Isaac
Years ago

Rickert out four weeks, NZ search for new import

For the Dream Teamers out there, Rick Rickert looks to be out for four weeks and the Breakers are on the hunt for a new big man import.

Couple of hints on OzHoops that the replacement for Cattalini/Tucker in Cairns could be a former league MVP. If true, wouldn't that most likely narrow it down to Brian Wethers or Chris Williams?

Topic #13767 | Report this topic

Jonno  
Years ago

wow is chris williams available for NBL?? if so i hope the 36ers are sending him a offer, he would be a HUGE pick up, i wouldnt mind wethers either,

Reply #160667 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When last I heard that Adelaide talked to Wethers, his price (from what I heard) was quite affordable. I don't believe that was true last year.

Haven't heard anything linking either to Adelaide.

Reply #160668 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea, well if either are available and in the right price range i think we would be stupid not to sign them, they are both awesome players, and would be a definate upgrade to our roster

Reply #160669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt wethers is available he just started a season in th NBDL

Reply #160679 | Report this post

Mal and Phil  
Years ago

What, can they do that? Can they find another import mid season? What do you mean, this would be their second mid season import? Wow, why did we never think of that?

Reply #160683 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Thanks for the info Isaac.

Reply #160688 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Speaking of Rickert, I just spotted this in an article on ESPN.com (a simulation of Boston's season using Live 08 as a guide)

And if there is any playing around, expect KG to go Rick Rickert on someone's face, as he, along with Allen, certainly didn't come to Boston to play around.

If you want to read the whole write-up just go HERE

Reply #160691 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I'd be shocked if Chris Williams returned to the league. Wethers is very overrated in my opinion. He was possibly one of the worst MVP's I can think of. Yeah sure he scored some points (on some pretty bad teams mind you) but not at a great clip. And he really doesn't do anything else - he's a bit of a blackhole once he has the ball and doesn't rebound that well for his size.

Having said that he could provide some points for NZ in Rickert's absence. If it's C Williams then wouldn't you just cut Rickert completely. In fact that would make me mad beyond comprehension if Williams was available but we didn't get him because we don't have the balls to cut Chappell.

Reply #160697 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Williams/Wethers are possible replacements for Tucker/Cattalini in Cairns.

No mention of a possible replacement for Rickert yet.

Reply #160708 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Sorry, obviously didn't read your first post properly Isaac! Missed the bit where you said Cattalini/Tucker in Cairns!!!

Reply #160715 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Our import hasn't "played" for the last 3 monhts, but we still aren't looking!

Reply #160721 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Cairns couldn't possibly sign wethers or williams and stay under the salary cap.

Reply #160726 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they're replacing Tucker and/or Cattalini, why wouldn't it get past the NBL?

Reply #160727 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Dicko you make me laugh "Cairns.... stay under the salary cap"

best line i have read on here for a while, including, Isaac's everyone gets a basketball icon day last week.

Reply #160728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac.......what happened to Josh Pace as a replacement for Chappell? Is he unavailable?

Reply #160742 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure, but maybe they're looking into it?

Reply #160744 | Report this post

Phil McKracken  
Years ago

Sorry but that was a possible replacement that I sought out. I have no affiliation with the club but thought Jsh Pace was worth looking into.

Reply #160746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree that Josh Pace could suit Adelaide and passed on his name to them the other week. Seems versatile, puts in effort, could be fairly affordable and could go harder trying to get himself noticed by clubs for next season.

Gives up height to Chappell and isn't known for his outside shot at all, but he'd have to be a good chance to bring more PPG.

Reply #160749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isaac, i respect your opinion and you seem to be a very knowledgable person so i wanted to get your insight on the chappell matter. Do you think the sixers are trying to delay the inevitlable by using blood tests to determine if there is a medical reason behind mikes slump this season.? Even if the tests did show something than the sixers would be forced to cut him anyway if they were aware that he services were being affected? either way with all due respect i just think that at the end of the day Mike had to be cut for the good of the franchise even if blood tests did determine something that could be contributing to his form.

Reply #160771 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Were it my decision, I would've been researching alternatives after game three and, were a decent option available, would've made a change before now. But I'm just an armchair expert (who doesn't actually have an armchair and isn't really an expert) and my thinking might be different if it was my money being spent and if I knew Chappell.

I think giving him the benefit of the doubt up until now isn't ridiculous (couple of good games, others sabotaged by foul trouble or shots that might've otherwise dropped), but unless they discover something fixable from the tests, I'm with Boti.

Reply #160774 | Report this post

milky  
Years ago

year thanks mate, thats what i think is the issue, if there is a problem which is preventing his capacity to perform and it reverses his form then it was worth it but then you have to realise that if it continues to disrupt him ( assuming the blood tests show anything) he would be cut anyway.

i also agree, Mike has been luckless from the field and alot of shots seem to rim out for him. I aslo agree with your liking of Pace. i have heard about him and apparently is a hard worker who is gifted all round.

Reply #160777 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Just procrastinating at work so did a quick google search on Josh Pace:

Seems like he's a good hustle/ garbage man type player but has limited range on his jumper:

"But if you needed a loose ball picked up, or a key offensive rebound, or a guy to drive the lane, he often was able to deliver. During the 2003 Championship run, Pace was a vital part, with several key baskets and rebounds from off the bench. He shot 7 of 13 to score 14 points and help the Orangemen beat Auburn, pulled down 8 rebounds each against both Oklahoma State and Kansas, and scored 12 against Texas."

From http://www.orangehoops.org/JPace.htm

I can't remember him but I would have seem him play with Syracuse in their Championship run with Carmelo as I remember watching a fair bit of the tourney that year. (I was still a uni student then!!)

Reply #160780 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Josh Pace sounds like a great player, but i think the 36ers should be looking at a winger/3/2 sort of player who can fill it up from the 3 point line.

I think Balls, Mottram, Cooper can command the keyway hustle plays, we need someone who can draw players out to the the wing/corner and then dump to Balls inside.

Reply #160787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754