DDFan
Years ago

I sincerely apologise, & I gained NOTHING .......

This is cross your heart stuff. NO BS.
I've come across as aggressive & a pain in the last week. It was my plan to do so, in the hope of getting some attention. Let's face it, if I'd come across as a "team supporter no matter what", I'd have gotten the "Phil's Mum" comeback & all would've been wasted. I got your attention, but beyond that, nothing was gained. That's where I'm truly sorry (though I enjoyed the beers : ) )
On Mikey:
He was signed uninjured. Through unfortunate events, he arrived injured. Back injuries are extremely debilitating & it'd have to be hard for a sports professional. Infinitely more-so, than you or I. They can't take extended time off (especially in the case of top Dollar imports), or be side-lined to paperwork till they're 100%. They're in the predicament where "fans" have huge expectations of them, & want them on the floor. It's in "the Pro's" best interests to be out there & put on a show, that's their lively-hood & the best chance of extending their limited playing careers. He couldn't, & copped an ankle injury on top of it. Double whammy, but that's life, it doesn't always fall your way.
It's a tough time for the boys (& everyone who cares), Mikey's a top shelf, & a one of a kind lovely bloke. NO-ONE, in-house would've wanted to see him go, & definitely NOT without giving him EVERY POSSIBLE chance, to play as he can.
My other sticking point, is that without Mal Hemmerling, this Club would've gone down the gurgler before the season started. HE ALONE, stepped in to save the Club, & it must've amounted to a hefty investment. For season ticket-holders to then be rude to the man, & DEMAND a change, is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. That some of you aren't even season ticket holders, & only front on a selective single game ticket basis, yet STILL DEMAND that you be heard, is ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC. Who the Hell do you think you are?
There's more, but I'll see how this goes down before wasting any more of our time.
Best wishes
John Spencer

Topic #13854 | Report this topic

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

wtf r u talking about?

Reply #161924 | Report this post

hmmm  
Years ago

"My other sticking point, is that without Mal Hemmerling, this Club would've gone down the gurgler before the season started. HE ALONE, stepped in to save the Club, & it must've amounted to a hefty investment."

He was not the only, nor from what I remember, The highest bidder.

Reply #161925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boom Patrol, please take some time to itemise your points of confusion, & I'll try my best to answer them individually & as simply as I can.
Cheers
John

Reply #161926 | Report this post

sushi cowboy  
Years ago

yeah, imagine paying customers giving feedback. thats horrible.

not to mention that there were other solid and equally professional bids up there for the team. he didnt save the team from its death, he just got picked to buy it as one of the good options available.

Reply #161927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmm, Mal "PAID THE MONEY". Is there anything I'm missing?

Reply #161928 | Report this post

sushi cowboy  
Years ago

yeah, i PAY THE MONEY for a restaurant and serve up food that could be improved, maybe have a waiter that isnt pulling his weight. some people are naturally gonna give me feedback right? "you should have a talk to that waiter and replace him if he cant come good". im gonna cop some bad reviews. for some fans sport is religion and fanaticism. for others theres some paid entertainment in there. for even others they like dissecting it all and whether its praise or not they can certainly do so. you can do the "true fans" rant but watch mal bankrupt himself if he has to run just on those.. half the stadium must be game-by-gamers. you said that without mal the team was dead and that is definately untrue.

Reply #161931 | Report this post

JRay  
Years ago

(Mod: Personal attack.)

Reply #161932 | Report this post

Basket 41  
Years ago

"My other sticking point, is that without Mal Hemmerling, this Club would've gone down the gurgler before the season started."

Incorrect.

People thought that replacing Chappell would give the team a better chance of winning and said that. Mal agrees.

Reply #161933 | Report this post

Basket 41  
Years ago

"HE ALONE"

Eddy Groves, line 2! ;-)

Reply #161934 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I agree with DD Fan. There are contributors to this site that contribute nothing to the team. It is extremely easy to sit back and snipe at Mal,Phil & the team while offering nothing constructive. As for those that don't attend games how can they describe themselves as supporters even less fans of the game.

Reply #161935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CORRECTION:
146 reads so far. : )

Reply #161937 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

You still are an aggressive pain in the arse. So, according to you fans have to be season ticket holders to post their views? Nobody ever said that Mike shouldn't be given a proper chance and nobody denied that Mike is a terrific person. Mike IS a terrific person and he WAS given more than enough time to prove himself. How can you except fans not to give feedback and not to want the Sixers to replace an import who is not delivering?

Oh, and don't worry, I bought a season ticket before posting this.

