Nathan
Years ago

Hodge- i have never seen that before...

When is the last time a player went an entire game without shooting a single jumpshot???
Not even a real short 5 ft pull up???
He took it to the hole EVERY time.
Never took the easy option of a fadeaway.
It completely destroyed sydney's defensive sets and although he was credited with 8 assists, he was the catalyst for so many open looks through ball rotation.
It was just a joy to watch and i urge all fans to see this guy play.

Topic #14208 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

He bricked one really long two (I thought it was a three-pointer at the time, but perhaps his foot was on the line) early in the game and I think he also had a banked fadeaway that missed the ring towards the end, but otherwise did what he does best.

Reply #166620 | Report this post

TalentScout  
Years ago

He got away with that because he is new to the league. Teams will just sag right off him now.

Reply #166625 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

How anybody can get to the level he has without being able to shoot a basketball is pretty amazing. I mean his shot is just so wrong it's not funny. Has no follow through, shoots the ball on the way down with no timing or rhythm, elbow splays, just horrible. He can however get to the rim, cares on defence and rebounds consistently. He will make others around him better, purely from the fact the oppositions best defender will have to guard him because of the penetration threat. NBA material, no way. Could however carve out a living in the NBL, especially as he's young and if he wanted to go down the naturalised aussie road.

Reply #166633 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Best game I have been to at the Dome for a very long time. I thought Julius's leadership on the court was excellent. The boys overall looked more confident, were more in sync, and played with fire in the belly.
So what Izzy if you don't like his shooting style. As long as the ball goes in the hole does it really matter. What he brought to the team on Saturday was what we have been missing. Great pick-up gives us hope for the rest of the season.

Reply #166639 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought Izzy's assessment was pretty realistic and hardly an attack on Julius - the middle couple of lines were a solid endorsement. The comment was more so on the style of his shot and how it impacts him shooting from outside the key than on whether he can get it done other ways - e.g., inside the key.

It will be interesting to see if defenders do try sagging off him and how he'll get around that.

Definitely was an awesome game though. Could really scare a few other teams I think.

Reply #166643 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

sounds like what sixers have been lacking.

got shooters, got big guys, now they have a player who can take it from outside to the rack.

could be could for chemistry.

Reply #166650 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Izzy i also agree with your points. Its almost like his shot propulsion comes from forward shoulder rotation, rather than upward arm movement, but then again its just so different its hard to know where to start.

He has so much game, if he did have a good solid shooting technique, he would be automatic NBA and we just would not see him here at all. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out in coming games and how he develops a shot over his career which he will do given his reported work ethic.

Earving Magic Johnson had a similar skill set, {he also played a kind of a point forward position} and steadily developed his outside shot over time to be a very deadly weapon although it started much differently.

Reply #166652 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

The thing which I think he also adds is his ability to bring up the ball under pressure defense. As we know, the kings are such tough, hard one one one defenders and he was able to get by them with ease. This lightened Mahersy's and Davo's workload during the game and meant Ng didn't have to do it as he is probably less reliable.

This will be a big help and save energy for the other guys during future games.

Reply #166656 | Report this post

ando  
Years ago

I was so pleased to see this type of player finally arrive in our team. It's been a long time since someone could pull us together and show some real on court leadership. With him and Davidson, there should be no more backwards steps whenever another team takes it up to us.

He does have the most ridiculous shot, but if it does go in... I'm happy.

It was good to see some inside drive to the hoop and it was really good to hear the courtside drive from our supporters. We have been waiting for a very long time to see the old sixers back as this was easily the best game I have seen from us in 3 years.

Reply #166661 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Channel 9's report mentioned his shooting style when interviewing him yesterday - Julius mentioned he'd been working with Darren Ng on his shot (although I'm not sure how true this may be).

What impressed me about Hodge was how he seemed to go baseline and be able to get under defenders and to the basket. Could be an effective way of drawing defense away from Ballinger in the low post? either way, he also seemed quite good at getting the shot up in traffic, I don't see him lacking free throw attempts the rest of this season.

Reply #166663 | Report this post

Fat Bottomed Girl  
Years ago

I agree raytri; one of the best games my family has been to for 2-3 years.

I think the sad thing for Hodge is that a new coach will more than likley come in next year and want to stamp his own style on the team, leaving Hodge to look for another gig.

Hodge was raw, but boy did he show some passion, somthing the 6ers have been without for a long time.

Reply #166668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 36ers have had passion all this year, just played with 1.5 imports for a bit of the season.

