Anonymous
Years ago

SA Smashes Vics in E/Coast Challenge

SA have smashed the Vics in the first game for the U/18 boys at the E/Coast Challenge by 40 plus points.

Where are the doubters now ?

Topic #14140 | Report this topic

Early days  
Years ago

Vic Metro were gold medalists two years ago in Ballarat, I cant believe they have dropped by that much.

The Vics dont take this tournament seriously

Reply #165741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about 16s ? Any results online?

Reply #165754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about 16s ? Any results online?

Reply #165755 | Report this post

Dont get too excited, the Vics take 2 teams and split them i believe we only send one, so tough to really tell if they have dropped off or not at this stage. None the less a good first up result.

Reply #165756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Vics do take it seriously as there will be questions asked of the players of how well they have prepared for this. Those who have not prepared or do not perform will be sorted out come Vic Metro try outs beleive me.

That is when the bleeding heart parents and coaches pipe up and complain about how unfair the system is, instead of putting the onus back on to the players as I know for a fact that they were told to work over summer.

Never the less, a great result for SA basketball, and the SASI Outfit !!!!

Reply #165763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be prudent to wait until the comp finishes before blowing hard about one victory

Reply #165776 | Report this post

Dr Evil  
Years ago

Are there box scores and results somewhere for these games. I went to the site that was posted a few weeks back but that has no results or fixture

Reply #165783 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

SA 18/boys beat the main vic state team by 15pts

Reply #165923 | Report this post

hazspuds  
Years ago

SA U18 boys have won 1st 3 games over both VIC sides and NSW 1 side. SA 100 to NSW 59.

Reply #165931 | Report this post

hazspuds  
Years ago

I sold them short. U18 boys.It was SA 100 to NSW 49.

Reply #165933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where are the doubters ???? Your team will be good in Ballarat, good coaches and players. The Vics and NSW will have their work cut out for them. As far as the " Main State Team" goes, look for a way different line up in July,

this itcp

Reply #165935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How have the 16 Boys/Girls gone today? I rang NSW Basketball re why they aren't posting results on their website. Reply was that they will be posted at the end of the week (after tourny has finished - handy!)

Reply #165936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U/18 Girls & Boys both won both of their games today, U16 teams lost one game each i believe, Girls & Boys should go thru 1st & 2nd no lower expected at this stage, all teams playing well.... well done guys & girls...

Reply #165979 | Report this post

hazspuds  
Years ago

U16 boys won against ACT and both NSW teams, lost to VIC 2, don't know scores or any girls results. Will try to find out and post.

Reply #165985 | Report this post

hazspuds  
Years ago

No scores but at least the results.
U18 boys W3 L0 will be top of round robin regardless of game against NSW 2 Fri am as BEAT VIC 2 who were undefeated until they played our lads. Will play VIC 2 in 1-2 playoff. (VIC 2 is their gun team).
U18 girls W3 L0. should be same final playoff as boys.
U16 boys W3 L1. Loss was to VIC 1, thurs arvo by not much. May also be in 1-2 playoff, probably depends on result of their game 5 am Fri.
U16 girls W2 L2 no other info.
Extra team in U16 of ACT so each has 5 prelim games, U18 has 4 games.

Have to say it

GO SA!!!!

Reply #166014 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

sa 18/boys smashed nsw metro2 by 57pts

Reply #166176 | Report this post

16s?  
Years ago

What about 16 boys???

Reply #166187 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

16 & 18 boys & 18 girls all playing in gf 16 girls playing for 3-4 place

Reply #166190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U/18 Girls won G/Final in double play off
U/18 Boys lost, not sure about u/16's

Reply #166217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 boys 4th, 16 girls 3rd, 18 boys 2nd, 18 girls 1st. 18 boys down 62-74 to the strong vic met team.

Reply #166232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the 16 Boys were playing in the GF?

Reply #166240 | Report this post

demosthenes  
Years ago

You can hardly expect the Victorian teams and NSW teams to come out and beat the SASI teams. Each SASI team contained probably 90% of players that will end up representing SA metro at nationals, whereas the NSW and Victorian teams had split their talent into two squads and then filled up the rest of the positions with players having less skill.

And even through that, the SASI under 18's mens squad and under 16's mens squad still lost to the Vic men in the 1v2 playoff matches. This surely does not bode well for SA metro come nationals where the victorian team will boast at least double the strength that it showed at the ECC!

In the womens groups, SASI won 18's in double OT to nsw, and didn't make the 1v2 final in 16's.

Were the teams sent to the ECC from SASI the actual state teams? If they were, hopefully a heck of a lot more work will be put into them come nationals or we can expect a miserable tournament for sa metro.

Reply #166506 | Report this post

Ostrich 15  
Years ago

Not the state team. State trials arn't until March (or there abouts). The teams that went over were the SASI squads.

Reply #166508 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

NSW 2 and VIC 2 had about 90% of kids that will be in thier state team playing

Reply #166523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

demo monkey: the sasi teams were a first and second year mix and re your, 'couldnt expect the nsw and vic teams to beat the sasi teams', sounds a bit lame to me.

Reply #166561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man,

I have to tell you, it must be tough in SA. Your SASI U/18 group is a very good group, coached well and WILL be very good come Nationals time. Those boys who make it will be tough to beat and will get better as will the other States.

It has been a while since the SA boys had a good result, rightly or wrongly, jump on board they are a legit chance at Nationals. No more bagging, support them and enjoy the group.

Corey Maynard, has come a long way since we saw him in Victoria, good job Corey.

