Mr KC
Years ago

Boomers squad

I am wanting to know everybody's thoughts on who you think will be in the Australian team if one was selected at the moment.
The bigs are the one's which are tricking me
and does Worthington deserve a gig?

thanks

Topic #14172 | Report this topic

drb  
Years ago

done and dusted, if u play for the kings u play for the boomers!

Reply #166211 | Report this post

Karate Kid  
Years ago

It will be interesting how many of the kings players get a place, but even better how many deserve it?

Smith
Saville
Worthington
they should all have a place in the team but that means brian has to leave out kendall and hinder

thats not going to happen

Reply #166213 | Report this post

Basketball jesus  
Years ago

My team would be:

PG: Bruton, Mills, Kendall

SG: Smith, Ingles

SF: Worthington, Saville

PF: Anderson, Holmes

C: Bogut, Schensher, Anstey

Thoughts ?

Reply #166215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the past the boomers have always suffered because they have not been able to pass the ball into their bigs, if the Boomers again go with 6 6 guys, when they play the Europeans they will not be able to get the ball into Bogut. They need 6 9 guys to pass the ball in, my suggestion is guys like Larry Davidson over 6 9 great ballhandler and passer. Mark Worthington is too short and hot headed.

Reply #166216 | Report this post

Lachy K  
Years ago

basketball jesus, it would seem that youve left out Brad Newely

Reply #166218 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

No Sam Mackinnon?

Reply #166220 | Report this post

top effort  
Years ago

i think that team is looking pretty acurate, sam mckinnon is always injured now days
and newly cant do it at the top level

good work

Reply #166221 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Worthington pfft dreaming. Cant play, oh wiat hes a king tho

Reply #166223 | Report this post

Honest Watcher  
Years ago

Basketball jesus wat were u thinking wen leaving newly and mackinon out of the team??

and top effort... agreeing?

PG: Mills, Bruton

SG: Smith, Ingles

SF: Newly, WOrthington, SAville

PF: Mackinon, Anderson, Neilson

C: Bogut, Schensher

Reply #166224 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Basketball Jesus didn't have room for Nielsen, Redhage or Ogilvy either but did find room for Jacob Holmes (!). My take?

1: Bruton Mills Mee
2: Newley Smith
3: McKinnon Saville
4: Redhage Neilsen Andersen
5: Bogut Ogilvy

Anstey won't commit to training etc so can't take him. Surely you're not serious about Holmes or Kendall. Ingles isn't as defensively tough as Smith. There just isn't room for Worthington in front of Redhage, Saville or Neilsen. Schenscher isn't tough enough v Ogilvy. Mee brings flexibility and length to the backcourt which is needed against the European teams. And Mills and Ogilvy must be picked with an eye to tomorrow.

That's my team. Peace. Word to your mother.

Reply #166225 | Report this post

Honest Watcher  
Years ago

how about jawai??

Reply #166226 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Honest looks MUCH getter. Top job.

Reply #166227 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

Honest Watcher I like your bigs but are we allowing for Ogilvy? I'd have him in now for exposure and playing along side Anderson can't hurt. I dont like Saville or Smith in the squad, old, slow and not upto going against real players 1 on 1. There will be no oppurtunity for our bigs to bail them out when there guy, well does anything even remotely aggressive. Im still trying to come up with a reasonable sub but surely we got some kids who'd be ready for a run. If we're coached right we should be able to take on most teams with the strength of our bigs and starting guards.

Reply #166229 | Report this post

Mr KC  
Years ago

redhage out jawai into MOSES team

otherwise nice

Reply #166231 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

PG: Bruton/Mills/Bruce
SG: Newley/Smith
SF: Mac/Wortho
PF: Andersen/Neilson
C: Bogut/Anstey/either Ogilvy or Jawai (or Maric?)

Reply #166233 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

jawai injured

Reply #166234 | Report this post

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

Larry Davidson??? what u on mate?

Reply #166235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruton
Mills
Kendall
Smith
Ingles
Worthington
Andreson
Anstey
Bogut
Jawai
Macinon
Mee

Reply #166238 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

BRUTON , MILLS , MEE
NEWLEY , INGLES
MacKINNON , SAVILLE , WORTHINGTON
NEILSON , ANDERSEN
BOGUT , JAWAI

I would rather see a young aussie like JAWAI instead of REDHAGE , plus we need his power and spunk .

Also think he is more suited and ready for international stlye than young stud in making Ogilvy.
Ogilvy should be groomed for 2010 worlds and beyond

Jason Smith is past his international use by date , plus he is knob .

