James W
Years ago

Recruiting targets for next season

Hi all,

firstly I'd like to say g'day, I'm a new member on this forum...long time Sixers fan and also season ticket holder for the past few years.

Secondly...while it's only mid season, I was discussing with a mate about recruitment targets for next year; not that this season is gone by any means, but going on current form, what roster changes would you make for next season?

Assumptions: Newley cracks the NBA or stays in Europe; Ballinger is still an import; Chappell is retained until seasons end.

(apologies if this thread has been done to death).

IN - Grizzard, if available (I can't see Singapore surviving) to play at SF as our second import (assuming Ballinger is still import status).

IN - Another tall to come off the bench for Mottram / Cooper. (not sure who fits this category).

KEEP - Ballinger. The dude is a gun, and appears to be a great club man.

KEEP - Mottram. He's the most effective centre we've had for seasons...similar to a Wheeler in that his numbers don't accurately indicate his impact.

KEEP - Cooper. Provides great defense off the bench, and is able to score a few points if required too. For a defensive player, is rather good at avoiding foul trouble.

KEEP - Davidson. AKA "The spark the Sixers have needed for the last 4 seasons". Dude is a champion, and works well with Maher.

RELEASE - Chappell. Poor guy, must be tough to struggle like that after being a highly sought after recruit. Hopefully he finds his form again somewhere else.

RELEASE - Dench. I was never convinced of his signing to begin with, something never sits right with me about centres shooting threes when their name is not Anstey.

RELEASE - Sutton. I think everyone got a bit too excited when Smyth have him a few minutes last season and he hit a few shots. Needs much more development if he's ever going to be an NBL player.

RELEASE - Ng. Apparently he's not sure if he wants to continue next season, due to medical studies. Considering he's a few seasons from being an effective replacement for Maher, keeping him probably wouldn't benefit us until a few seasons from now.

RETIRING - Copeland. Hopefully we can send him off with another title ( =) ), but in any case, he'll be retiring from a team that his valued his contributions greatly.

That's my 2 cents, feel free to praise or flame me.

Topic #13749 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

You didn't mention the coaching situation?

Reply #160385 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Thought I'd leave that can of worms closed. I do not want to see Phil Smyth's coaching tenure continue, as I'm not happy with a lot of the lineups I see on the floor, and the lack of plays (still) to get Ballinger or Mottram the ball inside.

Reply #160387 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

James W, welcome to the forum.

This is what you've got so far:

Davidson
Maher
Grizzard
Ballinger/Another Tall
Mottram/Cooper

In: Grizzard, A Big (any ideas on who?)
Out: Sutton, Copeland, Chappell, Ng, Dench

One target could be Janev at the Slingers (though he's starting there and might not want scraps behind Ballinger?).

Reply #160389 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Ng must be retained. Showed what he can do on Sat night and has stepped up. Surely the out of contract Jacob Holmes should be a target and maybe look at someone like BJ Carter to replace Copes.

Reply #160391 | Report this post

Much will depend upon the coach.

Money is not everything even for import players like Grizzard so do not expect that everyone wants to play for the 36ers.

Time to get Jacob to come back to the 36ers .

Reply #160395 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't think Ng will be around. Doubt Carter would want to leave his beloved Kings or that they'd let him go?

Reply #160400 | Report this post

JJH  
Years ago

Firstly, I don't think Mottram is a starter.

Jacob should be the highest priority. It will be tough and South will probably sign him before the season ends (if they haven't already??). It will also depend on the Sixers coaching situation.

If we did get Jacob, I think the league is small enough to start he and Ballinger at 4 and 5. (You still have Cooper and Mottram off the bench if you need more size).

I'd definitely keep Ng to give:

Davidson
Maher/Ng
Grizzard
Holmes/Mottram
Ballinger/Cooper

You could actually run with that 8 if you wanted to:

1: Davidson 36 min, Ng 12 min
2: Maher 36 min, Ng 12 min
3: Grizzard 36 min, Jacob 12 min
4: Jacob 24 min, Cooper 6 min, Mottram 18 min
5: Ballinger 36 min, Cooper 12 min

You would have to have a perfect injury record tho. Ideally we need a backup point guard that is an upgrade on Sutton and a backup 3 man.

Does anyone know much about Daniel Dillion who is currently in his final year at the University of Arizona? Could be a possibility?

Reply #160401 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

I didn't think of Holmes returning, but he could indeed be an effective small forward...

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned Luke Schensher. I particularly left him out as I'm not sure his long-term interests lie in the NBL (and I'm not sure he knows either). Although, it could be interesting if we secured him for at least next season, Mottram could be brought off the bench at centre or SF as the rotation dictates.

It'd also help mitigate my pet peeve, which is Smyth having 4 small players on the court at once at times (I always cringe when I see Brad Davidson guarding someone in the post).

Ng was someone I'd be hesitant to release, the main reason I suggested it is he still seems hesitant when given the ball...especially with the very touchy-feely-slappy defence every team seems to love to play these days. I couldn't make Saturdays game due to a wedding, but I wish I could've, it sounds like he really knocked it up a notch. Don't spose anyone has a copy on tape? =D

Reply #160423 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't see Mottram playing SF - doesn't have range on his shot that I've seen.

And with Ng, I don't know that it's going to be the club's decision as to whether he plays on with them?

Reply #160426 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ng has been taking time off from medical studies to play for sixers and vice versa. Next year,no more deferment,means one full year to complete the course,and one season not playing.

Reply #160427 | Report this post

Martini  
Years ago

Since it seems to be the post of new people. Hello, names Mat; first time forum user, long time bball fan, short time ticket holder.

Half of Adelaide's bench for years now has relied on the whole "developmental" players. Apart from the occasional flash-in-the-pan from Ng, there really hasn't been anything standout since Forman and Holmes still warmed the bench. You could probably empty half the bench and fill it with "experienced" talent.

In regards to the coaching; why Davis isn't coach yet is beyond me. It's about time we swapped from a guard-based coach to a big-man coach.

Reply #160443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What legitimate coaching experience does Davis have?

Reply #160447 | Report this post

Ryan Kersten anyone???

Reply #160449 | Report this post

Martini  
Years ago

Well, considering he played basketball... that does it for me.

No one is actually born with coaching ability. You basically either watch or play the game and then coach.

So why not Davis? or even KB for that matter.

Reply #160451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heard enough around the traps to know neither are great coaches and kersten is already signed for next yr maybe

Reply #160453 | Report this post

Skyhigh  
Years ago

Kersten has a 2 yr contract so is out of the question.. Daniel Dillon would be a welcome aquisition to add some life and enthusiasm to an ageing back court.. But i would also keep Sutton but only using him sparingly a couple minutes here and there wont hurt..

Reply #160836 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754