TR
Years ago

'never played a game sober' - Keon Clark

This doesn't surprise me at all, the bloke was a little crazy.......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3156390

Classic quotes include:

"I never played a game sober, unfortunately," said Clark

It just never stopped," he said.

"started drinking in high school and, after he was drafted in the NBA by the Orlando Magic in 1998, he drank at games during halftime."

"was drinking a half pint to a pint of gin daily when he was playing pro basketball"

Topic #13904 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Playing for Orlando will drive you to drink......

Reply #162595 | Report this post

Years ago

Coincidentaly, I was just about to post about this.

I always thought he put up decent numbers, and was a bit puzzled when he just disappeared from the league. I later found out he had some other personal issues, but I didn't know a battle with the bottle was his main one.

It's unfortunate to hear about someone in this situation anytime, but even moreso when it really has prevented them from living up to their potential as a person and also as an athlete.

Reply #162597 | Report this post

Years ago

Coincidentaly, I was just about to post about this.

I always thought he put up decent numbers, and was a bit puzzled when he just disappeared from the league. I later found out he had some other personal issues, but I didn't know a battle with the bottle was his main one.

It's unfortunate to hear about someone in this situation anytime, but even moreso when it really has prevented them from living up to their potential as a person and also as an athlete.

Hopefully he gets help to curb and/or overcome his addiction, and gets his life back in order.

Reply #162598 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The question I have is how and why did the coaches let him drink during half time of a game??? Surely someone in the locker room would of smelt the stuff whilst playing.

Reply #162602 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Shot blocking machine!! always a worthy bench man in nba live in the old days.

Reply #162609 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

It's almost incoprehensable to me. So much of basketball relies on coordination and someone can be a very solid player while drinking every game of his career? This guy swatted 14 shots in one game. To think teams (Sacremento most namely) forked out millions of dollars for a guy who was drunk the whole time...

Reply #162633 | Report this post

Years ago

I agree with you M Dizzle. It's both amazing and incomprehensible that it's even possible to be a competent basketball player anywhere (let alone in the NBA) while drunk.

I can only imagine what Clark would have been capable of if he was totally sober during his playing career. If I recall correctly, he was a decent scorer (mainly on dunks), rebounder and shot blocker, but his main asset was his athleticism. For a 6'11" guy, he had an amazing vertical leap. He was one of the most athletic big guys in terms of jumping and speed in the league during his career.

Reply #162635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a Mix of the guy, we now know supposedly he's drunk in every play you see here (Includes one of the biggest tip dunks you'll see)

Reply #162770 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754