Anonymous
Years ago

Boti blasts 36ers about Chappell

A day out from hosting Hummer Championship leader Sydney, the Adelaide 36ers find themselves in the most awkward predicament in the club's storied history.

Most know the job of import Mike Chappell has been on the line for weeks yet I do not believe the club has done much more than throw out a few emails, gather a folder full of resumes and bide its time as another week of the NBL season is lost.

And:
"Still, rather than release him and aggressively pursue his replacement, to my knowledge the 36ers have not actually spoken to a single potential new import as at my deadline last night. That is unforgivable, unprofessional, a slight on the fans - the very paying customers the program can ill-afford to lose and who have stayed supportive through some increasingly lean times - and cannot be helping the team any, either.

Article: No time to spare

(Mod: Link fixed.)
(Another Mod: Cleaned up quotes.)

Topic #13789 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

If that's true that's a disgrace, all we really need is someone following around the Breakers' scouts and getting to Rickert's replacement before they do.

Reply #160970 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

how come I"m not in the least surprised.....

Reply #160975 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

As luck would have it I happen to have a copy of the email that's been sent out.

"To: All NBL Coaches

Subject: Import

Hi guys,

Steve and I were on the golf course the other day and after a tidy bogey on the tough par 5 thirteenth Steve mentioned something about Mike Chappel not performing well this season. To be honest I'd not actually noticed, but when I got round to checking the stats a few days later I was shocked.

Anyway, I can't really be bothered replacing him, I'd have to interview prospective players, make some phone calls, you know, that sort of crap, but I get the feeling I'm expected to make it look like I'm making an effort.

Soooooo...... do any of you guys know anyone I could sign? Their skills are largely irrelevant, as long as they fit in with team chemistry and I won't have to manage them off court or anything like that. Ideally they will have played in the NBL before so I don't have to track down video tape of them in action.

Let me know if you've got anyone suitable, and if not, don't worry, I'll just stick with Mike.

I look forward to seeing you in the finals. I'm joking of course.

Phil"

Reply #160976 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I thought it was a good balanced report a difficult situation. The fact of the matter remains - Mal and Phil are showing that they are not prepared to respond to the needs of the club. The members/fans have been pretty clear about what needs to happen. The media has been very clear. Everybody knows what needs to be done and yet the very people expected to respond are sitting on their hands.

One thing is for certain, any season ticket holders that remain next year, won't have any trouble getting an upgraded seat. Sixers' crowds will resemble a Lightning game at best.

Reply #160977 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

"Billo" that was gold. I can almost hear Phil actually speaking those words!!

Reply #160982 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Billo.....what a complete pile of dogsh1t.

The Thirteenth is a par 4

Reply #160983 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

And i'm sure it's also the easiest hole on the course.

Reply #160985 | Report this post

Boti Nagy suggests that money is one reason that they have not cut Chappell, paying out his contract and buying in another.

Last game the crowd was down around 1000 people

Can Mal afford not to have those 1000 plus more come through the gate?

A decent import , hell even one that just puts up reasonable numbers but puts his heart into it will boost the crowd numbers

Reply #160987 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"That is unforgivable, unprofessional, a slight on the fans  the very paying customers the program can ill-afford to lose and who have stayed supportive through some increasingly lean times  and cannot be helping the team any, either."

Sums it up pretty well - pretty much the same thing that some of us have been saying on here for weeks now. It's a complete and utter insult to paying fans.

Reply #160988 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Well, I can say right now that next season, they aren't getting my membership $$$. It pains me too, as I really want to renew my season membership, but spending $300 after the debacle this season isn't gonna happen. I don't think I'm the only one either.

The sad thing is too, that if we actually had 15 points per game from Chappell, we'd probably have won more games. We need to remember that while his "average" is 11, most games have been around 8, he's just had the 2 standout games of 21 and 30, which bumps the average up a bit.

As Boti points out, I don't think we'll see any response (if any) until after Christmas either, not only because of the difficulty getting another import, but firing someone at Christmas time is a bit harsh. At least if they'd done it by now, Chappell would have some options to consider.

Reply #160992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boti's article isnt talking about smyth. hememrling being tight and club slow to find a replacement. shouldve happened weeks ago.

Reply #161000 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Yes that is correct, the article doesn't mention Smyth at all, yet he is as complicit in this as Hemmerling. Why he hasn't replaced Chappell would have every other coach in the league chuckling.

Reply #161001 | Report this post

balling is life  
Years ago

Good onya Boti!!

Reply #161004 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Chappell could even do the right thing and ask to be released couldn't he??

Reply #161005 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Is it Smyth's call? I mean ultimately?

Reply #161006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not ultimately. 3-4 factors at play I'd say - coach and assistant, then the owner who pays for it and then the guy organising it all.

Reply #161007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eddy is obviously not prepared to tip in any more money.

Reply #161009 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

And Boti will never criticise Smyth under any circumstances.

Reply #161016 | Report this post

Roseboy  
Years ago

Why would Chappell ask to be released? So he gives up his contract, his entitlements and then is on the merry-go-round trying to find a new club to pick him up? And let's face it, with his recent record, clubs aren't going to be falling over themselves to sign him up.