Reply #166670 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

1.5 is being generous there isaac

Reply #166671 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Thomo, Balls was playing as 1.2 :-)

Reply #166684 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

:D xy that makes sence then :)

Reply #166687 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

16 games is also more then a 'bit' of the season

Reply #166693 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think just due to his lack of jump shot he will be inconsistent at times, if he attacks the rim and they don't drop or he gets done for some charges what does he have to fall back on? like a previous poster it was great to see him bring the ball up with his extra size and turn of pace he should be able to help ng and brett out. Its just good to have something to be excited about.

Reply #166765 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

Givin time Hodge can develope a jumper but respect to the fact he scored 24pts by just movin and grovin inside the paint let's hope he's a fast learner.Imagine what he could score 50-60 not out of the question.

Reply #166798 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

OK Isack, I've had enough of your crap.
Tell us all about the huge loss of Oscar's services to the 36ers & why he had to be been retained?
Has Oscar had NBA experience, has he played in the Euro league. NO & NO.
He's your brother & he's doing OK for himself. Get over it T00L.

Reply #166820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, say it one more time. You are not DDfan. When it is a promotion, it has gone to far. When not, I am going to have a heart to heart with xxxx xxxxxxx.

Reply #166822 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

You really want to be banned, don't you DD?

Reply #166823 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by James W:
"Channel 9's report mentioned his shooting style when interviewing him yesterday - Julius mentioned he'd been working with Darren Ng on his shot (although I'm not sure how true this may be).

And how much thought did you put into that post?

Reply #166824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DDfan,

What was that about!?!?

Did Issac say something in another thread to upset you?

Reply #166825 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

You've really overstep the mark. You have had a cheap shot on that has zero input to the matter being discussed. Just plain and simply cheap....

From my time on this forum I've never read Isaac defend the actions of his brother, and has step away and not become involved and refused to comment. At times he's been the one of the most critical of Oscar's game...

Hell, I'm not going to waste my time as I'm not being paid to deal with this nut job..

Reply #166826 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

DDFan, get the Coach to bring you to a Sixers game next time...

Reply #166839 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You've really overstep the mark. You have had a cheap shot on that has zero input to the matter being discussed. Just plain and simply cheap....

From my time on this forum I've never read Isaac defend the actions of his brother, and has step away and not become involved and refused to comment. At times he's been the one of the most critical of Oscar's game...

Hell, I'm not going to waste my time as I'm not being paid to deal with this nut job..

Exactly my thoughts TR, exactly!

If you search around DD you will see what TR is talking about, at no point has Isaac criticised the club or Oscar for the decisions that they both made, he states facts and nothing more.

Reply #166875 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Only a complete tool like DDFan could turn a thread about Hodge into a criticism of Issac and Oscar. Neither of these guys have ever done anything to you and actually contribute to the game. You sit there and slag off at people that simply have done nothing to warrant it. Have a go at me you tool....you don't know anything about me either.

Reply #166882 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DDFan, I think you're reading into something that isn't there. Which post in this thread here made you angry?

I know you think that I have some vendetta against all things 36ers because Oscar moved to another team but that's very incorrect. (The thing I aggressively opposed in past years was the administration and its contracted marketing - I thought they were doing a very poor job.)

The club and coach here were very good to him when he started his career and stuck by him through some seasons where he made barely incremental improvements. When the offer came for him to move I was very happy for him - it actually doesn't bother me that much that he works in another country and I am not bitter about it at all. He seems genuinely happy where he is and the 36ers are having a rapidly improving year. He's entirely irrelevant to this thread especially (unless someone said "Oscar should watch this gametape to learn how to drive into the key!").

Reply #166883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who was the former Forestville player that had the awkard Free Throw shooting style?

Reply #166949 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Andy Simons? Current ABL coach. Had a funky but *very* effective shot. Unlike Hodge who has a funky but ineffective action!

Still, a guy like Rashad Tucker was never much of a threat to score outside of the key (though, he did hit enough shots to keep the D honest) & he still had a few very good seasons.

If Hodge could just develop into a good enough shooter to keep the D honest, then he'll be very effective in this league, IMO.

Reply #166976 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

That was Symonds I think anon..

Reply #166985 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Oops, sorry HA, had not refreshed when I posted that..

Reply #166988 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Hodge is great for the 36ers. He's a slasher and not afraid to take it to the basket. He's entertaining and able to throw down some dunks.

He's very young too with a bright future ahead for him in the NBL if he wants it. I'd love him to stay with the 36ers for a few years.

I don't think he's strong enough for NBA level. Then again I could be very wrong and he could very well prove me wrong. If he proves me wrong, I won't be afraid to admit it.

Go Hodge & 36ers!

Reply #167040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754