Kent Brockman
Years ago

sixers and the nbl ladder

I was just checking out the NBL ladder and cant follow how it works so if some one could explain that would be great.

Currently sixers have lost less games than the Crocs who are above them on the ladder.

So it makes me think that the ladder is based on fewer losses. As the cats are above the crocs with fewer losses but also fewer wins due to games played.

So if the sixers win their next game they would be 10- 10 and the crocs would be 11-11.

So would the sixers move up?

Topic #14068 | Report this topic

balls  
Years ago

isnt it calculated on % won, not games played?

Reply #164665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah it winning %. at the end of the season the no. of games each team has played will even out.

Reply #164667 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by balls:
"isnt it calculated on % won, not games played?"

Spot on, the order reflects the disparity in games played across the league. At the moment the extremes go from the Slingers who've played 23 games, to the Cats who've only played 17. The schedules an absolute sham.
It gets even messier with season splits, but that's another topic again. ; )

Reply #164669 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

edit:
Should read, "Spot on, the % won covers the disparity ....

Reply #164677 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Yeh just pure win %. Sixers have games in hand on the crocs and therefore you would say we were in better shape than them for making the 8.

Reply #164679 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ddFan,

You've commented on the schedule before here - do you undertstand the conditions under which it is put together? do you think its a simple thing?

Reply #164685 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The Sixers have their season in thier own hands. Only need to beat the Wildcats twice in the next three games to be well placed in the 8.

Not much between 4th and 9th in terms of win loss record so far. It could go anywhere (but the Sixers have one of the harder schedules for the second half of the season).

Reply #164687 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the 36ers could get past the Crocs, but the Crocs do have something like 5H-3A from here with a good number of possible wins - won't be easy.

Reply #164691 | Report this post

Ostrich 44  
Years ago

Surely the ladder should be run on
Wins 1st
than win %

Ie
8th - Crocs have 11 wins and 11 losses
6th - Wildcats have 9 wins and 8 losses

Sure the Crocs have played 5 more games than the Wildcats but the Crocs HAVE 11 wins that is 2 more wins than the Wildcats are yet to get, so until the Wildcats do get those 2 wins (or more) they should be below the Crocs.

What if the Crocs were alot better and were something like 19-3 (win% of 86.46) should they be above or below the Kings at 17-2 (win% of 89.47).
IMO they should be above, but going by the NBL's ladder they would appear below.

Reply #164699 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

To be honest guys, how they do the ladder during the season doesn't matter at all (except for who coaches the All-star game) as at the end when everyone has played the same amount of games, that's when the interesting 'crap' happens like season splits and the weird format that we have here in the NBL.

Reply #164701 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Agreed Cavolo. It will eventually sort itself out once the games played evens out.
Mind you, it's fun pondering the chances, & like a lot have said, we're a chance but we've got a hard road ahead.
Isaac, I too feel that Perth are vulnerable & their game tonight being in Singapore & home (Perth) to us on Saturday, could play into our hands. Could, fingers crossed.
HO, about the schedule, all I know is that it's put together by a mob in Canada who have cred in that department, but there are a some trips that look OK on paper, till you see the flight schedules/departure times. There's a Queensland games pairing which is an utter night-mare, with a game one night & the flight for the next night's game departs at 07:00 the next morning. I'm sure there're other examples too.

Reply #164708 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Auuuugh, bad day.
edit
Substitute XY, for Isaac in previous post.

Reply #164713 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

And my point to you DDfan is that its probably the hardest sports schedule in professional sport in australia with the least amount of care factor from the venues that host it. Its amazing, on the ozhoops site you have people today beefing about needing a promotable HOME fixture, your talking about negative impacts on the AWAY teams. (those two objectives are probably mutually exclusive) I am sure the canadians have a brief to create the best fixture possible, but it just ain't possible - when you factor in the need to save costs (hence tight double road trips), and workaround some of the busiest venue schedules in Australia. I've done some domestic and tournament fixturing - god, thats hard enough to make people happy and work within venue and time constraints.

Reply #164717 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

HO, not denying it'd be tough drawing up the schedule, but you gotta admit, it still sucks.
Your point about non-availability of stadiums brings up an interesting point. By us having our own (always available) stadium, we're in a sense making it easier for every visiting team scheduling-wise.
With another thread claiming we need a new stadium, it's a bit rich when other States don't even have a single one between the whole damned lot.

Back on topic, Perth are making a meal of the Slingers at the moment & can't see 'em dropping this one. Was hoping this could've been a game to work for us, but it's not to be. : (

Reply #164775 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

do you reckon a highly available stadium makes your playing schedule better or worse? how many weeks (ie weekends) do you think the dome would be unavailable for over a season?

Reply #164805 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by HO:
"do you reckon a highly available stadium makes your playing schedule better or worse?

Realistically, it doesn't work for, or against the 36ers, it's our (thanks to Mr Groves) home court. It does however, make for a more flexible schedule for the league & visiting teams.

Posted by HO:
"how many weeks (ie weekends) [DD edit: weekends?] do you think the dome would be unavailable for over a season?"

NONE, & that's the point, but that could change. The stadium was a purpose built 36er fixture, yet nowadays it's open to be hired out. Not a problem at this stage for the league or the 36ers, but worth pondering.

Reply #164842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DDfan a flight at 7am. What a nightmare!

Reply #164847 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Anonymous, I appreciate your experience. Could you please provide a sketchy itinerary of the time table from game end one evening, to game start the next?
I'm thinking showering/clean-up, return to hotel, overnight sleep, dressing, breakfast, grouping for departure from accomodation, travel to airport, assuming acceptable check-in period, flight length, acceptable luggage collection time-frame, time for mid-day meal, travel to new accommodation, time needed for check in, setting up over-night accomodation, time to get to & go through pre-game practice session, return to accomodation, pre-game meal time-table & time to consume, re-grouping for departure, travel time to get to the game venue, & pre-game preparation prior to tip-off?
Thanks in advance.

Reply #164852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Posted by DDfan
"Suit yourself, I'm really not fussed, but I'm here to talk basketball from now on.
Happy New Year."

and the starts a reply with
"Anonymous, I appreciate your experience."

Did not take long for the smartarse DDfan to get sucked in. You just can´t help yourself. That was too easy. Man you are dumb.

Reply #164862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DDFAN, you left out "cry because schedule is too hard". Just be thankful your beloved team isn't having to fly from Singapore, Perth or Auckland all the time.

Reply #164893 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's challenging for all teams. Wonder how much of an impact two international teams have on the schedule?

FWIW, I think the Breakers have had at least one 1AM or 4AM flight so far this season.

Reply #164894 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

NZ pretty light - Thursday night home game probably suit the league because they can travel back to Aus for another game on Sat. Singapore the opposite because of their Sunday afternoon games.

Reply #164909 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by Anonymous #164862:
"Posted by DDfan
"Suit yourself, I'm really not fussed, but I'm here to talk basketball from now on.
Happy New Year."

and the starts a reply with
"Anonymous, I appreciate your experience."

Did not take long for the smartarse DDfan to get sucked in. You just can´t help yourself. That was too easy. Man you are dumb."

My bad, if I had've known it was you Anonymous #164862, I would not've made such a fool of myself.

Happy New Year buddy.

Reply #164988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You started making a fool of yourself long before that post.

Reply #164993 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:30 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754