun"

Just spotted Boti's article for today: Import, Dench under the gun

Yesterday in the wake of another blown opportunity to move up the ladder -- Sunday's 82-92 home loss to Townsville a potential back-breaker -- 36ers' owner Mal Hemmerling addressed the team after practice.

"Mal came in and spoke to the whole group -- the players, the coaches and staff -- in the changeroom after practice," Adelaide coach Phil Smyth said.

"Basically he was saying he expected more, which is fair enough from his point of view."
Re: the upcoming GC Blaze game, bit of an injury scare:
AllStar selection Adam Ballinger will play after missing training with a sore back which troubled him through Sunday's home loss.
Pressure is on.

Topic #13683 | Report this topic

afro  
Years ago

"Obviously if you continue to lose, you have to look at the reasons it is occurring," Smyth said. "Do you make change for change's sake? Right now, the easiest thing in the world to do is to point fingers. The old: 'he can't play, he can't coach' stuff. The next two games will tell us what, if any changes, need to be made."

what about the 12 previous games??

Reply #159526 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

those 12 games were used for 'gelling' purposes...

Reply #159528 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mute Mal ain't so mute in this case. Hopefully it fires them up for Wednesday. Not having Maher to defend Harvey again hurts.

Reply #159531 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

The signs are all there. Phil is doing the media rounds, doing seemingly every possible interview.
Mal has addressed the team directly...

Reading between the lines after listening to Phil's radio interview last night I suspect Chappell has been given the next two games to deliver.

Reply #159532 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Thing is, he could quite easily come good for those two and then slip back to mediocrity. Then what do you do? Seasons gone all because somebody didn't have the goolies to make the tough decisions early on.

Reply #159534 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I really hope Chappell does step it up, hes got the skill and the class to score 20-25 a game, he just isnt.

Reply #159552 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Gold TR hehehe

"The old: 'he can't play, he can't coach' stuff. The next two games will tell us what, if any changes, need to be made."

So..if the next 2 games are not successful (i would be interested in the definition of successful), then the decision would be..cant play ..cant coach, and we would sack the people who cant do those things?

Reply #159556 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I dont think he does have that skill anymore, Skud...he WAS agreat NBL import, but his time has passed.

Reply #159561 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Does anyone know?

Young Aussie gun Stefan Blaszczynski, Did be just stay a few extra months at St. Nicholls State Div 1 US College to finish his studies? He was a senior last season so cannot play this current season.

Would he be looking to play somewhere in a couple of weeks? Does anyone know? 6' 5" Big guard / small forward, 3 point shooter? Does anyone know where he is at the moment?

Reply #159567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Training with the Razorbacks

Reply #159568 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

ok,

he is training with the Razorbacks, that means he is unsigned and in the country. Is the same Stefan that was ranked in the top 5 Aussies in Div 1 last season?

why is he only training with them?

Reply #159569 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea could the 36ers snap up Blascynski??? they should definatly have a crack

Reply #159570 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

bring him in to train for a week, he is young and plays a couple of positions aka Mike McKay, wouldn't harm having a look at him ..

Reply #159571 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

who is he???????????

I didn't even know we had Aussies in College in America

Reply #159573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMFG! Someone remove the mushroom from above Phil!

lmao , doh Homer!

http://www.aussiehoopsamerica.com/2008players.html

Reply #159575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes it is the same stefan. but i don;t know if we will solve the 36ers problems. the razorbacks chse to sign clint reed and rhys carter over him so how good can he be.

Reply #159577 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Anonymous 159575

Think you missed my point of using the alias phil

Reply #159585 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

couldnt hurt to give him a shot though, atleast at training, and if hes better than say a Ng or Sutton or Dench put him in the 10, atleast he would be a future prospect, and if he does well could rejuvinate the team and save phils job

Reply #159586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

159575, think Phil was joking mate, hence why he went under the name Phil.... derrrr!

Reply #159588 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

stefan is better than both of them. he is a flat-out scorer...he would start for several teams in this leage. not many australians put up those kinds of numbers in div1

Reply #159865 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he was that good, wouldn't the Pigs or Slingers have grabbed him already? Or the Hawks, to replace Tait? There must be a reason he isn't in the league already?

Reply #159870 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

is he not playing nbl cos he is still looking at Europe and asking too much $$ for an unproven rookie?? or do clubs not view him as good enough despite a excellent college career, if he isnt asking too much $$ i say the 36ers should loook at him, atleast bring him in to train, a young back up SF is exactly what we need and if he turns out to be decent like a matt knight who has also returned from college, then we could hav a great pick up and someone to build around, which could help make up for some of th losses of young talent we have made in the past

Reply #159872 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:30 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754