Kent Brockman
Years ago

Ten Reports Sixers on look out for new import

Watch the sport to see more

Topic #13706 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Poor form now an ankle injury probably finish Mike on Monday.

Reply #159959 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

missed it. wat was said?

Reply #159961 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Phil said Mike only played 3 good games, not consistent enough and the import is always first to be chopped.
Ch.10 guy said sixers looking for a new import possibly as early as monday. and Chappell now has an ankle injury.

Reply #159962 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

disapointing if chappell goes.

Reply #159963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha

Reply #159965 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

How is Phil not going to another press conference because no one came and got him, how about you know you have to do it so turn up

2nd time for that excuse

Reply #159967 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

He was on the phone to Mal at half time remember!!!

Reply #159969 | Report this post

oldtimer  
Years ago

I remember the last time an import had an 'ankle injury'... it happened just after Ken Cole noticed this new guy Mark Davis over from NZ playing local comp for South....

Please Phil NO Rashad Tucker ! Look for someone fit and with a rifleman's accuracy. Shooter required !

Reply #159970 | Report this post

JRay  
Years ago

So Phil, will you admit you got that one wrong? Will you ever admit you made a mistake? Will you ever take ownership of the situation or is there always a reason or excuse? How much longer before we hear 'the buck stops with me'? Not much fun now is it when private ownership accountability comes into play. Forces of the universe are in play,in short.....you're screwed.

Reply #159972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha

Reply #159976 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i think he did not get it wrong in principal. Mike was a good player and he was playing well in the Japanese league i think i remember reading. If mike played like he could at his peak it would have been fine it just appears he has lost it and the injury did not help. He was also long enough to play several spots, i think its just that it did not really work out like everyone wanted, and as a club we are slow in making decisions about letting players go and it costs us games.

I Hopefully we go for a new guy to the league if for nothing else its exciting and teams have no scouting on them so if they can play at a decent level they have a good chance to really help. Does anyone know when brett is expected back? oh and cut dench at the same time, or play dodman. end rant.

Reply #159977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Phil on 102.3fm this morning.... made me VOMIT my breakfast!! Lame butt, pathetic moronic excuses and comments. ALL he seems worried about is how damn great he sounds on radio, all lovey dovey and smiles and laughs. The "Super Coach " they call him.... OMFG of what?? Bullxxxt?!

FFS Phil this is NO laughing matter. Get your ass off and out od the media, stop being a so called A list celebrity and START being a flamin' basketball coach!!!

Reply #159982 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Phils broadcast are exactly what they should be, he backs his players, As a coach you dont stand there and point out how shit or bad your players are. Its fairly simple to see that this is what he is doing, perhaps you should look at the bigger picture sometimes, or have some experience in things before you comment. What he says to the media isnt always what a coach will say to a player.

Also Phil wasnt wrong to sign Chappell..I remember ALOT of post here about his signing, everyone was happy. He WAS a good player, this years its not working for him, maybe hes still sore or whatever, either way a coach can never know how a player will play, you judge past performances..and Mikes were fantastic, so you sign him on the hope thats they will continue to play that way.
Phils only mistake was letting it go on for this long, and that was a gamble either way since he could turn it on next week and be a star for the rest of the season...so you hesitate to cut a player you know CAN do it but isnt right now. If we had cut Chappell then watched another team pick him up and have him destroy us and every other team, you would be whining about that.

Reply #159987 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

whateva happened to jason gardner from arizona a few years back? was wicked player in college and didnt get drafted, maybe if hes still playing give him a shot, or anyone decent in the nbdl who isn't going to get a real shot at the nba through that

Reply #159988 | Report this post

doddobird  
Years ago

Reply #160001 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Brant Bailey?

Reply #160003 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Jermaine Blackburn?

Reply #160004 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Joshuapending - playing well in the Japanese L. should have set off alarm bells, as it is at best ABL level... Big bucks but the level is ###t (i am not exaggerating here - the fact that teams can have 3-4 imports doesnt help either... cause the local players still reek... it is truly hard to watch...) - Like most domestic sports in Japan with the exception of Sumo and Baseball... I think he will be the last signing out of Japan for a while... Need more evidence - Matt Garisson has held down a job here for a few years now...

