Isaac
Years ago

Sweeney Sports Report - Popular Australian Sports

The Sweeney Sports Report, the nation's most authoritative sports and sponsorship survey, is out.

1. Cricket captures 'most interest' cap
2. Swimming slips to second place
3. Tennis rebounds
4. AFL continues to fend soccer

Basketball ranks 18th with 26% of adults holding any interest in it. Above it, cricket, swimming, Australian Rules, tennis, soccer, league, union, motor racing, cycling, gym workout, running, golf, bushwalking, fishing, athletics, surfing and snooker/pool/billiards. Don't worry, we beat netball by 3%...

Participation is at 8%, attendance at 9% and television viewing 20% (compared to 45-55% for cricket, Aussie Rules, tennis, soccer). 1% follow it via radio, 5% via print and 4% via the Internet (cricket and Aussie Rules were at 9% for net interest).

Here's the PDF for those interested

Personally, I don't understand the interest in swimming as a spectator sport, but it ranks well. Cricket gets a lot out of a powerhouse national team and a bit of the "it's our national sport" theme. I think Aussie Rules is a legitimate achiever - no international competition, well marketed and followed.

IMO, basketball needs to try getting away from just the Yank angle (which likely deters some) and play it up as the international game it is - European leagues, South American leagues, etc. Or college kids over in the US? How many sporting leagues can claim that to the same extent?

Topic #13954 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

I disagree RE: Swimming, something about those female swimmers in those caps just does it for me.

NOT!

Reply #163222 | Report this post

Ron Burgandy  
Years ago

And what is Basketball Australia going to do about this. How is basketball behind gym and billiards.

Reply #163228 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pool tables in pubs would impact that substantially. Really need to consider attendance as a paying spectator, and viewing if all sports were available equally on television to gain a better understanding.

Reply #163230 | Report this post

NotSoBad  
Years ago

Agree that the sport needs to be doing but its not all bad. Remove the sports that everyone does in their leisure time and generally dont compete at like gym workouts, cycling, running etc., remove the mainstream sports of Aussie Rules, Rugby and Cricket.

Basketball participation, crowd attendence etc. could be compared and should be competing with Netball, Soccer, tennis.

Swimming for example has a massive participation rate. This is a survey and I think when most people ask if they have been down to the local pool for an early morning swim or used the pool gym for a bit of fitness in the past yr most would say yes. Could hardly be compared to the NBL/weekly organised games of basketball.

Reply #163235 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Bushwalking = sport????????

Just wait till i start the NSL (National Shopping league)..will zoom into the top 10

then the NTL (National Toilet League) incredible participation rates.

I will finally take the number one spot on the Sweeney "sports" report by introducing the NBL (National Breathing League) 100% participation, 100% of people have watched someone breathe, not sure how it will rank on the print and internet though ...Isaac, any chance of creating an ozWhoops site :)

Seriously though, does playing pool at the pub..going for a walk in the park, whacking the budgie smugglers on and splashing around or dropping a handline off the causeway at Victor over Xmas really mean you are involved or participating in these "sports"

we need a better tool to measure these things me thinks.

:)

Reply #163237 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

20% Television viewing? That seems stupidly high. 4% via the internet? That seems low.

Reply #163244 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

BUSHWALKING? hang on a sec did i read that right??

Reply #163246 | Report this post

defensive stance  
Years ago

170 interviews a month - is that really statiscally meaningful? Even if extrapolated over 21 reports.

Reply #163296 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Hang on, I'll check the TV Guide & see when Bushwalking gets air time. I wouldn't wanna miss that. : )
That survey is absolutely meaningless (no matter what cred it thinks it has), & reckon me's post #163237 got it right.
I was an avid cyclist, but I've only been to ONE cycling event in 18 years, & was bored shitless.
The NBL needs to start thinking of ways to work it's way into the media. Even locally, the AFL off-season gets more coverage than we do. Imagine the media frenzy if the AFL had import sackings, refs that suck, & a salary cap?

Rant over, tinny cold now.
Cheers

Reply #163299 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

DDFan, AFL does have refs that suck and a salary cap. As for imports that get fired, they had Ben Cousins who was enough of a saga for two sports.

Reply #163301 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

National Toliet League

I "launched" my attempt at an Early MVP just last night.

Yes, that's right.....Most Voluminous Poo

Reply #163305 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

They have a comparison of apples and eggs

Swimming interest is all at the elite Inter National level.

As is possibly the case with many of the others.

Some sports all the interest is at National or local Level.

depends upon how the questions are asked and who is asked.

Interest in state criket is abismal etc etc

Reply #163313 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hands up who is judging the MVP..or should that be hands down?

The all star game could be a real blowout

Reply #163317 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by DICKO: "I "launched" my attempt at an Early MVP just last night.

Yes, that's right.....Most Voluminous Poo"

Shaney dropped a floater?

Reply #163322 | Report this post

shirley schmidt  
Years ago

I might be showing my age here, but does anyone remember when `The Circuit' was in East Tce ? (where PJ O'Briens is now) It was about mid 90's and they had a backboard hanging off the back wall that you could shoot around with... It got lots of use too !!

At least you had an excuse when the (one handed - holding Beer in the other hand of course !!) shots weren't dropping !!

Everyone's probably too scared of getting sued to do anything like that these days.

Reply #163394 | Report this post

BB is dead  
Years ago

And watch basketball drift further away once Soccer goes after the world cup.

Reply #163459 | Report this post

Sebastiaan Sterel  
Years ago

For some reason, the link provided doesn't work (anymore). Can someone provide a new one? I kind of need it for a University assignment!
Cheers
Seb

Reply #379360 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754