Melvin Corpuscle
Years ago

This loss lays firmly on Phil's head

I've never been more furious at the end of a game. That was there to be won, and two stupid subs in the last quarter killed it for us.
Down 7 with 7 to go, Hodge scores 6 in a row, and is constantly gee-ing up the crowd ... so who gets benched ? By the time he got back on, game had already slipped away.

Needing stops and boards in last few minutes, what should we do:
a) keep in the guy who's been a monster on the boards, and been defending reaaaaaally well or
b) cooper, who played average and who's timing was off for boards, blocks and pretty much everything all night ...
Tough choice ... and of course, wrong choice made.

It's the kind of subbing you see in an u14s game - making sure everyone gets minutes, without caring about what's happening on court and who's doing well.

I put it to you all that we would have been better had Phil done NOTHING in that last quarter, and the team called their own subs - and we would have won.

Seems Phil just is not tuned into the game when it counts the most - and considering how many changes and how proactive he was for the first 3 quarters I'm even more disappointed - as he CAN do the job properly, he's just CHOOSING not to.

As a fan of over 20 years, and season ticket holder for 8 seasons, it hurts to say this, but If he's at the helm next game, my season tickets go in the bin. I can't stand to watch this proud club being handled in such an amateurish fashion.

Topic #14361 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah taking hodge off was the biggest bonehead move of the night, he got us back in the game all by himself.

Reply #168926 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Much respect to Julius,
could barely go beyond a jog,
yet he fronted,
and threatened constantly with the ball.

Reply #168934 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

In fact, here's a copy of the email just sent of to 6ers admin. Feel free to copy and send if you agree:

It has become blatantly obvious that Phil is just not tuned into the game when it counts the most (the fourth quarter) ... and considering how many changes and how proactive he was for the first 3 quarters I'm even more disappointed - as he CAN do the job properly, he's just CHOOSING not to.

I've never been more furious at the end of a game. Tonight's game versus Melbourne was in the bag, and two stupid subs in the last quarter killed it for us.

Firstly, subbing out Hodge with 6 minutes left in the game was inexcusable. He'd scored the previous 6 points, and the way he was gee-ing up the crowd, there was no way he should have been taken out of the game. No Coach in his right mind would have made this move. By the time he got back on, game had already slipped away.

Secondly, needing stops and boards in last few minutes, what should we do:
a) keep in the guy who's been a monster on the boards, and been keeping the Tiger's big men relatively quiet, or
b) cooper, who played average and who's timing was off for boards, blocks and pretty much everything all night ...
Again - easy decision to make, and no coach would have risked putting on Coop at that point in the game.

It's the kind of subbing you see in an u14s game - making sure everyone gets minutes, without caring about what's happening on court and who's doing well.

I put it to you all that we would have been better had Phil simply let the team call their own subs - and we would have won.

As a fan of over 20 years, and season ticket holder for 7 or 8 seasons, it hurts to say this, but If he's at the helm next game, my season tickets go in the bin. I can't stand to watch this proud club being handled in such an amateurish fashion.

If this were any other club in the league, the coach would have been given his marching orders long ago (if not prior to this season, then weeks ago when it seemed that he stopped caring about the results).

After last season's disappointment, I was ready for the clean slate, and ready to see a rejuvenated Adelaide team take it to the top teams, but we've seen the same disinterested, reactive (not proactive) coach, making the same poor decisions nearly every game.

There is a difference between showing loyalty, and blindly accepting a situation and those involved - and you, as administrators, need to show that you know the difference, and that you are willing to make the tough decisions to ensure the future of this once proud franchise.

I only hope that if nothing changes in the next few weeks, that you can at least be proactive in the off season and breathe some life into this team, before we become the next West Sydney, Wollongong ... or even Hunter Pirates, or Hobart Devils.

yours sincerely,

Melvin Corpuscle (well, actually I used my real name)

Reply #168935 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

couldnt agree more f**k voldermort he cost us.

Reply #168939 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

yeh his subbing in the first 3 quarters was AWESOME getting every1 in the game.. but the 4th... refer to melvins letter, was an enjoyable game but we cuda won that no problem!

Reply #168940 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Melvin, sad but true. But at least he makes the opposition coach look good.

Reply #168942 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I've always really liked Phil as a person, always smiling, having a good time, joking around with the media (when he's NOT using it to cover up his woes, that is) and he just seems like a really good bloke. But the sad truth is, he has to go. I've just simply had enough of the dumb substitutions, lack of development of young guys and annoying comments in the media post game like "well we had 2 guys out and the 4th game this week so you could really expect more than that (a blow-out loss). Although I want him gone (along with dench), I would hate to see him coach another NBL team.

Reply #168943 | Report this post

Years ago

SO everybody has the inside scoop on the players and is suddenly expert enough to coach an Nbl team. I hope when phil goes you all put in a resume so you can be flatly rejected.

Reply #168947 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hodge was playing through injury tonight. I am amazed he suited up at all. He was in no condition to soldier on to the extent that all you posters on this subject expect. What he achieved was amazing considering what he was going through but I doubt he could have played the whole 7 minutes in the end. Nick, why would you hate to see our coach in another NBL team? If he is as bad as everyone says, then that's one team we won't have to worry about in future.

Reply #168948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ever given your opinion on a movie? are you an actor? dimwit!

Reply #168950 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hodge was absolutely fine in that last 5minutes. No sign of injury in that fourth quarter. C'mon Boti hold him accountable! I have to know why that sub was made!!! Surely a former player himself would have an even better feel for when a guy is hot and when NOT to sub him out. DISGUSTED, and ready for true revamp at the 36ers!