Reply #160007 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skud, generally and probably for the first time I agree with you (!) but:

- Chappell's output in his last NBL stint was declining; his last season in NZ was not great; did we have a chance to see recent video of him playing before signing?
- if we cut him, no other team will pick him up - why would they?
- he's not going to consistently perform - just seems that this is how he plays from now on; I think he's just lost much of what he had

To others, Jermaine Blackburn is in the CBA averaging 12 or 19 PPG, something like that. The guy I reckon they should get (Josh Pace) is in the CBA averaging 27 PPG, 7-8 RPG and 4 APG. He had 37/7/7 (something like that) in last season's NZ semi against Jason Crowe (torched him), and 20/5/5 type games in both of the GF series as his team swept their opponents.

Reply #160027 | Report this post

Skyhigh  
Years ago

Maybe we could entice Phillip Champion (Hot Sauce) or Grayson Boucher (Professor) to come play for the 36ers?

Reply #160051 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Josh Pace would be a great fit Isaac .
Very good all round player and could handle multiple spots defensively .
He is both unselfish and hardworking .

Reply #160061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Trust me, I've suggested him to the club! Someone said the Breakers were keen on him before getting Orien Greene too and they would've seen a lot of him over there.

Reply #160064 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

.. so long as any new player has even half the heart that Davidson has, they will play 10 times better than Mike.

Reply #160078 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Pace

He sounds good I take it his 3pt shot has improved since college. 2-20 for his college career.
We have plenty of 3pt shooters anyway I guess.

If he can bring some energy and drive to the ring with authority then I am sold.

Reply #160079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Look up his numbers in the CBA. Avoids the three, but FT has improved to about 75% which is fine. 61% from the field for a 1-2-3 player is very good. Is in the CBA and last played in the NZ NBL so unlikely to be expensive either.

Have heard that Farley would make a return if wanted, but I don't know if they'd do it.

Reply #160084 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Pleeeeeeease....no Farley. He was terrible last year. Why change on dud for another?

Reply #160086 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm not a fan but at least Farley can score

Reply #160087 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Says he's a 196cm PG/SG can he play SF in this league? That's about Ebi Ere size i guess. Impressive CBA numbers.

Reply #160100 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Isaac you have to understand most of my posts are made after reading alot of whining posts that piss me off on this forum, so I rattle out a post that i cant even understand 5 minutes later.

today, most of the posts where actually DECENT so i didnt get pissed of by the whining

Reply #160113 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

get farley back...please....a bit of a break from it all...u never know we could see prime farley again...and THAT was amazing...right now id take last year farley in a second as well...still put in solid scoring numbers and at the very least made you wanna go watch the games...bit of buzz in the stands is needed...badly

pace looks awesome though - but its adelaide

Reply #160125 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea either would be great, i am a farley fan but i woulnt mind seeing a fresh face come in to replace Chappell to be honest, aslong as they pick the right player of course. If they cant find any one who hasnt played in the nbl who they think wil be a upgrade, atleast Farley is a upgrade on Chappell.
Still prefer a fresh face but wouldnt be too upset either way, the only other player who has played NBL before that should be considered is Brian Wethers, unless they can convince Chris Williams to come and play for us.

Reply #160134 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Farley teamed with Copeland - wow. Mark Davis is still looking fit and used to be an import. Give him a call too.

Don't look back, look forward. Recycling players that are past their prime is unlikely to win a championship.

Reply #160137 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i would like them to go new as well, if they went back i would have a look at jayson wells.

Reply #160145 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

I agree with previous posters who point out that on credentials, everyone in general was happy with Chappell's signing at the start of the season. Pity was that he came in with an injury that took a long time to get over and then the club held onto him hoping that he'd improve for way too long. After waiting for so long they won't be able to get a good enough player to lift them out of their hole

Reply #160170 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

few for a moment there joshuapending i thought you had said jason williams

Reply #160179 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Quasi - not necessarily. See Breakers and Orien Greene. Willie Farley has apparently even put his hand up. A number of D-League and CBA players might be options too?

Reply #160224 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

does anyone think that they are actually looking? are they just saying this for chappell to improve his game and to make the supporters happy?

Reply #160225 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The way Ch10 report went was that it was all over for Chappell and to expect a new import on monday.
But on ch.7, Phil was putting pressure on Mike to improve.
Seems his best is gone, Farley better option.

Reply #160230 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Rich Melzer? He's in Germany now. I know he played PF/C for the Breakers but he was regarded as an NBA SF when he tried out for the Spurs. He'd be a great replacement for Chappell.

Reply #160286 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754