lockstock
Years ago

Basketball Popularity at all-time Low

A recent survey by the Sweeney Sports Report, Australia's best-known sports survey, has found that basketball is not even listed in the top 9 favourite sports of Australians, featuring behind such powerhouse sports as athletics and golf. Here are the top 9:

Tennis
Swimming
Australian Rules
Soccer
Rugby League
Rugby Union
Motor car racing
Golf
Athletics

It is little wonder that free to air TV stations are refusing to broadcast our great game.

So this begs the question, what needs to be done to increase the sports popularity in Australia? Bogut ain't going to do it..

Topic #13970 | Report this topic

Roseboy  
Years ago

Swimming? Are you kidding me?

Reply #163448 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #163451 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Oh dammit. Ma bad

Reply #163452 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

"It is little wonder that free to air TV stations are refusing to broadcast our great game."

Channel 9 are....

Reply #163471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They may have meant "broadcasting live".

Though, edited highlights on a weekend morning aren't terrible. Have had a few people, who don't go to games or follow the NBL closely, mention that they stumbled across it and watched it.

Reply #163474 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

'Poll' on AdelaideNow responding to the survey as to 'Adelaide's favourite sport'.

Basketball is currently 5th, but Soccer is killing it with 25%. Clearly one of the soccer forum's grabbed hold of this first.

Reply #163483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont see any soccer on free to air... but look how popular that is!

Sure it would help us, but comeon... get over it NBL and get off your asses and advertise and bring in some new initiatives!

Reply #163484 | Report this post

Gordan Lilly  
Years ago

Ever heard of SBS?... I've never received a bill from them...

Hey, while on that I heard the other day that the encryption for Austar has been hacked and gold cards are doing the rounds again.

Anyone else heard that? or seen any goldies?

Reply #163530 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

What do you really expect? Salary cap reduced...less exciting games than ever (see 36ers vs tigers on wed. night). Not to mention the increasing price to attend games or even watch them (foxtel). Also not to mention the price that kids/adults have to pay to play the game...i mean what kinda sport charges for someone to attend an under 20s game to watch. I love basketball dont get me wrong, but in australia, and particularly SA, they have made way too many mistakes to be considered in the top few sports.

Reply #163559 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

What do you really expect? Salary cap reduced...less exciting games than ever (see 36ers vs tigers on wed. night). Not to mention the increasing price to attend games or even watch them (foxtel). Also not to mention the price that kids/adults have to pay to play the game...i mean what kinda sport charges for someone to attend an under 20s game to watch. I love basketball dont get me wrong, but in australia, and particularly SA, they have made way too many mistakes to be considered in the top few sports.

Reply #163560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Until the stake holding clubs can agree on a course of action that will make basketball an accessible and competitive sport to play most kids will drift to sports where the incentives to play are greater.
Any number of sports make juniors their priority and make the cost as easy to bear, as possible, for the parents.
The standard of coaching, the cost of entry for players and spectators, the ridiculous cost in fees especialy in silly season,the vast distance between venues and times they play, the bullshit about costs when there is no move to rationalise games played in less arenas and more central ones plus the dominance of a few clubs whih lessens competition. District Clubs with 50 or so teams unable to provide coaches for them all adds to the mess that SA basketball finds itself in.
Football in this state and in all other states in every code zones to prevent the biger , money stron clubs from taking any juniors they fancy. Basketball doesnt because it lacks the appendages to make decisions that long term will enhance competition.
More unpopular would be the sensible move to reduce clubs and rather than say it cant be done, find incentives to make it happen. With thousands more kids playing football than basketball there are less district football teams to choose from than basketball district teams. The SANFL reduced teams to strengthen it at grass roots.
Its ridiculus to have district basketball going to div 5 and immediate action is needed to create a sub district comp where a pro/rel could exist for pathways to div 1.
SASI should field teams in the 16/18 age groups in the district comp if playing against the best makes you better and all the gripes certain clubs have about only having one div 1 with their depth would be tested. The SASI teams could be player rotated and the number from individual clubs capped at 2 or 3.
Summer season should be scraped and the winter season extended.
A hot weather policy written by some on who speaks english and more importantly, understands it, should be in operation yesterday. Over 38 at 6pm, all games cancelled which may prompt BSA to install air cons in all stadiums. Where the hell is the money going now that we don't prop p the 6ers?
The clubs all cry poor yet their revenue has gone up.
Im for pro/rel, Im for zones and I believe teams that face no weekly competition should be able to compete in the next age group up but until we fall competely off the list of popularity of sports nothing will happen.

Reply #163755 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Here's an idea - scrap the spectator fee, then more spectator's would come as they dont have to pay - should create more revenue for the canteens, bars etc. which goes back to the clubs. Often only one parent will go to games because of the spectator fee - if it were scrapped 2 parents may come, friends, grandparents etc, aunties, uncles, I find it to be quite difficult to suggest to family to come and watch and then have to tell them they are required to pay $5.00 or so dollars each at the door.

I also bought a transfer ticket - and guess what have not been able to use the damn thing as both my kids are playing at the same time at different venues most weeks - at the opposite ends of the earth - so another donation to BSA was made.

Reply #163826 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:22 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754