Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Funny RIP Clinton Grybas, aged 32

Breaking news at present. Not clear how he died. Shattering news. A young man in his prime.

Topic #14096 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Apologies for duplicate post. We must've seen the same report on Channel Nine news and rushed to the PC at the same time.

Reply #165059 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

yeah i remember him commentating nbl games on ABC

Reply #165061 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

on ABC website

"General Manager of 3AW, Graham Mott, says his co-workers became worried when Grybas did not turn up for work this morning.

After getting no answer on the phone, they called the manager of his apartment building.

That apartment building manager entered Clinton's apartment and found him unconscious on the floor, and then I'm told that he was taken to the Epworth, and was pronounced dead," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/05/2132349.htm?section=justin

Reply #165064 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

A major loss for Australian sports and sports fans.

Reply #165066 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

WOW , Terrible News . Always enjoyed his knowledgeable mind , and enthusiastic and humerous nature .
A sad day , much respect and many condolences to family and loved ones .

Reply #165068 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Tragic...anyone know how he died? Was he ill?

Reply #165070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a great contributor to basketball when he used to commentate. Vale

Reply #165075 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

Always enjoyed his work, seemed a natural sports-fan type character. Condolences to all his family and friends.

Reply #165082 | Report this post

Gravity man  
Years ago

A sad day for the media world,such a talented commentator for ABC and Foxtel Basketball Games.
Be sorely missed.RIP CLINTON

Reply #165085 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Always sad to hear someone so young passing... Have some great memories of his commentary of the NBL back in the late 90's early 00's - seemed to be a naturally talented commentator, could infuse genunine enthusiam with just enough comedy to make his teles watchable... Case in point - "Paul Rees and Brett Wheeler... Two headed monster going at it..." - i always wondered if that was mischief or a genuine faux pas - anyway my all time fave commentary...

RIP - Clinton...

Reply #165087 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

ive been watching clinton on fox sports afl for the last 6 footy seasons and i have just heard the sad news regarding his death but most off al he was on 32!too fox sports his family and friends i send my condolences!
RIP Clinton:(

Reply #165090 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

A shock and major loss to the Sports Media in Australia. A great journalist, commentator and host.

A true inspiration for me.

Reply #165099 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Just saw an update on the news that he died from sleepwalking - how tragic. Apparently had had similar incidents before i.e. bumbing his head from sleep walking and waking up on his balcony.

Reply #165128 | Report this post

Angela  
Years ago

What a terrible loss.
Too young to die at 32.He had so much ahead of him.
My condolences go out to his family and his girlfriend.
RIP -Clinton
xo

Reply #165195 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wow, I can't believe he was only 32, must have been doing the NBL in his early 20's, that's quite incredible. Tragic for such a talented guy to go so early.

Reply #165213 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

updated story on news.com

there has to be more than this about this sad event

"SPORTS commentator Clinton Grybas, who has been found dead in his Melbourne apartment, may have fallen while sleepwalking.

Mr Grybas, 32, was found dead yesterday after he failed to turn up for 3AW's Sports Today show, which runs from midday until 2pm (AEDT).

Friends and family said Mr Grybas was a known sleepwalker, News Ltd newspapers reported today".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23012730-2,00.html

Reply #165223 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sad news. Most basketball fans have favourable memories of Clinton commentating and always wished he'd come back to commentating the sport.

Reply #165227 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Sad sad news indeed. Did a great job on the AFL also.

Reply #165234 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

This really is sad news. I found his NBL commentary on the ABC excitingly infectious and he really upped the spirits of any game he called. Fond memories of him calling the Sixers finals campaigns vs the Magic.

I agree with Isaac in wishing he would one day return to commentating basketball.

He will be sorely missed.

Reply #165262 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Having met Clinton and spoken to hime on a couple of occasions back in the day, I found him to be a genuinely enthusiatic and warm person.

He loved his sport of all variations and studied meticulously whenever a new challenge came along.

I personally found him to be the best commentator I've ever listened to on the TV and, even though basketball was not his first love, showed a joy in commentating that made people feel like he was the biggest NBL fan ever.

He will be sorely missed by everyone he has worked with and those he touched along his too short travel through life.

My condolences to his family and friends. I feel this loss a little, I can't begin to imagine what it's like for them.

Rest in Peace, Clinton.

Reply #165375 | Report this post

Russ Mc  
Years ago

I played with Clinton in juniors and saw a 16 year old kid join the Committee of the Warrandyte Basketball Club. He would then branch out to write all of the clubs newsletters, report on all of the club's activities and run the Men's domestic competition on his own. Obviously this was just the start of an extraordinary and now awfully cut short career in sports and the media. Basketball, football and many other sports are in debt to him. His professionalism, passion and his ability to still be a good bloke throughout his rise to the top will live with all that knew him.

RIP Clint. We are all so sad.

Reply #165794 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754