Anonymous
Years ago

What's Wrong In Minnesota?

I don't really know much about the current predicament in Minnesota. What exactly is going on. It's not like they've got no know talent what with Jefferson, Gomes, Greene, Walker and Foye. Really bad chemistry or something? Surely can't be to do with adding 5 or 6 new players in the off-season, they've had enough time to gel (even by Phil Smyth standards). Their win-loss record is even worse than Singapore's.

Topic #13974 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

Out of the names you mentioned, I'd go as far as saying that Jeff is the ONLY player who has any game. Not really sure what you expected out of them, but not too many expected them to finish out of the bottom 5 teams in the league.

Reply #163538 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

What's wrong in Minnesota.... Two Words

Kevin McHale

Reply #163539 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

NO KG.

Reply #163540 | Report this post

DC  
Years ago

agree
kevin mchale.. he is a clown

Reply #163550 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Excuse me, can u name any players in the top 50 in the league on that roster? They are going through a rebuilding phase and just because they have talent does not mean they are going to get wins. Sure in years to come they will be a good team. Al Jefferson can consider himself a force to be reckoned with...on that team he gets double teamed but he still gets 20 and 10. He will be a star, once there are some guys around him that can play.

Reply #163556 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Kevin Mchale has done as much good for Boston as Isiah has done bad for New York . The only problem with this is he is the GM of the Timberwolves .

Minnesota do have some nice pieces to build around in JEFFERSON + FOYE and role players in BREWER , McCANTS , GOMES and SMITH but they still need alot of help .

If they land DERRICK ROSE they could move FOYE to the two and have McCANTS off the bench as instant offense.
TELFAIR is coming along and would make a decent 2nd string PG .
BREWER at the 3 and JEFFERSON at the 4 with GOMES and SMITH providing versatility in support .
This leaves a gaping hole at C and one which they would need to address in the next 2 years .
So realistically they are 2-3 players and 2-3 years away from getting near playoffs .
They are very young though and should look at the Rejuvenation of the TRAILBLAZERS as blueprint for continued rebuild .

Also , I can't help but think Isiah is getting some sick satisfaction in burying a franchise he once despised in NEW YORK , that guy is falsest of men i have seen outside of politics .

Reply #163597 | Report this post

victorian  
Years ago

they just came from 20 points behind to beat the pacers 131-118 they were down by 20 at quarter time

Reply #163612 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Chemistry!!! - that's what is missing - virtually the whole team is new in Minny... They have everything in place they just need a good piece from the upcoming draft (hopefully No. 1 pick)... and time for the guys to lean to play together... A real bball team doesn't work like Fantasy Basketball... The Celts seem to buck this but they are a special case due to the fact that the three guys they have got in are all bona fide stars...

Reply #163730 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Two guy they have got in - sorry... PP was already there.

Reply #163731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gerald Green should be getting more minutes. They bring all these kids in yet dont play them.

Gerald Green could be the next TMac...

Reply #163774 | Report this post

Years ago

IMO Minnesota should forget about drafting Derrick Rose, and instead get Roy Hibbert. Sure, he might not have as much potential, but he's a 4-year Senior at a good program, he's 7'2", 280lbs and can rebound, score and block shots, and he'll contribute right away in areas that Minnesota need it most. To me, he sounds exactly like what Minnesota have needed for years - a big, strong, capable Centre to take the pressure off of their higher profile Power Forward. They don't need another guard who's gonna take minutes away from who they already have (and is gonna take a few more years to develop themself). They need a big, strong body to help out Al Jefferson inside with both rebounding, defense and scoring, and Hibbert is definitely the man for the job. If McHale turns to coaching these guys in post moves, in 2-3 years time, they'd be an unstoppable frontline IMO.

Reply #165667 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hibbert is too much of a reach if 'Sota has a top three pick.

If they want a centre in the top three then they need to look at DeAndre Jordan from Texas A&M. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade their high 1st (by high first I'm talking top 5 unless they are looking at Jordan) and moving down in the draft to around the 10th pick where three centres are project to be (Hibbert, Thabeet and Lopez).

Hell, given McHale's history, Ainge could probably ring McHale right now and ask him if he'd be willing to trade picks and Boston will chuck in $3 million.

I don't think they need a bruiser in the post as Al is their thug. A nice finesse centre that can rebound, get some garbage baskets and block shots is that they require ala Jordan.

Reply #165680 | Report this post

Years ago

Yea DeAndre Jordan would be a nice pick too. His style would probably compliment Jefferson well. I just mentioned Hibbert as he wouldn't (shouldn't, I'd assume) require as much time to develop to his best (although he probably has less potential) as Jordan. As well as that, Minnesota have never had a genuine 7'2" centre with scoring and defensive ability.

Obviously a guy like Michael Beasley would help them as well. He's pretty much #1 in the 2009 draft class. They've already got multiple guys in his positions (SF/PF) though, so it'd require some re-shuffling of the lineup to give him minutes.

For all we know, McHale will probably go out and pick a Shooting Guard or something else they really don't need.

Reply #165842 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

As you've mentioned I also think Hibbert would contribute from day one as he's a 4 year college player, but Jordan screams big potential to me. Hibbert should of come out last year and ridden on the success of GT's run and hooked up with Green.

It would be a tough call if the Pups get the 3rd pick and have to chose between Mayo/Jordan or Rose/Jordan or Beasley/Jordan.

McHale will screw the pooch and select a small forward and then trade Foye and McCants to the Celtics for Scalabrine and Pollard and will also chuck in $3 mill to make it work.

McHale still works for the Celtics but is taking Timberwolf money...

Reply #165850 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Anyone who passes on Derrick Rose will regret it as much the teams that overlooked Chris Paul .

The Wolves are 2-3 years from being around the mark so why not get the PG position set from next year . They can grab a project C in the 2nd round and if they still stink by end of 09 then they can go hard on big fellas .

ROSE , FOYE , BREWER , SMITH and JEFFERSON can start with McCANTS , GOMES , TELFAIR and pieces rounding rotation .

Maybe they could trade pieces , expiring contracts for a solid C or another draft pick which would maybe advance their progress .

Reply #165860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wolves already have enough Point Guards - telfair, Jaric, Randy Foye (he's more of a combo guard, but yea). They don't need another one.

Reply #167039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:24 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754