thedoctor
Years ago

Chris Webber?

Anyone know what's happening with him? I know he knocked back a contract to make him the highest paid player in Europe, on the basis that roster space would/might be made for him at Detroit.

With Maxiell/Wallace/McDyess playing so well in Detroit, I assume this is no longer on the cards?

Surely some team could use his services? Is anyone paying him at the moment? What about the Lakers? Add him for quality rebounding, passing and defence.

Topic #14165 | Report this topic

billups 1  
Years ago

bulls could use him off the bench

Reply #166117 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Lakers chemistry seems good at the moment. Why risk it?
How about Cleveland? Surely he would be handy to add to the pu pu platter.

Reply #166122 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Just on that chemistry thing, Bill Simmons wrote an interesting piece about teams following the Spurs lead and seeking out a roster that has good chemistry (as well as good characters and cap flexibility).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080102&sportCat=nba

Reply #166126 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

He knocked back Orlando a while ago as he still believes he's worth major minutes and a starting role.

My tip is that around the 65 game mark of the season the Pistons will waived Primoz Brezec and offer Webber a contract. Keep him fresh now so he'll have fresh legs come the run to the Finals.

This is a spot for him as Amir Johnson hasn't progressed as quickly as people would like (he's still an up and coming beast), and they are very thin if Dice and Sheed get into foul trouble.

Webber on gimpy knees is better than a fully fit Primoz.

Reply #166127 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Maybe he's just taking some time out

Reply #166136 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Is the most overrated player to ever play the game .
Sure he puts up numbers but he plays zero D , thinks crunch time is at breakfast and is locker room poison .

Reply #166140 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Maybe post knee surgery. But before in his glory days with the kings he was one of the most talented big men in the league hands down.

Reply #166142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you know he is locker room poison?

Reply #166148 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

lakers DONT need him. Bynum and Odum dominating rebobunds all over the place.

Reply #166169 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

I still would love him as a backup at LA off the bench Kobe

Bynum is in line for most improved

Odom is doing enuff to get by

Lakers arent the one man wrecking crew of last season

Fisher has brought alot to the team....gives us a solid PG who can defend and knock down shots....something smush couldnt do on a regular basis

Also the young players like Farmar, Bynum, Vujacic, Walton and so on....have started to blossum with more court time

I think the Lakers will go pretty deep into the playoffs this season....provided there are no major injuries

Reply #166243 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

fez i could almost say bynum WILL BE most improved.

Reply #166248 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

ANON - #166148 .

I guess from the numerous articles and player interviews i have read and seen i have formed an opinion that he carries alot of baggage .
Baggage filled with ego , selfishness and petulence .

I am not doubting his offensive skills .
Brilliant passer , Solid rebounder and Powerful finisher in his prime .

I am knocking his attitude , non existant D , ability to deliver anything in the crunch besides bricks and hand signals and his numerous sooky la la performances.

Reply #166252 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

So do i Kobe........That kid will become the next Wilt/Kareem/Shaq of the league

Reply #166254 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Amen to that fez

Reply #166256 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I def see the improvement of Bynum this year, he's improved leaps and bounds but this off season is the season where he could sign a contract extension makes me wonder... He's still my tip for MIP with a dark horse being Ronnie Brewer from Utah.

They do say that the third year of bigmen is usually the year they work it out and he did join the league at a real young age.

Phil has come out and believes Bynum's improvement is partly money related.

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_notes_10.345ce8b.html

Reply #166274 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

i think bynums improvement is because of who is coaching him. it helps doesnt it.

And please no one say phil jackson Lol.

Reply #166276 | Report this post

Years ago

I think Beno Udrih or even John Salmons from the Kings are big contenders for the NBA's Most Improved Player award this year as well.

As for Chris Webber, I don't think the Pistons really need him at the moment. Sure, he'd be handy, but they have plenty of capable big men that can do the job for them in the regular season and the playoffs.

I doubt he wants to go to any team that isn't a contender, and I don't think any contender really wants to upset their chemistry and their rotation at this stage for the sake of giving Webber a job. Teams are just really getting into a groove with things now, and bringing Webber in could upset the balance, especially if wins (or even big minutes) don't immediately follow. He has been known to get bit sulky when things don't go exactly his way.

Reply #166612 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3217920

Looks like Webber is going to play out the season with the Warriors, re-uniting him with Nelson.

Great signing IMO - will help against solid half-court teams like the Spurs. Has that fairytale elemant as well, that does become inportant during the playoffs. Good to see C-Webb back in the league.

Reply #169703 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Those iron hands that are so soft.

Reply #169705 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Looks like he'll be signing with the Golden State Warriors and re-uniting with Coach Don Nelson according to ESPN reports.

Gary Payton is also attracting interest.

Reply #169711 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Chris Webber has confirmed himself that the deal is done and he'll be with the Golden State Warriors in a day. He should be playing with the team by the weekend.

Reply #169725 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754