Its up to the Sixers management - pure and simple.

Reply #161018 | Report this post

Murf  
Years ago

we could have got Redhage a few years back when New Zealand cut him but then again Phil would have been, oops, Phil would not get the blame, (the sixers would have been blamed because Redhage is no good. How do we know Nagy told us so. Nagy wrote referring to Redhage " a man's got to know his limitations"). Of course since then Redhage has been all star five and favourite for MVP this year so if someone as "wise" as nagy can't pick a player then obviously it is difficult to do so and replacing Chappell may make you all feel good but it doesn't guarantee an improvement. One factor left out is that maybe it's the system that is a major cause. People are looking for blood tests to find why his production is low. Maybe it's the teams non structure. Put him in a better organised team and maybe he gets back to the player he was and still can be!

Reply #161022 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Excellent article by Boti!! Also funny as Letter by Billo!

If the cost is only $20k then surely if they get a new import and advertise/promote this new and exciting import, they could get 1000 extra people to the stadium which would get him his $20k back! There must be more to the story then just that or the management/owner/coach are purely incompetent (What a surprise)

Reply #161026 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Murf, could be the system, sure, but easier to replace an import than a coach and system during the season, that's for sure. Most of the other players seem to do OK as well. Moving on Chappell is definitely the best bang-for-buck option they have at this point, IMO.

Sure, a replacement might not be an improvement (examples: Brown in Perth, Reyes in Wollongong), but you have to give it a shot.

Reply #161027 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Murf you make a good point...but for all of our sakes, please learn what a paragraph is!

I do agree that the team structure leaves a lot to be desired. It pains me every time I see someone mis matched on Brad Davidson, or when Adelaide basically has 4 guards on the court plus 1 tall etc.

Reply #161029 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Murf, how does Chappells inability to hit the OPEN three, finish on the drive, make foul shots, play defense and grab rebounds, or the fact that he has lost his quickness have to do with playing in the wrong system?

Reply #161031 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Maybe it's not the 'system', more the 'culture'?

Reply #161037 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

If Phil sacks him does that reflect badly in Phils mind of his inability to pick imports????

Little men have big........egos

Reply #161039 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

It's all about money. Hasn't Mal had to get a part time job to help pay for his addiction?

Seriously I never thought that 36ers supporters would sink to the level of the Wildcats and that there were so many bandwagoneers.

Reply #161048 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Hopefully Boti is just warming up and hopefully will intensify his criticisms while the 36ers office and bench continue to sit on their hands.

They set a deadline of Monday for performance delivery, that deadline was broken and the only story that Boti has or news for the fans is that there is no story and there is no news.

Breakers have picked up two new ex NBA imports since the 'deadline of nothing' was set. Boti go for it, get on the attack for us and let that be the new story because our squad has a bit whole at small forward and teams will continue to drive a truck through that hole.

Reply #161053 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Skyhooked - Chapelle's game is reflecting badly on Phil's ability to pick an import. The best thing for it is to pick a new guy and everyone will be focused on that.

Reply #161054 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

you people are all stupid,

How can we possibly expect to cut and replace our import, do you have any idea how long it wil take for the team to gel after that???

;)

Reply #161058 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

only 4 - 6 weeks!!!!!!!!

Reply #161064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not going on official information or anything, but as I've said before, early next week is their best bet and an announcement then wouldn't surprise me. Week to prepare for a soft target, and then no easy patches until after Dec 25 if they miss that.

Reply #161072 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Boti great article where were you weeks ago and all those were telling us Chappel would come good ,it was a bumpy road on that bandwagon with wheels coming off all the time. Real worry if failure to replace is dollars
How can N Z etc get imports so easy financially and quickly and their crowds are much less than ours even now. Cant believe it if Boti right they havent even spoke to anyone yet. Wow.
Hope cut him soon as sticking to my word not to get frustrated and watch Chappel again, espec. to do some anti Goorg. barracking
Who is slower on defence Timmons or Chappel.
So sat. night off to St Nicks old folks home carols

Reply #161083 | Report this post

joel  
Years ago

Who thinks kevin Freeman would be a good option? He was close to them couple years back? exciting player that can draw crowds?

Reply #161084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

legal issue with freeman i think

Reply #161089 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Billo, thats better than gold !

That has to be the post of the year!

Reply #161127 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Just wondering if Smyth and Brenhey gave names of import players they wanted to replace Chappelle and Mal says no not doing that where does that leave the coaches.Not a real lot they can do there.Like your golf article very clever.

Reply #161140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charles Thomas was unceremoniously and unrelentingly criticised, ridiculed and BACK-stabbed by two people in devious ways, when imHo he gave a LOT more than Chappell has even given glimpses of! This whole saga is better than Desperate House wives now. Numbers will be on the decline unless some energetic blood is found.

Reply #161152 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Phil and his stooges wouldn't have any names for possibly imports.... that would involve scouting, making phone calls and getting in touch with agents and contacts..... too much hard work

Reply #161153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754