billo
Years ago

Funny 36ers cut Chappell, seek new import

Boti's reporting that Chappell has been cut and that while Josh Pace is the main candidate to replace him there are four players they're currently looking at and 2 (Pace and a D-League forward) that they're a fair way down the track with.

Full story here

Found this particularly interesting

"Pace, a stand-out college player at Syracuse, is unlikely to be in uniform for Saturday's home game against Singapore, where Chappell may suit up for his last time as a 36er."

Surely once you cut the guy you don't then keep playing him until the replacement is confirmed? What if he does the sporting equivalent of stealing all the office stationery on his last day at work and tanks the game?

Topic #13849 | Report this topic

LN  
Years ago

Or on the flip side - what if he goes for 40?

Reply #161819 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I'm with you LN, that would be a bigger worry.

Reply #161823 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Gee you wouldn't think Mike would be pumped for that game...

Reply #161827 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Josh Pace played for the Nelson Giants in the NZNBL. He absolutely dominated! Scored at free will, although he is a penetrator and a player who loves to take the ball to the rim. His jumpshot is suspect..but he is a much better player than Chappell

Reply #161834 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"Surely once you cut the guy you don't then keep playing him until the replacement is confirmed? What if he does the sporting equivalent of stealing all the office stationery on his last day at work and tanks the game?"

True, but I remember Andrew Gaze saying a couple of weeks back that he was signed as an import in Europe as a replacement for Reggie Jordan - and was sitting in the stands I think as Reggie scored 39 points in his last game knowing that he was going to be cut. Put a fair bit of pressure on Gaze to come in and perform!

So maybe with the pressure off, Chappell can relax and have a good game. But I agree it does seem odd.

Reply #161837 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Very odd, laugh so hard if chappell goes for some big numbers.

Reply #161839 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

In preparation of Josh Pace stinking it up worse than Chappell, I'm starting the **Official** Bring Back Chappell Petition. There will be a banner advertising it at the next home game.

Reply #161841 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Just not INSIDE the Stadium tho doc!

Reply #161844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Halleluiah! Chappell is finally gone. Should have been done 3 weeks ago but atleast they've done it.

Reply #161846 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

It will have to be a 'Rat-Sized' banner otherwise you'll be chucked out.......

Reply #161848 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Sigh.

And to think, at the preseason game I was thinking "we're competing with the defending champs and we still have Mottram and Chappell to join the team...we're gonna be top 4 for sure".

As much as I appreciate the Sixers finally taking some action, it's not really going to change my mind about membership renewal...even if a new import goes for 20ppg, it'll be a slice of luck that we got him, and not necessarily the case that he'll stick around next season.

Reply #161850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You underestimate the guy that Chappell is. He'll go out and play with pride for his last game.

Even when his job was on the line, he didn't go out and just shoot the ball to try and pump up his own stats. I believe he's always put the team winning ahead of his own contract.

Although I'm sure it will be difficult, all fans should support him for the great guy that he is.

Reply #161857 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

I agree anon, i have been one guy that has supported chappell all the way on this site and i think some of you thought i was insain. Loved the guy and supported him all the way. I think its a shame we never sore a consistent Chappell.

Good luckk to himm in the future i say, great bloke.

Reply #161862 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yes good luck to him in the future. It's sad to see how this season has played out for him but thats life as a professional import Basketballer.

Reply #161870 | Report this post

Michael Fildes  
Years ago

Wait until kevin07 hears this! Workplace relations will never be the same again.

Reply #161872 | Report this post

ThE oNe AnD oNly  
Years ago

Leave chapell along hes done nothing wrong it wasnt his weed found in the bag it was planted and those bali judges didnt kno what they were talking about and cutting her will only make things worse..

Reply #161880 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Remember Sapwell after he was told he could talk to other clubs, then in the 2002 Grand Final - scored 18 or so off the bench (off a high clip too)

So that was his response to an end of season cut from a team playing in the GF. Will Chappell respond in a similar manner to a mid season cut?

Reply #161889 | Report this post

Ron Burgandy  
Years ago

How much time will phil be asking for gelling

Reply #161890 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Well i'll be a monkey's uncle! I stand corrected on this one Isaac, I never thought Phil would have the balls to do it (but I guess he does have balinger...), but it's good to see the Sixers finally make the move, although a few weeks late. I may actually enjoy watching basketball again in this town again!

Reply #161891 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner - you never know. Chappell did have 30 against Singapore last time!

Reply #161892 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

161880....WTF?

A decision has been made, it had to be made, much has been said of Chappells character, but its a business and he had to go. Good Luck

Reply #161896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac.........do you know when we are likely to hear confirmation of the new import and when they are likely to play their first game for us?

Reply #161946 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

When the dude (whoever that dude might be) agrees to play for next to nothing.

Reply #161949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anonymous, don't know. Going by Boti's article, not likely to be this weekend at least. Probably on the road trip you'd guess.

Reply #161951 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I like my irony delicious: wasn't there talk before the season started that the Slingers could be given a third import? Could they not sign Chappell in time for Saturday?

(Could he even play a half for each team?)

Reply #161978 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Had to be a Asian native, who would normally qualify in the league as an Import.

Reply #161988 | Report this post

BFresh  
Years ago

Is it possible we can give #161880 20 years in a bali jail for that joke?

Reply #161992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still don't understand why the Slingers don't sign an Asian import. It'd be great if we had our new import in time for the Tigers game. You can't possibly say that there isn't anyone in Asia who is willing to play for them. DICKO, why can't the Sixers offer a reasonable amount of money? We had enough dough to sign Newley and we never did, so why wouldn't that money be around now? I understand they have to pay out Chappell 100,000+ contract but I find it hard to believe they don't have an adequate amount of cash. How much would players be earning in the CBL and D-League anyway?

Reply #161997 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

BFresh , only if that joke is somehow disguised as a boogie board .

Reply #162017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bo Hamburger: "I like my irony delicious"

Been tested for irony deficiency lately?

Bo Hamburger: "wasn't there talk before the season started that the Slingers could be given a third import? Could they not sign Chappell in time for Saturday?"

As has been pointed out, the import needs to be ASIAN. 8 )

Spot the problem?

Reply #162102 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754