Anonymous
Years ago

Looking for a club to play for

Hey all,

Newbie here,looking for help.. I'm going to be studying in Adelaide for the next 4 years and am looking to join a basketball club.. (2008-2011) But have no idea what levels there are and how it works to join.. Would really appreciate if anyone could give a rough guide on how it works to join a club (as an international player) any level in the Adelaide basketball league..

Quick profile:

6'1, 18 year old SG, have been playing ball for the past 6 years and have been on my highschool's team for the past 4 years. Not exactly a "star" player but can shoot the ball when i'm open fairly well. Willing to pass more than shoot if needed.

Just looking for a club to join not too far away from the city, to develop my skills and play competitive ball. Any help really appreciated! Cheers!

Topic #14316 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

woodville warriors could use you

Reply #168395 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Give Glen Matheison at Forestville a call - and have a chat. They are based at Wayville so not too far from the city.

His number is available here

Reply #168404 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

We have what is called a district competition in Adelaide (Australia) - starting at under 10 and going through to 12s, 14s, 16s, 18s and 20s. You would be under 20s.

Once you finish playing in the above junior comps you go play seniors. Divs 1-5 again at senior level, however you won't play div 1 or 2 unless you are fairly talented.

Around 10-15 clubs participate in divisions 1-5. If you are ery good you play 1s, decent you play 2s, ok 3s and so on. Sounds like you may be at around div 2 or 3 level based on your write-up.

As already stated in this thread, Forestville is the closest club to the city and a very successful club. Woodville isn't too far away either. I'd say you contact the club and would hopefully get invited out to train (we are about a quarter way through the season so trials have already been held), and then see if you get a spot from there..

Good luck mate

Reply #168420 | Report this post

bball  
Years ago

WOODVILE WARRIORS could use you

Reply #168436 | Report this post

Swish 'n Dish  
Years ago

If you are not busy on Wednesday, you may be able to get a game at the Distinctive Homes Dome.......

Reply #168440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westies need you, were are you living???

Reply #168449 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

woodville - contact 84446444 for more details
5 minutes from city on western side

Reply #168480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to
http://www.basketballsa.com.au/fs_home.asp

and click on the link "where can I play" in the secondary menu

Reply #168492 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

where u from Newbie anon?

Reply #168499 | Report this post

Smarthe  
Years ago

Please come to Distinctive Homes Dome on Wednesday night. We could use a kid like you. We are short on guards right now as our star guard pulled a calf, the other looks like he will get suspended and the other is suspect and looks like he will be out due to injury.

The only condition is you have to be smart enough to coach yourself and lead a bunch of professional athletes as we dont really have any coaches and we just kind of coach ourselves. With our star guard out we need an oncourt coach because sure as hell no one else will do it.

Seeya there champ....

Reply #168505 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Go onto facebook and go search for UniSA basketball Basketball club. Otherwise talk with your University Student Association.

If you are good enough to play Div 1 or Div 2 then you'll probably be approached by a foundation district club at the end of your first season. If you are approached then there will be a chance that you might play in the Australian Basketball League (ABL) which is a second tier competition to the National Basketball League. The difficulty with playing for most foundation district clubs is that they usually have their division 1 and division 2 rosters settled by now and they are pretty tough to break into straight off the plane.

I suggest you try Division 3 first (UniSA are always looking for players) and see what happens from there. Good luck.

Reply #168550 | Report this post

Swissboy  
Years ago

Wow, thanks alot for the quick replies ppl.. The bad point a forgot too mention is that I only get too Adelaide in a weeks time, and start uni in 2 weeks time, so I dunno my timetable for when i maybe free or when not.. But will keep those numbers down for sure! ( Also will post back when i'm down under)

Background info:
I'm half swiss half malaysian chinese, but a swiss national.. build would be: lean.. lol, ok for bball.. played for high school "A" division over here in Singapore for the international schools basketball league... but prob. wont compare too the aussie leagues =P

Reply #168560 | Report this post

Swissboy  
Years ago

btw. I have facebook, so will check up the UniSA basketball Basketball club group.

Keep the info coming, very much appreciated! thanks again!

Reply #168561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Woodville women have spots in division three with the opportunity to move up levels if you were performing well.
Check out the website at www.woodville.basketball.net.au
You would need to speak to Lynne Holland, there are contact numbers and a email address on the site.

