Bo Hamburger
Years ago

NBA players' Chinese nicknames

Who is the Stone Budda? Africa's Big Mountain? Little Flying Mouse?

nba.com has the answers to these, and other NBA players' nicknames as they purportedly translate to Chinese (and back to English again).

My favourites: Steve Francis ('Special Rights' - a direct translation of the word 'franchise') and Grant Hill ('Mr Nice').

Link found through reading a good piece here about Steve Nash, which says that he doesn't rate a mention on the Chinese nickname list (but his teammate, 'the French Magician', does).

Article also drops another interesting info nugget: one-third of all hits on nba.com are from Chinese interwebbers.

Topic #13705 | Report this topic

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

(In Professor Farnsworth voice from Futurama)

Good news everyone: I've just got some info from K-Rudd's office - he's translated some of the Sixers' Chinese nicknames to their English equivalents for us:

Maher - Courage Captain
Ng - Dr Ninja
Davidson - Busy Hornet
Copeland - Grandfather Time
Smyth - General Malaise
Dench - Old Roty
Mottram - Brother Runner
Chappell - Black Ghost

And in case you're wondering, the equivalent hits ratio for Chinese interwebbers on nbl.com.au is one-eleventieth.

Reply #159934 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

A slight tangent on the original topic, but check out this site that tells you what your professional wrestling name is:

http://www.wrestlingname.com

Here's some I prepared earlier:
Phil Smyth = Great Venus
Brett Maher = Uncle Demon
Darren Ng = The Grand Spider

Enjoy.

Reply #159981 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754