Reply #161938 | Report this post

Basket 41  
Years ago

there should be a code of conduct for sports fans. if you dont pay up and show up you cant be a fan at all. hmmm.

Reply #161939 | Report this post

Hilltop  
Years ago

Bake what about people who cant get to games or who arent big enough fans to pay for tickets but still follow the team by reading the website or Boti's stories?

Reply #161941 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"I gained nothing"

Well, I think this post pretty much achieved exactly the same.

Reply #161954 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bake, take away those supporters who you don't rate as strongly and I reckon you'd have a club going out of business. Clubs need all sorts on board - those who go to every game and every function, those that buy season tickets (but are critics), those that buy the occasional walk-up, those that can rarely/never attend but buy The Advertiser to read Boti's articles. In some cases, their financial contribution is not dissimilar.

Some of the Chappell stuff is a bit over the top or just gets boring over time (yes, we know he didn't have a good game, etc), but all of it's feedback and not much of it suggests that he's anything other than a quality person - just that the harsh reality is that they need more from his position.

Reply #161956 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

They have their place, no worries. I have no axe to grind with people, who through financial dificulty or the tyranny of distance cannot make it to games. That said however they cannot really offer critical comment on the team or Phil's performance if their only source of information is the observations of third parties. Especially given the paucity of TV coverage. I bristle when people under a non de plume question Phil's lack of intensity and knowledge about the game. Percentagewise he is the best coach in the league. What other coach has his record of ratio of premierships to games coached in the league?

I am a one eyed 36er fan and have only missed 5 home games since 1985. I have been estatic when the have won and been equally devestated when they have lost. I never criticised Dave Claxton when he turned a silk purse into a sow's ear or Mike Dunlap when he had a full training on a Friday before a game (saying the team had to learn to play tired). The team will have my continued support and I suppose I will keep providing comment on what I consider to be unfair and illinformed comment on this and other sites

Reply #161960 | Report this post

I can't usually attend games due to work, and hence obviously don't have a season ticket, but I am very much a fan and supporter.

To imply that my opinion is invalid or carries less weight because of this is short sighted and stupid. Think of all the 'members' who go to the football and cricket for a social excursion and don't give a stuff about the game. By your reasoning (i.e. that they are season ticket holders) they would apparently have more valid opinions and more reason to be heard than the loyal fans standing on the boundary screaming their lungs out- many of whom can't afford to make it to every game, yet support the team with a genuine passion.

And yes, Chappell by all accounts seems like a fantastic bloke. But just like in any other field of employment, it's most important to get the job done. Employees who don't perform to expectations sooner or later have to face the repercussions, and professional athletes shouldn't be immune to this standard.

Yes, pro athletes have it hard sometimes- there's the expectations, the media scrutiny etc etc... But that's why they're PROFESSIONAL athletes. They should be able to take it. People in other fields cop their own share of public criticism too- just look at all the crap directed at judges and magistrates over the last few weeks. All jobs have their disadvantages, but sports stars get a pretty good deal most of the time (the money, the perks, the semi-celebrity status) so should expect to be open to public criticism from their fan base when they aren't performing.

To answer your question of who the hell fans like me think we are, many of us are long-time, dedicated supporters of the sixers, whose circumstances don't allow us to commit (both time-wise and financially) to a season ticket. Our opinions are just as valid as anyone else's; hence why we so frequently voice them on this website.

Reply #161963 | Report this post

Ps that was directed at the original post and not you, Bake :-)

Reply #161964 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bake, I beg to differ. Why can't someone agree with Boti that Chappell needs to go, without in fact ever seeing the man play? The boxscores speak volumes of the lack of required production at the 3 spot.

To say a seaon ticket holder has a more important/valid/justified opinion than any other fan is wrong. I can comment that Muursepp sucked balls this season, and that Rick Rickert was a great pick up for the Breakers. And I don't even live in New Zealend.

Reply #161965 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bake, they can certainly offer critical comment, but whether you agree with it, like it, or give it credibility is another issue I guess?

Reply #161967 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Agreed, doc. I have only seen 1 NZ game this year but I can tell you right now that Rickert is a hell of a player and that Jawai is an excitement machine although I have only seen play once.

Reply #161968 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But you'd probably want to see more before judging a coach or team. You could see a couple of dodgy Tigers games and write them off as being miles out of contention!

Reply #161971 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Doc, I only saw Muursepp once and he cut us to ribbons. His output has been poor for almost as long as Mike Chappell's was. but I have not seen Alan Westover's judgement and dedcication questionned like Phil's has. I know that my views carry no more weight than the next person, but box scores do not tell the whole story, otherwise Cooper and to a lesser extent Mottram would also be under the pump. They do a lot of things that don't show up in the box scores.