Reply #168613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definitely give glen matheison a call at forestville eagles and he will give you lots of information and help. unless you have already found a club....? If so where did you end up going what grade are you playing?

Reply #172660 | Report this post

Patrict  
Years ago

Reply #206624 | Report this post

INNOCENT  
Years ago

HELLO SIR IM INNOCENT BY NAME MALE 17 FROM NIGERIA IM A GOOD PLAYER TO KNOW IM TALL SLIM AND I PLAY AS A CENTRAL DEFENCE SOMETIME MY COACH MAKE USE OF ME AS A STRIKER I HOPE IM SENDING YOU THIS MAIL DUE TO THE GOOD I AM IM A VERY SIMPLE GUY TO KNOW GOOD FRIENDLY OPEN MINDED AND I WILL BE VERY HAPPY IF YOU CAN CONSIDER ME INTO YOUR TEAM AND I BET YOU I WILL NEVER LET YOU DOWN AND I WILL ALWAYS MAKE YOU PROULD OF ME IM GOOD AND I HAVE THE ABILITY TO PLAYAND I WILL BE VERY HAPPY TO HEAR BACK FROM YOU SOON HERE IS MY [email protected] I WILL BE VERY GLAD TO HEAR BACK FROM YOU AND YOU CAN ASK ME ANYTHING YOU WHICH TO ASK THANKS SIR

Reply #206625 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

In this country, the activity I believe you are referring to is called SOCCER.

and stop shouting.

Reply #206636 | Report this post

iddrisu terkper  
Years ago

AME - IDDRISU TERKPER

DATE OF BATH - 28TH MAY 1990

PLACE OF BIRTH - TEMA

NATIONALITY - GHANAIAN

WEIGHT - 65KG

HEIGHT - 5.8 FT TALL

POSITION - OFFENSIVE MIDFIEDLDER

PRESENT CLUB - ZAYTUNAL (2005  2007)

PREVIOUS CLUB - ARSENAL BABIES ACADAMY (1998 - 2005)

CONTACT NUMBER - 00233-276_804133 OR 00233-22-205901

INTERNATIONAL DEBUT - GHANA NATIONAL UNDER (15) (2003)

REFFERNCE - COACH JONES ATIQUAFIO

00233-244-238891

MARITAL STATUS - SINGLE

MY NAME IS IIDDRIU TERKPER I AM 19YRS YEARS OLD,

I AM A VERY TALENTED, FOCUSED AND SKILLFUL PLAYER WITH GREAT POTENTIALS.
I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY IN YOUR FOOTBALL CLUB/YOUTH FOOTBALL ACADEMY TEAM AND I PROMISE TO DO MY BEST IN THE UPLIFTING OF YOUR ESTEEMED FOOTBALL CLUB. I BELIEVE THAT MY TRIALS WILL DEFINITELY CONVINCE YOU.

I WAS BORN A FOOTBALLER AND WAS TRAINED AS A UTILITY PLAYER AND I WOULD LOVE IF YOU GIVE ME THE CHANCE/OPPORTUNITY TO PROOVE MYSELF TO YOU AND THE CLUB. I AM A SKILLED FOOTBALLER AND I WANT TO TAKE MY FOOTBALL CAREER TO A GREATER HEIGHT AND TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

PLEASE KINDLY BRIEF ME ON HOW I CAN JOIN YOUR YOUTH FOOTBALL CLUB/ACADEMY AS I PROMISE TO DO MY BEST IN THE UPLIFTING OF THE CLUB.

ATTACHED IS MY FOOTBALL CV FOR YOU TO GO THROUGH.

I DO HOPE TO READ/HEAR FROM YOU COACH/MANAGER.
THANKING YOU.
YOURS FAITHFULLY,

Reply #243946 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

IDDRISU, I would be happy to assist you in furthering your career. I believe we may have a spot in outr squad for you. Just forward then details of your bank account to me so I can transfer 500 000 ringworms to your account (you will need this currency in our country).

Ps you did not attatch your cv.

Reply #243952 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DB5, how did you miss "Date of Bath"? I think the ringworms would be deterred unless the host was cleaner.

Iddrisu, this is a basketball website, not a soccer website - sorry.

Reply #243954 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Touche Isaac, your attention to detail humbles me once again. This is why you run this site (not just because of the dollars), and why you are the "ringleader".

Still waiting to see the cv....

Reply #243971 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754