Worthington definitely deserves his spot and his indide outside game is perfect and needed by this team .

Ingles is a guy that would hardly be used this olympics but is a big part of the future and he could be chucked in to change the momentum of a game if all else is failing , i also think he is the type to raise his game to the level of opposition .

Would actually toss up BARLOW or SAVILLE .
SAV is great but MacKINNON plays similar role and BARLOW has more spring and a better 3ball , SAV has the intangibles , either way one of them unlucky .

speaking of , UNLUCKy reserves are OGILY , LOUGHTON , BRUCE and BARLOW .

Reply #166242 | Report this post

duffdawg  
Years ago

steve markovic in with a shot for PG? Markovic is averaging 9.1 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game for his club

Reply #166244 | Report this post

Mr KC  
Years ago

twenty four u seemed to hav hit the nail on the head

that looks like a very strong line up

Reply #166245 | Report this post

duffdawg  
Years ago

moses guthrie im liking your squad the best..go boomers!

Reply #166246 | Report this post

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

duffdawg, im not liking your suggestion bout steve markovic. this is the best team we can put out there remember. i'd almost take bruce over markovic but i wouldnt take bruce....

Bruton/Mee/Mills
Newley/Ingles
Mac/Wortho/
Anderson/Nielsen/Ogilvy
Bogut/jawai

have to take Ogilvy instead of Redhage( i really couldnt see either getting much court time at the 4 spot behind Anderson and Nielson)Ogilvy needs to get the nod based on he's going to the big show and needs the exposure, not saying redhage wont make future teams but he's only just turned Aussie.

Have to take a FIT Mee, CJ and mills are our guys but Mee gives us something they both dont have,
Height and Defence at the point. i like that 3 at the point for us especially looking forward to see more of mills playing for the green and gold.

wich brings me to the 2/3 spot. bit suspect here i think, but i'd rather have Mee and Ogilvy in the side instead of Smith and Saville..........yeah i know they play for sydney but we cant keep playing them in the Boomers anymore. my feeling is BOY GOORG will probably pick smith instead of Ingles knowing he gets Defence.

Bloody Anstey, if he was available you would have to pick him. probably instead of ogilvy and play him as a 4 knowing he loves to shoot the 3 and stretch the defence...................he's still a D!ck though!

thats my team and there is no way i would have B.JOYCE as an assistant... i'd be putting a guy like Marty Clarke on the bench in some capacity(not at all likely though).

Reply #166251 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Obviously i like your team CAMPBELL as we have similar thinking and only one point of difference in Ogilvy for Worthington .

I think our teams offer the best blend of Youth and experience , diversity in skill sets and athleticism .

For example we need Jawai as he is our only real powerful player that can catch and dunk on heads and provide a presence and some vigour in the paint .

IMO , what Redhage , Loughton and Ogilvy give us is already there with Neilson and Andersen .

Reply #166255 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

If I can retract ..... if Jawai's healthy (some people are saying he's injured), he gets a gig.

1: Bruton Mee Mills
2: Newley Smith
3: McKinnon Saville
4: Andersen Neilsen Jawai
5: Bogut Ogilvy

Unlucky are Ingles, Worthington and Redhage. I'd say let them all slug it out at training/selection and the strong will survive. Is a deep team.

There used to be a rule that only one naturalised player could play in your side in international competition. If that's the case, Redhage will miss out as Mee is almost a must, as he brings something no other Aussie guard has - length, maturity and flexibility.

Reply #166257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go large u need david barlow to play the 1 and 2 spots so can pass inside against the big euro teams

Reply #166259 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Could not see Mee going, age and injuries.
Smith will go, Boy Goorj.
Kendall will go, see above.

Personally, do not think Saville will go, McKinnon and Worthington to share that role.

Personally, I would have

Bruton, Mills, Kendall
Newley, Barlow, Smith
McKinnon, Worthington
Anderson, Neilsen
Bogut, Jawai

Reply #166261 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Ugh. Here is the team;

PG: (CJ), Mills

SG: (Barlow), Harvey

SG/SF: Newley

SF: (Wortho), Sammy

PF: Ogilvy, (Andersen)

PF/C: Jawai

C: (Bogut), Anstey

I dont love having Anstey there. I bet by April i'd be putting Maric in his spot. Maybe Nielsen but only if he can be insured to train with the squad.

Don't bitch about Harvey. Anyone who shoots at .500 and .400 from behind the FIBA arc gets a spot.

Forget about Sav, Smith or Ingles. No form.