Isaac, nobody can make "critical" comment if , the sole source of the information is from the paper and this website comment, yes. I remember last year when Boti was considered a pariah on this site because he continued to defend Phil. Suddenly he's the font of all knowledge because he attacks Chappell.

Reply #161977 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I see the occasional game when they head west, I see them on fox (not enough), the rest of my info comes from the media, nbl.com and this wonderful site.

I respect a number of the posters in here, their reviews of games, structures, plays and players etc make sense and show they know what they are talking about.

Of course their opinions can be coloured by passion and disapointment/excitement but logical rational thought out posts, coupled with my knowledge and the few games i see means that i believe i am able to state opinions that are valid and relevant.

For example I saw Chappell about 10 games ago, and said, that he did not appear fit or in form..i suggested a further few weeks to get fit..if nothing, then sack him..wasnt personal, was just an opinion and IMO an accurate and correct one.

I have been a solid supporter of Phil, and it hurts to begin to "lose the faith" but..from what i see and what i read...then perhaps time is up.

I was a season ticket holder and went to every game until that was impossible...but your telling me that my opinion is not valid because im not there now?

wrong!

Reply #161979 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think the original post may have been stating that there are alot of posts on here by people who dont goto games, read other peoples opinions and then post to agree or do the old "Sack Phil". What I read from his post was that he, like me was sick of posts by people who dont go to games, but whine about what Phil or a player didnt do, when you can never know without either watching it on TV (goodluck) or by actually going to the game.
Reading a post on here will NEVER give you an impression of how someone has played, it is also impossible to gauge how someone has played by reading statistics. They simply dont contain enough information, a player can stop 40 points being scored, and only score 5 points himself..to be critized by the fact he didnt score enough.

Ive followed the team while living overseas and would not state my opinion since any thing written here or in a newspaper is only 1 persons veiw, and I dont know how smart or stupid they are. Only when I have watched the game in some form do I fell as though I have the knowledge to then imput my thoughts into the forum. Ofcourse if everyone had this attitude we wouldnt have stupid "petition" posts.

The simple fact the majority of people here are knowledgable about basketball, but dont seem to understand what a Coach is, its not just a problem in this forum its rampant in Football aswell. Your not going to know until you have coached a team, and none of us will know what is is like to coach in the NBL.
The Coach is NOT responsible for players missing shots, they are paid enough to do that themselves.

Ive gone off topic again but owell..

Reply #161983 | Report this post

Hello John Spencer
I can not afford a season ticket. I have been a fan for years. But since I am not in the economic group that can take the family every week I will sit in the corner and shut up. Because when you have money, you have a voice and us poor people do not count.

Reply #161993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very well said.

Reply #161995 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Although the original post did not clarify the situation regarding whether you are a season ticket holder or not, in support of DDFan, I would suggest he was criticising the people who can attend games but can't be bothered going for whatever reason and yet still expect to be heard. When I hear comments like I chose to go to the Soccer because its better value for money, or I am choosing to go with my mates to the pub instead, then you are a person who can attend games but choose not to. It is then difficult to take any of their comments regarding basketball seriously. I sympathise with those who have genuine reasons for not attending games and I am sure that the criticisms are not aimed at them.

Reply #162004 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Also some people go to games and say Cooper didn't play well or Ng is an ABL player or Davo didn't do much tonight. Whilst some people go to games and say cooper did ok, Ng was pretty good and davo guarded well. So which one is more qualified by attending.

Reply #162005 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

EC

What about the people that are fed up with how this team have been performing over the last few years and just chose not to go. They can still have an opinion.

Reply #162007 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Sorry skud..but on this occasion i cannot give your opinion any credence, as you are not the owner of the site and to my knowledge you do not run a forum, so to use your logic...

you cannot ooffer accurate insight into posting on a forum

just my thoughts :)

Reply #162015 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When I hear comments like I chose to go to the Soccer because its better value for money, or I am choosing to go with my mates to the pub instead, then you are a person who can attend games but choose not to. It is then difficult to take any of their comments regarding basketball seriously.
Well, it depends what factors you're considering. You might be able to question their commitment to basketball, but write off their comments regarding the sport at your peril because the support of all fans whether committed or casual is partly what keeps clubs financially afloat.

If you get an overwhelming view that the entertainment sucks, you look at making a change. If you continually hear stories of one time fans who used to be season ticket holders but have stopped coming, you try to find out why.

