Glenn S
Years ago

defending my girls

There was a discussion list earlier titled "youngest ABL starting five" and my team (centrals women) was mentioned as one of the younger sides, as we all work in this fishbowl industry it was brought to my attention by a club member that the follow-up message to my team being mentioned was something about their average losing margin

...well I did the math and the average losing margin was only 36.3 points. You people are quick to point out our downfalls but where is the mention that centrals girls are playing better basketball than they have in years, where is the praise for these young girls playing competitive basketball for the first time in most peoples memory, yes we are young, yes we haven't won a game in four years, the players don't need you to remind them of that, they think about it every day but they still come to their 3 trainings a week and work their butts off so in a few years they will be saying remember when nobody thought we could compete in this game.

To our supporters...we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, just give us some time. To the rest of the comp we may not be running beside you right now but you aren't out of our sights anymore, to my players don't let the occasional set back discourage your progression.

Glenn Shaw
Head Coach
Central District Lions
Women's Basketball Team
And proud of it!!

Topic #1394 | Report this topic

slit your guts  
Years ago

*ONLY* 36 points?? terrible

Reply #16130 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

i echo that 'slit your guts'

Reply #16131 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Glenn

No disrespect to you personally mate but when it comes to Centrals, we've all heard it before.

Some things never change.

Reply #16132 | Report this post

slit your guts  
Years ago

the men are looking alright this season though

Reply #16133 | Report this post

headujp  
Years ago

well 'slit ure guts' obviously things do change then...stop contradiciting yourself. you said things dont change but you just said the men are looking ok, when has that happened before, i commend glen for taking on such a big challenge, people are quick to bag but not quick to praise. instead of everyone jumping on a top three or four club how bout we praise someone who is trying to lift a program that has for so long been in trouble. good luck with it all glen. takes real balls to stand up to that sort of challenge.

Reply #16148 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

I agree, I have refereed them a coupe of times in the summer season, and the change in attitude on the court is dramatic.

Yes they are young, they are going to make mistakes, they have a 15 year old point guard for god's sake! But they are already playing better than they did last year's ABL season.

Reply #16152 | Report this post

the only problem at centrals is lack of numbers in juniors and depth of coaching quality.

once they can up the juniors their seniors will improve

easier said than done

I also think they are too ambitious fielding just div 1 teams in some grades - yes - it is their pergogative to do this - but reality says sometimes they should be div 2/3

Reply #16190 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Good to see a Centrals coach sticking it back to all the people who are willing to bag them. Things are changing at Centrals and it will be good for basketball if they can get it right by fielding some competitive teams in Div 1.
Good luck to both Centrals ABL teams in 2005.

Reply #16191 | Report this post

rodman  
Years ago

On ya Glenn you tell them Good Luck in the ABL season and tell the gals to stick to their guns they will get there

Reply #16192 | Report this post

Lippy  
Years ago

If you have a basketball team, isn't it better to be competing at the highest level possible?
This way you are playing against the best opposition and your potential for improvement is much greater.

Reply #16363 | Report this post

diko  
Years ago

go glen ur the best womens coach we hav ahd for ages and its good to c your sticking up to the critism

Reply #31117 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

Good job Glenn for posting and sticking up for your girls, as well as posting your name.

Good luck in future seasons

Reply #31231 | Report this post

"B"  
Years ago

Hey, good work Glenn, the Blue Army has yours and the women's backs. They'll get there soon and it will surprise all the other clubs when they see Centrals dominating the competition. You may think it's a dream but at the rate Centrals are going...we can only get better.

Reply #31381 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754