Reply #166588 | Report this post

redadair  
Years ago

Interesting Email Trail. Just wanted to state clearly state what happened. V2 beat SA1 in the U18 grand final !

Yes V2 won the tournament !!!

Reply #166637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

red, I agree but 1 game apiece head-to-head. SA better early, Vics better late. Both teams at about 75% strength with significant additions to come which should see both challenge for the title in July.

Reply #166640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we all also ignoring the fact that the SASI squads that were sent all know each other and have had many trainings together, whereas the NSW and VIC teams sent didn't even know who was going before they got onto the bus?
Shows clearly why SASI were super strong at the beginning of the tournament but slowed down towards the end.

Reply #166642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injuries as well. SASI were up in the 3rd when former Victorian Corey Maynard left the final game injured. With him and Daly out injured, the Vic guards were too strong physically.

Reply #166646 | Report this post

Edinburgh 52  
Years ago

how long did the tourny go for?
How many games did everyone play?

Reply #166647 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

What I got told was they just ran out of legs not due to any one player. Got told all boys played well every game and played as a team thats what won them games. Well done to every boy that went great effort.

Reply #166664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right but with 2 players down it was 8 vs 10 and everyone had to work that much harder and it eventually told. You're also right in that they played very well as a team and it looks good for nationals.

Reply #166665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is exactly my point, I am glad the SASI kids were prepared, that is why the tournament will be better for them being there and that is why Nationals will be a good tournament this year as there are a few teams who will be better for the experience and will challenge for the title.

Reply #166666 | Report this post

shane  
Years ago

So how did the 18 girls go?

Were there any girls that stood out from SASI, VIC and NSW?

Were there any of the 18 girls that missed the AIS camp that should have been picked? If so what happens to them?

Is this event going to be an ongoing?

Reply #166725 | Report this post

CTFanclub  
Years ago

I've heard from a direct source that NSW 16's (there is two squads from Metro or something) that the one of the girls teams won, thats the team with Loz Nicholson and what not.

Reply #166962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No names guys...

Under 18's girls match VIC 2 versus NSW 2, one of the NSW girls physically punched a victorian girl IN THE HEAD, and with three referees on the court they still managed to miss it. Most disgraceful thing i've seen on the basketball court in a long while.
It was a close match and just to rub salt into the vics wound, the NSW assailant shot the winning two free throws with 7 seconds to go.
NSW got carved up by a tall brown haired girl from VIC who hit a three with 20 seconds to go to tie it all up but was only counted as a two to go along with her twenty something points.

Vics lost by 1 point.
Controversy all around

Reply #167267 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think the umpiring was very questionable for the tournament too much was let go, not up to state standard

Totally agree though I have never seen anything so disgraceful.....although we are now coming to expect that kind of bad behaviour from this player who deliberately tries to take players out, swings elbows deliberatly aiming at opponents face and is great at throwing the punches, on a consistant basis.

Is it not time that Basketball NSW takes matters in hand and sort out this situation. Makes matters worse when her parents sit there laughing and the crowd clapping her free throws like she is a hero, shame on you all, how dare you condon bad behaviour!!

Reply #167369 | Report this post

dontfeedpossums  
Years ago

ref standards way above that of PC slam and our friday night refs at home.

"Too much was let go"

Thats how other states play, thats how nationals are reffed. Basketball is a contact sport the SA interperitation of foul/no foul is soft and out of line with other states.

Reply #167374 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I have never seen a girl throw a punch in to the side of an apponents head while she is lying on the ground and have three referees on court officiating the game and NOT ONE saw the punch. Yet had blown the whistle and called the foul on the NSW player, it is going to open up the FLOOD gates, so to speak.

If she can get away with it and five minutes later try to chest another VIC player (obviously the bench has no control) then again will open up the FLOOD gates for retaliation and for every other player to start playing accordingly.

Reply #167377 | Report this post

BaronBrown  
Years ago

I agree with dontfeedpossums. Refs here are clueless as to how the game is played/umpired nationally. Our kids get a physical hammering at Nationals and Melbourne Classics and now PCS (apparantly) because they are not used to playing with body contact especially by big men. Here, if you're 6foot6 or taller, playing junior bball you better not play defense or you will get fouled out each week.

Learn the concept of jumping in the cylinder. Let the body contact around the basket go. If a guard barges through the key, out of control to run into some tall timber dont always call the foul on the big man.

Reply #167390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone actually watch a few of the matches played at the ECC closely and notice that there were far FAR too many non-calls going on. I think the refs did a fairly decent job there, but they must've been told to deliberately let the charge/block call go as a nocall beacuse it happened at least a dozen times in the few matches that I saw.

And not just soft body fouls that deserve to be let go, im talking about huge, obvious and blatant fouls that NEED to be called one way or the other. I mean when both players are smashing into the end wall about 3 meters from where the contact happened, and they both hit their heads and need a sub then surely a ref cant just stand there, suck their whistle like a stunned mullet and let play continue?!

In a particular case just like the one described above, both the SASI coach and VIC coach said to the refs, "There has to be something there, either against us or for us, that just can't be a no-call. We dont want any injuries" to which the referee replied "They were both moving, it was too close to call..."

THATS THE MOST BALONY EXCUSE I'VE EVER HEARD! IF THE DEFENCE IS MOVING, THEN ITS A BLOCK. IF THEY'RE NOT, ITS A CHARGE!

Reply #167530 | Report this post

Giraffe 81  
Years ago

JUST BECAUSE YOU YELL, DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE.

There is alot more judgement to it (block/charge/no-call) than that.

Reply #167541 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754