Reply #162029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks EC , you got it right.
My criticism was aimed at those that choose not to attend, & especially those who choose Poxtel over supporting the game. I've every sympathy for those that can't make it, & really feel for those that can't afford it.
Basketball makes up a major portion of my social life, & it's a fantastic outlet for my energies & enthusiasm. I love it. I've said many a time at the Dome that I've got the best value season ticket going. I get to see the games, the practice sessions, & observe the behind the scenes stuff. It's been amazing.
Also, I thought it'd be pretty obvious to you guys by now, that my favourite team losing games, isn't the biggest thing I've had to deal with in my life. I'd be pretty disappointed in myself, if I ever thought that was the case. I'm truly envious of you guys, if it's your biggest issue in life. That's not a cheap shot.

Reply #162031 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll pay that. Got it pretty good if the team's performance is one of your main concerns.

Reply #162035 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Cheer up DDFan, don't get the blues, we don't need to have a John Spencer Blues Explosion.

"When I hear comments like I chose to go to the Soccer because its better value for money, or I am choosing to go with my mates to the pub instead, then you are a person who can attend games but choose not to. It is then difficult to take any of their comments regarding basketball seriously."

When someone makes a comment like that it is difficult to take any of their comments seriously. Surely you're not suggesting that because someone choses to do something else on the night of a Sixers game they can no longer be knowledgable about the sport? I'd suggest that there's plenty of ABA players who don't regularly attend Sixers games that have a great knowledge of the game and have comments that are intersting and valid, and by the same token there are plenty of fans who go to every home game but struggle to provide any real insight into things in their posts.

"Reading a post on here will NEVER give you an impression of how someone has played, it is also impossible to gauge how someone has played by reading statistics."

Are you for real? I agree that unless you're there you obviously can't see evertying that's gone on, but if a number of people who's opinions I've come to respect post the same information on a player's performance after being at the game, I think I can get a very good impression of how someone's played despite the fact I'm on the other side of the world. Same applies with boxscores, you obviously don't get the whole picture but they give you a very good idea about who's played well and who hasn't.

Reply #162036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quote Isaac: "You could see a couple of dodgy Tigers games and write them off as being miles out of contention!"
Exactly.
Having said that, if I were a Tigs fan, I wouldn't have been impressed with the 4, or 5 straight game they dropped while DT was out. Apparently, in the first loss (to the Kings), Westie lost it in one of the time-outs, berated the players & offered nothing constructive. How will Westie rate in "The Coach players want to play for", next year? ; )

Reply #162039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quote billo: "Cheer up DDFan, don't get the blues, we don't need to have a John Spencer Blues Explosion."
That one's been done before. ; )

Reply #162040 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Damn it, I thought I was being hilariously original.

Reply #162048 | Report this post

new name please  
Years ago

"Damn it, I thought I was being hilariously original."

Whilst you were, in fact, being neither.

Reply #162061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheer up billo, the one that beat you to it was on a different site, so yours counts. ; )
Don't let "new name please" put you down, I'm on your side.

Reply #162069 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Thanks anon, that means the world to me!

Reply #162072 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"How will Westie rate in "The Coach players want to "play for", next year? ; ) #160329
"

Who cares where he rates. He will make the playoffs, and prob the semi finals. Players seem to like teams that do that, hence why there is no mass exodus from Oz shores to fill the Slingers' roster.

Phil consistently rates highly with players,and we go nowhere.(sigh).

Reply #162076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Same applies with boxscores, you obviously don't get the whole picture but they give you a very good idea about who's played well and who hasn't."

Box scores only show half the game because they don't show great performances in defense (apart from blocked shots and defensive rebounds).

Reply #162084 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know you're probably speaking generally, but Chappell wasn't released based on box scores. Most of the criticism on here hasn't been based on box scores. Stats are simply one of the easier ways of making the point that a scorer hasn't been scoring much, or scoring at good percentages. Much of the criticism of Chappell's performances other than that were based on his lateral movement (picking up fouls, etc) which, from what I saw, looked to be reasonably accurate.

Reply #162090 | Report this post

Stadium Monkey  
Years ago

Have to agree with a point.

There has been a creed in the customer service circles for so long of "the customer is always right".

Customer service industry experts are now saying this was perhaps not the right way of thinking, because lets face it, what does the average Joe know about running a medium - large business, and trying to make money from it?

It comes down to the business operating to satisfy the majority of people, not a vocal minority. So with that, I say...well nothing really

The banana vodka has chilled my brain.

Reply #164602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754