Reply #166262 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Oops, starters in brackets.

Reply #166263 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Mee looked pretty bad last time he played for Boomers. Seemed very lost, and I recall his D was realllllly letting him down - major lapses giving up easy buckets. Maybe there were other issues, but he just didn't seem up to that level anymore.

Reply #166265 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Doesn't Bruton count as a naturalised player? If not, I'd rather have Redhage in than Darnell Mee, but as I say, I'm not sure if it's possible to have either of them in the team. Here is my team:

STARTERS

C-Bogut
PF-Andersen
SF-Neilsen
SG-Mackinnon
PG-Bruton

BENCH

C-Ogilvy
PF-Jawai
SF-Harvey
SG-Newley
PG-Mills

RESERVE

Ingles
Worthington

Smith and Kendall are good but there are better guys availiable. Frget Hinder and Crosswhite, including either of those guys is an absolute joke and blatant bias on Goorj's part. And for GOD SAKE, foget Helliwell. I'm sick of seeing half our decent player not in the team and a bunch of average Sydney players running about the place.

Reply #166267 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

What about S Black - would he get a look in the team on current form?

as for Mee - I think his best was at least 2 yeras ago....has been injured for most of the season so Id be counting him out

Reply #166268 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Mee would need to be at least 95% fit and if so i still think he provides experience , winning mentality and length at the point .
He would be good for 12-15 mins a game which is all that is required from him .

It also allows CJ to slide to the 2 for periods while retaining some height and length defensively .

IMO , Also be good for MILLS dvelopment .

Reply #166271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about...

AUSTRALIA
Bruton, Mills, Smith, Barlow, Newley, McKinnon, Worthington, Neilson, Anderson, Anstey, Bogut, Schenscher.

VS

AUSTRALIA A from...
Bruce, Markovic, Gibson, Kendall, Ryan, Harvey, Saville, Ingles, Holmes, Laughton, Kickert, Hinder, Helliwell, Maric, Ogilvy, Jawai, Baynes, Harris.

Reply #166272 | Report this post

kings suck  
Years ago

for the australia vs australia A

switch saville with barlow

hinder shouldnt even be in the australia A team

switch schensher and jawai

Reply #166300 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

PG Bruton/Mills/Mee
SG Newley/Smith/Bruce
SF McKinnon/Barlow/Worthington
PF Anderson/Nielsen/Redhage
C Bogut/Jawai/Schenscher

I wouldnt mind if Ingles switched with Bruce and Wortho switched with Saville.

Reply #166333 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

My squad: (20 players allowed in the squad i think)

PG:
Mills
Bruton
Bruce
Black
Mee

SG:
Newley
Ingles
Barlow
Harvey

SF:
Redhage
Worthington
Mackinnon
Holmes

PF:
Loughton
Nielson
Jawai

C:
Bogut
Anstey
Andersen
Schenscher

cant wait to slip Ballinger in there soon.

Reply #166517 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

For these olympics I would be guessing something like

PG - (Bruton)/Mills/Mee
SG - (Smith)/Newley
SF - (Mackinnon)/Worthington/Barlow
PF - (Neilsen)/Andersen/Redhage
C - (Bogut)/Andersen/Jawai

Alot of verstility in the front line there with most players able to play 2 spots effectively. If Darnell or bruton are injured or whatever the we won't need to worry as barlow or smith can fill in at the 1. Stephen black would suit the international perimeter game well but I can't see him getting a gig as he is undersized at the 2 spot and not quick/athletic enough or a great driver/passer at the 1. James harvey has too much of ego, work ethic to play for Australia. BTW starters in brackets.

For the future after 2008 olympics, I would like to see a core young team of:

PG - Mills, Bruce, Gibson(maybe), D.Joyce [JOKE]
SG - Newley,
SF - Ingles, Redhage, Barlow
PF - Ballinger, Nielsen, Loughton
C - Bogut, Andersen, Jawai

Im not sure if we're aloud both Balliner and Redhage in the squad but if we cant then one of them will be unlucky. Barlow and Ingles can slide to the SG spot. This should be a great young group of players to build upon and just adding a few experienced players for each comp.

Reply #166545 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Forgot to add Worthington in there for the young group and alos maybe brad robbins

Reply #166546 | Report this post

Years ago

That second squad that Moses posted is perfect IMO. If they are all 150% healthy and commited, it should result in some sort of success in Beijing.

Reply #166614 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Should be allowed both Redhage and Balls i think, otherwise that means we cant take Mee this year because of Redhage.

Reply #166940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754