SVD
Years ago

Simmons on Patrick Mills

Bill Simmons is doing a 6 hour chat now on ESPN.com and this question came up - thought you maybe interested

Bill Simmons: (6:16 PM ET ) Can't do that one because it's NBA AS Weekend but I really want to do a St. Mary's game, supposedly their Australian point guard is amazing. Patrick Mills? I think that's his name.

Topic #13702 | Report this topic

InfoGawd  
Years ago

Will he go to the NBA next year or the year after is the question?

Reply #159851 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Give him 3 years at St Mary and his will be drafted.

Reply #159856 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

He would have to be consistently amazing to get draft first round due to his height 5'10".
Second round is very possible as teams seems to looking for fast pg lately.
If he hows the ability to defend taller pg (ie 6'2"-6'4") he could go late first.
NBA teams seem to worry about short pgs getting posted up by guys like Baron Davis.

Reply #159866 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Late first round next year IMO

Reply #159867 | Report this post

InfoGawd  
Years ago

I'm with you LockStock. Aussieballer, I think he is / will be. The thing is this.... If he didnt have the ability to defend taller guys at that height (he does) will those same guys be able to defend him?

Reply #159875 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

The issue is with the bigger point guards posting up they are right near the basket and can consistently either score or draw fouls on their shorter opponent. Yes the smaller quicker guards can beat them off the dribble but they still have to finish over shotblockers at the rim.

Reply #159894 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Do we have to have this same topic (Mills to the NBA) every week?

If he is quick enough, both up and down the floor and with his shot release, he can overcome the size difference. Compare him to TJ Ford, both sub 6 foot guys, both quick and both capable passers. TJ couldn't shoot coming out of college, but still was able to be effective. Patty clearly can shot it, and also has quickness. He also can pull up on the spot and get good evelation before his release, which combats the height difference. Maybe he doesn't have TJ speed, but is lightning quick none-the-less.

The only major thing standing in his way is the fact that he is at a mid-major college, but that can be overcome by St. Mary's making the Tourney. If he can take a small school to success, and put up solid numbers consistently, then he can most definitely make it. Maybe not this year, as the PG spot is DEEP in 08, but he could end up a first round pick in a couple of years.

Reply #159922 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

not to mention he has already proved all of the above playing for Aus

Reply #159927 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Yeah, but playing against Paul Henare is alot different to facing up against someone, you know, good.

Reply #159931 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

The Olympics have, in the past, helped a lot of players to improve their NBA chances - Newley, Heal in Australia and many others from Europe. I think if he puts in a strong performance in Beijing (and I think Goorjan surely HAS to start him now) then he should be a shoe-in.

Reply #159940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:21 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754