joker
Years ago

Rank the big spending NBL teams

Just sitting down with a group of us discussing all things baketball.Wondering which team has spent the most on there playing list we are still in dispute but wonder what others think.Our list is as follows 1 Brisbane 2 Sydney 3 Melbourne 4New Zealand 5 Cairns 6 Dragons 7Townsville 8Perth 9 Gold Coast 10 Adelaide 11West Sydney 12 Hawks 13 Singapoe.

Topic #13788 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

I reckon Cairns would be higher up and should be 2nd, melbourne still 3rd, sydney 4th, NZ 5th...

Apart from that, Thats pretty much correct I reckon.

Reply #160945 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Cairns are WAY higher, I'd go as far as saying that they are very nearly #1. Bris, Cans, Melb, Syd. Then your bottom 3 would be right. Just guessing, but I'd say that the other 6 would all be around the same mark.

Reply #160948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move Cairns up to #2 and drop Sydney down to about #5.
And don't think that our beloved team here are that far down either!
At least #7 on the original list and well over the salary cap.

Reply #160952 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cairns, Brisbane and Melbourne FTW!

Reply #160959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

adelaide at #10 is probably why youre called joker
very funny
wouldve been way over if newley stayed

Reply #160965 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

But Newley didn't stay or Schencher. Jacob never came back or Ingles or Oscar.
So the 36ers are probably 10th on that list.

Reply #160980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you have Cairns/Brisbane/Melbourne way ahead of the pack, way over the cap, then you have a group of teams who are right on or perhaps only nudging over or sliding under by a minor amount, and then a smaller group at the bottom who aren't paying up to it (or in a case or two, not even close).

Remember the Kings sat their second import for the first 5 or 6 rounds so they could fit him in under the cap, and about half their lineup (including three starters and their MVP candidate) were recruited as rookies (and are still on those contracts) and developed since, not in a bidding war as established stars.

Reply #160986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yet still paid 350 for sav?/

Reply #160993 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Who knows really......my best guess

WELL OVER.....

Cairns (were bad last year and STILL went on a spending spree to get Abney & Jawai)

Melbourne (Murrsepp on $50K? my fat hairy white arse)

Breakers (Penney, Jones, etc would not come cheap and they had to shop to get Bear. They also seem to manage enough to get some high profile imports)

Brisbane (would not be as bad as last year, but still)

Sydney (They love to try and tell us that all these Aussie guys want to play for Goorjian. Fact is, his programs have never been cheap and THAT much Aussie talent does not get put together without throwing some dollars AND they added Saville in the off-season)

Blaze (Spent big in their first season....Highly fancied imports, Harvey, Frank, Cameron and Melmeth all demand money)

A FAIR WAY OVER.....

Crocs (Won a bidding war with the Dragons for Pepper's services and Rillie doesn't come cheap)

Perth (Courtesy of a bidding war for Loughton, although the rest of their roster is probably not BIG $)

Dragons (Sad, but probably true....mainly due to swapping K for Groves and bumping Ingles contract and extending it a season)

6ers (Maher commands money, even if it's not quite as much as he could get elsewhere, they had to buy davidson in and Ballinger gets, and deserves good coin)

JUST OVER OR MAYBE UNDER.....

Pigs (Lots of young guys looking to prove themselves)

Hawks (Lots of nothing)

Slingers (Roster put together with 2 weeks to go before the season started, probably not much there).

That's my two cents.

Reply #160995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturty only way they are even close to under the cap is cos newley went.

Reply #160997 | Report this post

I think the crocs have put their roster together for around $900000-$950000.

so i dont know if these days that is just a little bit over or a fair way over, but as a fan i'm happy they did what they needed to do to put a relatively competitive roster on the court without going overboard with the spending.

Reply #161011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to agree with Isaac,

#1- Cairns, no question.

#2- Brisbane

#3- Melbourne very close to Brisbane.

Reply #161100 | Report this post

Frog  
Years ago

I've heard Adelaide have been over for years. It's the only way they can get anyone to come to the club

Reply #161252 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't believe that Adelaide were over last season when they had Horvath. Marginally under I think.

Reply #161303 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

The breakers have to be up there for sure.
Penney and Jones would demand good money
Greene would demand heaps! Coming from the NBA
Alston, their new import, would demand alot
Bear would have received good money to be lured from Perth
Guys like Mika, Forman and Henare would also demand some $$$
The breakers already have quality New Zealand players such as Penney and Jones, as well as 2 imports who have played in the NBA, (alston and greene)
I would think they are in the top 3.
Anyone agree?
It's weird though because the Breakers don't get very good crowd numbers, so you have to wonder how they have so much money to spend???

Reply #161412 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crowds don't necessarily relate to wealth of the owner. They don't have big crowds but have a custom-built two-court training stadium that looks pretty nice from the video I've seen of it.

I don't think they would be top three, but could be in the next group after that or close. I'd guess that the top three would be spending $1.2-1.6m.

Reply #161416 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754