Sonvolt17
Years ago

Player Salaries in the NBL

Just out of interest am wondering what some players in the NBL earn. I know the salary cap is set at $810,000 but some clubs would have to be well and truly over that mark.

Topic #13753 | Report this topic

Martini  
Years ago

I think you'd have to consider at least 3 marquee players for each team over the 100k mark easily.

Most of your starting lineup would be around 80k+ with the change going to the bench.

Reply #160454 | Report this post

Sonvolt17  
Years ago

Read on another post how Saville was on a couple of hundred grand more than the max which is $170,000.

No way Bullets, Tigers, Kings, Breakers, Taipans are under the cap.

Reply #160456 | Report this post

Martini  
Years ago

Considering the hateful starting lineup the kings have with 2 imports on the bench.

You'd be giving Smith, Saville and Worthington more than 100k easy and I wouldn't be surprised if Kendall and Crosswhite are up there too in that category.

Reply #160459 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Read on another post how Saville was on a couple of hundred grand more than the max which is $170,000.

No way Bullets, Tigers, Kings, Breakers, Taipans are under the cap.

What is your source?

Reply #160486 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

abney is on around $400000

Reply #160489 | Report this post

Sonvolt17  
Years ago

If Abney is on $400k than how the hell are the Taipans under the Cap?

Reply #160492 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who says that they are?

Reply #160494 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I sure as hell don't :-)

Reply #160506 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

how much would jawaii be getting this year?

Reply #160522 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Maybe the NBL should adopt the NBA rule with regards to exceeding the salary cap and at the same time have more operating funds. My understanding is that for every dollar an NBA team exceeds the salary cap they pay the equivalent amount to the NBA as a penalty - in some case this amounts to millions of dollars. Now I'm not saying that NBL teams can afford millions of dollars but this type of system would certainly have an element of reality whereby teams would have to reveal what they are actually paying players. Cynics might say that teams will still conceal payments but it is an alternative to the current system.

Reply #160538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've always thought the luxury tax would be worth considering but, as you said, there's still the issue of enforcing it.

Reply #160542 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Assuming it was enforced, it would just serve to bring the average player salary down, which would mean that more players would be playing off shore and lower the competition.

Great idea in theory, in reality there is just not enough money in basketball in Australia.

Reply #160544 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Stat padding follows.

Of course only a few years ago (c.2001?) the salary cap was set at $1,100,000. You can't really expect the salary cap to be properly enforced when the cap is reduced to $750,000 in one year (now back 'up' to $810,000).

What are all the players supposed to do, be happy with 32% pay cut and keep playing for the love of the game? Not very realistic.

Just because the salary cap was reduced doesn't mean that the player's value on the international market was reduced. If you want the talent you need to pay what they are worth.

It seems to me that the NBL's salary cap is just designed to give the appearance of a level playing ground, without any intention to make a level playing ground.

Reply #160547 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

The cap is to save clubs going broke, 1500 crowds how can they afford more?

Reply #160551 | Report this post

Sport Rort  
Years ago

Saville is on $350,000 (turned down 400K at Brisbane)

Brisbane has 3 players who combined are over 1 million.

How do they get away with it? They pay to use 'their image'....such as I will give Sam Mack 300K to use his image for a poster...etc

Reply #160566 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Cairns New Mascot

Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com

Reply #160577 | Report this post

Bullet love  
Years ago

What 3 players at Brisbane? Mack, CJ and Ere?

Reply #160579 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Brisbane has 3 players who combined are over 1 million"

I don't know if that's the case THIS season..... I think one of those players was a recently retired member of their championship team who came accross with a very low points rating and played Centre.

I Could be wrong though.....but there's plenty of players on rosters everywhere that are payed more than the league maximum.

Reply #160580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

then put dusty on top of that.

same sort of situation in cairns with cat, mee and abney.

Reply #160582 | Report this post

WeAreGlobalNow  
Years ago

Qlder , Eddy Groves would be worth close to $1Bill that is how they can afford more. Dropping $1million (PLUS) on 3 players is like pocket change.

Reply #160588 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

i think eddy is worth closer to the $300mil mark, still pretty loaded but usually the people who get that wealthy dont like flushing $million+ down the toilet every year.

Reply #160598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do the guys that are on basketball australia contracts get much more???? of so how much do they earn????

Reply #160601 | Report this post

astroboy  
Years ago

I think XY is quite right, the salary cap is just a figure to give the appearance of a level playing field. Most if not all the clubs are over the cap (by alot), but they aren't exactly going to dob another team in when they are over themselves. Plus the NBL wouldn't want to enfore the current cap, as the quality of the league will go down.

Reply #160602 | Report this post

dry back  
Years ago

This whole we will lose all our players to Europe if they enforce the cap I don't believe is true, IMO what is happening is that these wealthy owners are after certain players and willing to pay then ridiculous amounts of money and then the other players who aren't that far off these players are thinking to themselves wait a second, he is not worth double/triple what I am, and then next year he wants his salary doubled.

Its a vicious cycle but I truly believe that although we have some players that are good enough if the salary cap was enforced there would be no mass exodus.

Reply #160632 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

On top of that, I don't see European teams knocking on the door of every NBL player.

If they don't get more, they'll go to Europe. It's not even an option for most of them who would have to play as imports.

We would only lose those with Euro passports and not even all of them, since the Euro leagues don't need our rubbish.

Groves, McPeake, etc will screw the league with their big spending.

Reply #160633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree

Reply #160666 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I agree that it would be rare for Aussies to make Anderson-like money in Europe, but plenty of Aussies have played there (even if only during NBL off seasons).

Off the top of my head I can name numerous Aussies currently in the NBL who have played overseas: Rogers, Maher, Mottram, Anstey, Catt, Pero C, Jones, Heal, Penney, Rillie, Smith, Stiff and CJ. There are probably others, not to mention past players such as Bradtke, Gaze etc.

Not all those players are 'elite' and I can't think of any of them having EU passports (I could be wrong).

Europe may not have its eye trained on Aus for imports but if you think that all of the elite players here couldn't get a gig over there if they were truly interested I would be shocked.

The question comes down to whether for the lifestyle or 'extra' pay it is worth it for Aussie players to ply their trade as imports (with the uncertainty that comes with it) in Europe or sit comfortably in a team in AUS being paid a great salary.

Change it so that a Catt or Saville or CJ can only be paid max $175,000, or much less if the team was 'stacked'. If they could be paid double that in Europe, of course they would go. But why would they if the NBL is paying them what they are worth on the international market (which is way more than the paltry NBL salary cap). According to the NBL basketball players were 'worth' 30% more 7 years than they are now. That is not a sustainable model.

Reply #160680 | Report this post

Fireman  
Years ago

What are the salaries like in the euro league div 1 and 2? And what about the other countries not in the euro league like england etc. Steven hastings from North is playing over there, I wonder how much he's makin?!?!

Reply #160755 | Report this post

Lebron James  
Years ago

Man I wish I was playing in the NBA. NBL SUCKS!

Reply #163100 | Report this post

Lebron James  
Years ago

Why do the crows fly upside down over the NBL?!?!?

Reply #163101 | Report this post

Lebron James  
Years ago

BECAUSE THE NBL IS HARDLY WORTH SHITTING ON!

Reply #163102 | Report this post

mixer1111  
Years ago

yeah cairns was way over......gaze was on 350,000 in the mid to late nineties and Shane heal was on close to 750,000 a=in his pat several years

Reply #254851 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754