Cats Wax
Years ago

Fox coverage of Dam Breakers games !!!

Can some one tell me what is it with all the dam breakers games on fox. Is it they that dont cost fox anything and its a decision based on cost rather than being based on giving a fair share of the live games to all the teams. Not only is the amount of Breakers game over the top but it is the worst possible place to watch a televised game from. The stadium and view from the roof of it is frustrating enough but the moron commentators just take the cake. Its embarrassing how little they know about the game and as far as im concerned they may as well be speaking Maori the whole game because you cant understand them anyway. The chick whose name i cant and dont want to remember just reminds me of that little creature that sat next to Jabba the hut in Jedi and made undecipherable noices from time to time. Anyway i had to get that off my chest. I would have Carfino and Gaze do all the games if i could.

Topic #13828 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Take it easy Bro

The game has the Maori language in it as it is broadcast on the local Maori channel i believe.

Also there are many people that complain about the lack of bball on TV, whilst the commentators aren't Hubie Brown at least be thankful that you can watch 3 NBL games a week.

Reply #161470 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maori TV covers all Breakers home games, so Fox gets an easy option to re-broadcast them. They're mostly Thursday games when no other NBL teams are playing, so consider it getting a game for free.

The female commentator isn't very good but at least one of the others isn't too bad - at least he's enthusiastic. I have no problem understanding what they're saying when they're not actually speaking Maori.

Reply #161471 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Ill ignore most of the post and focus on the only valid point you raise.

If they only play these games because they get them at a good price/free, why aren't come clubs packaging their own games up and sending them over to Fox?

Reply #161473 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because running a live broadcast isn't trivial and I'd say that Fox's arrangement with the league prevents anyone else doing it. Only alternative might be the 36ers subsidising a delayed broadcast or highlights - they film the games now - and putting some local commentators over it (Scott Ninnis as one of them?), then pass it on to Fox, or offer it a day later to a local network?

Reply #161476 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Just be thankful that you can see NBL on TV and even better if it's your team that they are showing.

Reply #161477 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Isaac - The NBL cant have one rule for the Breakers and another for the rest of the league.

I understand it would be expensive to run it live, but as you said, the sixers already tape the game. Pay someone to do post and throw a commentary on it and its done.

I know it wont happen, but SURELY the sixers could put a 1 minute highlight reel together with Hummer/NBL/ABC Learning/Jarvis bumpers on each end and put it on YouTube/adelaide36ers.com.au after each home game.

The NBL just loses so many chances to expose new people to their product. A prime example is the Ebi put-back dunk for a few weeks ago. I wanted to show that to everyone I could think of, but do you think I could find the clip? Missed opportunity.

Reply #161482 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think it's the NBL's rule - more so a requirement of the contract with Fox that restricts live broadcast in Australia. Different setup in NZ.

Agree completely re NBL missing opportunities with video. They could easily emulate NBA TV putting stuff on YouTube to spread the word. I, too, had to wait ages to try and find the Ebi dunk online to see it.

Reply #161486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cats wax, the breakers games on fox aren't live, they're well and truly delayed and are normally aired on fox at 9:30.

Reply #161488 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I thought this thread was about Beavers!

Reply #161490 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I was curious since they have a package put together with channel 9 why cant that go up on the website. Even if it is the day of the game. I actually quite like that, and it is about the only time I make an effort to squint at the screen.

Reply #161511 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Take the extra game and be grateful,does it clash with your Home & Away?

Reply #161533 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Don't like the coverage, don't watch it dude!!!

I hate the commentary as well, but watch it as it is NBL (and Pinni is playing there).

Reply #161584 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Yea. I live in NZ and ill agree the commentry isn't that good, but it is better than nothing. That chick that commentates has played for the Tall Ferns, and Chris Tupu who does a bit of commentry and interviews players is the coach of the Nelson Giants in the NZNBL, who won the championship last year.
So they do know a bit about the game obviosuly!

Reply #161611 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Chick: "If they're going to win here tonight, they need the ball to go through the hole".

Just one of the many (blatantly) obvious calls that I've heard her make.

Reply #161618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably a highlight too. Don't like to give them crap because they're enthusiastic, but she is really not very good at it.

Max, Tupu is great. Been meaning to try and drop them an email - appreciate being able to see the games rather than nothing at all.

Reply #161620 | Report this post

Aims  
Years ago

Hey guys,
I live in Nz and agree the commentry is not good.
And just a point of interest the chick is actually Tania Tupu, Chris Tupu's wife and as max said she played for the Tall Ferns, should know what she talks about then

Reply #161627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754