Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Friday Thinktank - too much basketball played?

It's back for a second week - if nothing else, I think 'thinktank' is a better name than 'thinking cap'.

Today's topic: is there too much basketball played?

Do we really need 82 regular season NBA games?

Does the NBL really need to play midweek?

Do our juniors need to train twice a week and play once a week 11 months of the year from the age of 10 or younger?

(Three separate issues, I know, but we're a thinktank here people - we're not getting paid to not think about these things.)

I think the Wildcats game was a classic example of too much basketball - instead of playing it on a Friday or Saturday and having a week to talk about the Kings game and build up the hype, and get even more bums on seats, it was on a Wednesday and there were 4 days. And now the team is playing again tonight, away. I can barely keep up.

I am intrigued by how much of a hold the NFL continues to gain in the sporting mind of Americans, and I think it's due in no small part to them not diluting their product with meaningless games. 16 regular season games, the vast majority of them played on the same day each weekend - the games mean a lot more and the 6-day cycle of dissecting the previous weekend's results and then building up the forthcoming games seems to work at the moment. You could argue it's a similar thing for AFL, or even A-league.

I know there are other factors at work here, like TV etc. But it shouldn't be a case of 'play on a Wednesday, and they will watch'.

More isn't necessarily better. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Topic #14272 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I like how you waited until we had 6100+ to a Wednesday night game before running with this topic. ;)

I don't care too much about NBA results, but I like doing the TSN fantasy comp and looking at boxscores so 82 games suits me.

Might have a point with the NBL though. With the current number of opponents, you do need to play everyone twice and that's only four games fewer than we have now. If the number of teams drops, then we could have a 20-24 game season which could be OK.

Reply #167639 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I think there is something to be said about the mid week game.

Sixers used to be as regular as clock work.

We played either on a Saturday or Friday night. And you knew that the team we where playing was playing Perth the opposite night.

The mid week games do not seem to work as well. Game is often televised live (should be delayed in the home state) and you have the issue of knocking off work grabbing the kids/wife etc and then getting to the game within 2 hours.

NBA players don't like the 82 games but it is more to do with parity of having teams play each other even times unlike the NBL.

On the kids point i would like someone to stat the lifeline of kid ball players. I have a theory that the the kids who play div1 most of their junior careers end up walking away from the game due to too much exposure to it (extra coaching/ one on one's etc)

The kids that are lower ranking through to say u/18
usually play on in my experience to make up the bulk of senior teams.

Anyone know if this is remotely correct or if anyone has done the numbers on it?

Reply #167642 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I think the fact there was 6100 to a Wednesday game says more about the quality of Adelaide fans than it does about the schedule. My point (I think) is that it probably could/would have been even more with the extra few days sizzle.

And I had to wait until today to post; the thread title demanded this be so. ;)

Reply #167645 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Midweek games while great if Im sitting at home dodging McLeaods Daughters on TV are a pain in the bum to get to. Also playing some teams 3 times and some twice is just stupid and makes for an unfair competition. Cut it back to playing each team twice - once home - once away - and have games on Friday and Saturday nights and late arvo on a Sunday (same as the A league) With 13 teams (probably 12 next year) would make for 22 home and away games - have a top 5 or 6 and then make the finals best of 3 series.

Reply #167648 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

Thinktank, Thinking Cap - I don't care what you call it but it should never be used in the same line as "Friday". What happened to Video Friday - I was much better at that.

Reply #167649 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rex - Video Friday is waiting for people to find something interesting to post. I can always post Techno Viking again!

Reply #167652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I loved Techno Viking...

Reply #167656 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Rex, I've already got next Friday's thinktank question set to go: 'What happened to Video Friday?'.

Then, in a hilarious burst of postmodern irony, if you could re-start the Video Friday thread and somehow post a video of people having a thinktank, I think you'd earn yourself a basketball icon.

Reply #167661 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Reply #167668 | Report this post

Ice  
Years ago

Kent, your theory on kids in lower grades making up the bulk of sbl teams is totally ridiculous. To put it simply if you haven't got the skills to be in div 1 by under 18, you ain't going to have the skills to make it at senior men's level a couple years later, unless you are 7ft.

I doubt you would find one player in each team that was in Div 2 in under 18's who is now playing senior men's/abl.

Reply #167682 | Report this post

William 43  
Years ago

Spud played U18 Div. 2 for West as a junior. So far he has collected the Bearcat Medal and Academy MVP.

Surely there are other examples?

Reply #167693 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

That is my theory. To clarify i don't necessarily mean just div 1 men / women I mean all senior teams.

The kids that keep working on their game and have a real passion for it seem to rise to the top where at the few that are naturally good at the game when they are young seem to lose interest in most cases by the time seniors comes around.

Kind of like the ugly chick in high school who turns out to be a supermodel if you know what i mean

Reply #167695 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

6100 bums on seats last Wednesday? Did all those "Al Green" camp kids pay or were they given freebies.

If Freebies it was still a good mid week crowd, but artificially inflated.

Mid week games suck IMO!

Reply #167700 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754