XY
Years ago

Sixers v Tigers pre-game thread, 23 Jan 2008

I thought I would kick off procedings for this blockbuster contest.

Admittedly, on paper, it looks like a bit of a mis-match.

Firstly, you have the visiting Melbourne Tigers sitting in second place with a 17-6 record and with a full roster of players. Coming off a comprehensive win against the Breakers, they ought be full of confidence. Lampley has adjusted well to the team, DT is now getting back into some form, and the Tigers are looking good for the playoffs.

Then you have the Sixers, struggling at 10-14, but still with a mathematical chance of making the finals (I love it when it starts getting mathematical). Currently on a three game losing streak, the Sixers over that time conceded 74 more points than their opposition, concluding with the record-breaking 48 point drubbing by Brisbane, in which the Sixers gave away a club-record 155 points. The Sixers will again be without inspirational leader Mahersy, and rumour suggests Hodge will also miss due to the ankle injury that kept him out of the second half of the Brisbane game. Add to that, Copeland faces the tribunal today for scaring an umpire, and could also be rubbed out. This is the Sixers' 5th game in 12 days, and you would expect fatigue to be a factor, if they hadn't slept through the Bullets game.

Ok, so it is a mis-match. They don't come much bigger.

However, I for one am getting excited about tomorrow night. I am planning on going to the Tour Down Under street party in Unley. I would look for someone to use my season tickets, but I don't think I could pay anyone to go to this one.

Biggest question of the night: Can the Sixers get within 20?

I am predicting a disaster. So, is anyone going? Anyone prepared to back the Sixers?

Game apparently tips off at 7:00 at the Dome, notwithstanding that Fox have sensible stayed away from this one.

Topic #14331 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I reckon Copes, with any luck, might cop a warning (or a fine?) and that Hodge might play (just guessing). That would, at least, give us all but Maher on court.

At least in Anstey there is a villain for the crowd - no one to really grate the crowd in that Perth match.

Reply #168590 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

It saddens me when the "no point going, they will lose by more than 15" factor kicks in for me. I should really go, as a supporter of the team...but considering they're not at full strength anyway, I think I'd rather save myself the pain.

I don't foresee a crowd of much more than 4000 for this one, if they even get that.

Reply #168591 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'll definitely be going to the game as I am a season ticket member.

I think our team will be spanked by 20+ points.

I have a feeling Hodge will play despite the media reports of an ankle injury. I'm sure he's deprived himself of sleep to ice and rehab to the thing. Otherwise he'll rest til the weekend games.

Reply #168599 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

..I'm a long term ticket holder.. and I am going.. but I really am not expecting much... at all. I NEARLY convinced myself not to go.

If we had not beaten the Kings the other day I probably wouldn't have bothered going. That win retains a slight glimmer of hope for a good game for me.

ShaneD

Reply #168614 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I'd say Rogers is more of a villian than Anstey Isaac, lol i actually like Anstey... Barlow is my villian.

Reply #168616 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I apologise for the sarcastic tone and general pessimism of the original post. However, I think my confidence in this team is at an all time low.

Reply #168622 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anstey is a league-wide villain IMO. I actually like how Rogers has played well since his average time here - I don't consider him a villain at all.

Reply #168623 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

I will be there to watch the Tigers put another nail into the coaching career of you know who, not many games to go for players wanting contracts for next year, time for the bench Nevilles to step up.

Why don't they call Eric Burdon "Animal" hey music man play some animals when he comes on. For those who don't know or are too young to know what i am on about try this.

http://www.ericburdon.com/

Reply #168626 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

I will not be attending the game this week in light of the terrible performances over the past 3 games.

Reply #168628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interested to know which game/result impacted your enthusiasm most? Or is it just an overall impact that has hurt your expectations for the game(s) to come?

Reply #168629 | Report this post

Unley  
Years ago

If that is the reason keeping you from the game, then basketball is better off without you. You still get the chance to watch some fantastic players and the "You never Know" factor".
You should hold your head in shame.......
What are you going to do, stay home and watch some B grade film on SBS..........

Reply #168630 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably best to encourage the marginal fans rather than say "better off without you".

Reply #168635 | Report this post

BR  
Years ago

As bad as the last 3 games have been I cant imagine anyone not enjoying the Sydney game.

If I chose not to go and the sixers put in a performance like that one I would be regretting not attending.

Reply #168640 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Unley, I've paid my money, I have my tickets, I have attended every game of the season so far, I've watched the highs and survived the lows. However, I choose not to attend this Wednesday, rather than have to face up to the inevitable pain of another pitiful performance. I found something more interesting to do (which in the circumstances was not dificult).

What right does your going to see some 'fantastic players' (on the other team I assume) give you to judge me?

Hopefully the Sixers win, for your sake as well as mine. Hell, if they can get close, without Maher, Copeland and Hodge, they deserve medals.

Isaac, I think it is a gradual building of discontent which was broken open by the farce of the Brisbane game.

Anyway, with Copes suspended, there are going to be some interesting matchups in this game:

Centre:
Anstey - Cooper/Mottram

Forward:
Lampley/Hoare v Ballinger & Dench
DT/Barlow v no-one (Sutts/Gerlach?)

Guard:
DT/Corletto/Crosswell/DMac - Davidson/Ng/Burdon

Reply #168661 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Tigers should have this in the bag. The fact that Maher, hodge and copeland will probalby all miss the game will make the rotations very bad, and phil will have to play sutton, burdon, dodman and gerlach more than he would want to.

Hope Anstey doninates as he is my dream team captain.

Reply #168694 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

It may be lucky, I am going to Mt Gambier the next 2 days and cannot go, but otherwise I would be there. I have not paid over $600 for tickets and not go, no matter how bad the team is going. But at the same time, I can detect a distinct lack of interest now even in this Forum frpm people who are simply worn out with what we have wirnessed this season.
So glad I did not hear the interview on 5AA too - I know exactly how it would have gone. Perhpas the program needs a few of the contributors on here to call 5AA and make a few relevant points just to balance things out a bit.
My only wish now is to see a couple of our younger guys perform well in these last few games, that is if they get time on court of course.
No matter how any of us feel about the mess this year, I am also sure that we always love to see the Sixers boys win, just like we did against Sydney. Although it does make me wonder now about the mindset of the Sydney team that night. Really they had nothing to prove and we had everything to gain. Despite that though, at least there were some highlights that night that we could enjoy.

Reply #168695 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Rogers is not a villain for me either. We may never have gotten Rychart if it wasn't for him. I will always be indebted to him. All 36ers supporters should be indebted to him because of 3 good years we got from Rychart.

Now on the subject of tomorrow night's game, what is the penalty if the 36ers don't suit up? They have only an embarrassment to look forward to and the risk of further injury. I would prefer to cut my losses and hand over the win to the Tigers without putting any effort into it. There would be benefits to the 36ers in that they can further rest their bodies for the next game. Tigers to win by 50.

Reply #168709 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Regarding Burdon, you could easily play "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" - he might not be the only player think it at the moment!

Me thinks Adelaide to lose by 20+.
No Hodge, Maher and Copes = won't cope!

Reply #168722 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

Yeah, Unleys right you do still get to watch some fantastic players, it's just a pitty they'll all be playing for the other team.
No Maher, no Hodge and no Copeland (Copes might not contribute too much on the court anymore, but he does do a good job at pumping up the guys - If you've ever sat near the bench you'll know what I mean) so I'd have to say no hope of this not being a blow out game.

I predicted Brisbane by 40 last game, I'm tipping Tigers by 35pts, and fingers crossed it will be the last 36er game coached by the garden gnome.

Reply #168731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754