Reply #168951 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

true he was hurt but he just does not give up, i'm sure he could have pushed on and would have made it clear when he could do no more. I think at the very least you had to ride his hot hand until it went cold. I was just really baffled by some of the subs late. Also gotta give it to ng he was fantastic and has been massive of late or when he get a good amount of burn, but its a little worrying that he seems to have cramp problems.

Reply #168952 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

joshua i wouldnt worry about ng's injury he can heal himself

Reply #168959 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

ive sent that email as well melvin! so frustrated at that decision to sub Hodge out and Mottram to Bring in Cooper.

Reply #168960 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

22 - I had a friend come to her FIRST ever game this year. Didn't know ANYTHING about basketball, yet by the second quarter, she was questioning what Phil was doing - THAT"s how obvious it is that he is doing things WRONG !!!!

Reply #168963 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

22 - we may not be nbl coaches but we are not dumb, we can read between the lines. seems to me your the only one not upset by the 4th quarter subs. suprised that voldermort didnt sub on sutton half way through the 4th the way he did against perth last week.

Reply #168967 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Really expected to see more of Burdon in that guard rotation, especially once the Ninja cramped up. Burdon was on court for 2 mins 19 seconds and hit a 3, the only shot he took in that time plus got called for a (very soft) foul by an out of position Bignell before being dragged. Other than that, was playing good defence and had a decent game for the short time he was allowed on court.

Not much use playing that little court time - similar to Sutton's use by Phil one week ago - when Sutts saw a whole 91 seconds of court time, but achieved absolutely nothing in that time.

Also no use of Gerlach who Phil suggested would probably get a run in Boti's article published in the lead up to the game.

At least we didn't have to watch Copeland play his usual "Catch and Release" 3pt shot over and over.

Reply #168968 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

"SO everybody has the inside scoop on the players and is suddenly expert enough to coach an Nbl team. I hope when phil goes you all put in a resume so you can be flatly rejected."

You can crawl out from under the rock now 22.

Reply #168971 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

If Hodge's injury was preventing from having an effect on the gema, then YES you sub him out with 6 to go, but to that point in the 4th he was our ONLY player who showed any aggression on offense. TERRIBLE SUB!

Running 3 centers for half the game cost us just as much, Dench was guarding Barlow at one stage. HA!

I'm sending the email now

Reply #168975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

young players lose faith when told they will play but never get on. confusingfor gerlach.

Reply #168983 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

Not sure if this has come up before or not, but what are the chances that Phillip has found he can earn more money by getting the opposing clubs to pay him to throw games. It kinda makes sense, the only teams he's won against this season all have or are rumoured to have financial problems, so maybe they couldn't come up with the cash to ensure a win.
Just trying to get my head around some of the coaching decisions of late...

Reply #168987 | Report this post

Juno  
Years ago

If Hodge was that injured he would not have been out on the town after the Brisbane loss.

Reply #168994 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

Because you can still party with an injury?

Reply #168996 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Melvin - Big call to say the game was in the bag seeing as we were never even in the lead in the last 1/4?

Reply #168999 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Hmm this sounds familiar - Voldermort pumps up Gerlach saying he is going to get big court time, and gives him nothing.

Two seasons ago he was saying the same about Gower, and he didn't hit the court either.

Why do you do this Voldermort? All it does is demoralise your own players.

Reply #169005 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Have to agree with almost everyone here. The coach seems to have in mind those he wants to be on court when we win,(whether or not they can, i.e. Cooper) with no concern for someone actually doing the job (i.e. Julius) That was a REALLY RIDICULOUS SUB. When you have good effective group on and a player on a roll with a really hot hand, able to breach the opposition defence and create a foul along the way, why would you take him off. He certainly didn't look injured to me and I'm sure he was able to indicate to the coach if he was. NOT HAPPY P...

Reply #169008 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

By the way great effort by Dodman who created quite a bit of angst for Anstey. Would have liked to see something of Gerlach he looked good in the warm up. Also has a bit more height and weight.

Reply #169010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bozza; it happened to blake trustlove as well.

Reply #169017 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Subbing Hodge in that last quarter was terrible. He was aggressive and got us back in the game. I scratched my head wondering why he was subbed for the efforts. A bad coaching move that cost us the game.

I was also disappointed that Burdon didn't receive extra minutes. He played well in his short stint, but deserved more.

I was surprised that Suts didn't get throw in. He's finished and deserved to remain on the bench.

Get rid of the coach please, let's get a new voice. He's lost the plot.

Reply #169021 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A lot of emphasis on the subs in the fourth could be taking away from what was a great performance from the team to even make a game of it last night. Yes, frustrating and yes, doesn't help on the ladder, but well played regardless.

Reply #169022 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I didn't see the game so only have to go by what I have heard on here. I must say, subbing Hodge off for two minutes at that time does not seem to be the worlds worst crime. I assume the idea was to freshen him up for a final 5 minute assault. Sometimes you really have to trust your personnel enough to allow a player to come off the court. Had Hodge played all of the 4th to that time?

Other than that, agree with Isaac's sentiments. Nice reading some positive reports of a game that unfortunately ended in a loss. I for one had written them off based on their performances this week, so good on the team for having a red hot shot at it. Really, that is all I ask of a team I support.

Reply #169028 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Tigers still would of won even if the subs were 'right'.

Did anyone else notice that Dave Barlow hit 21 3's in a row during the shoot around approx. 45 mins before the game?

Reply #169031 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I also was shocked when Hodge got subbed out in the 4th after dominating for the last few minutes and bringing us back into the game, but other than that i think it was a good effort by coach and the team. Seriously i expected to lose by more than 5 and the tigers to have a easier win than that, so to play that well and do it without maher and giving decent minutes to a young guy in Dodman was quite impressive in my opinion. I agree with Botys comment if they played that well consistantly all season we would be in the top 8, not having injuries would also have hepled.

Reply #169040 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

could it be a possibility that voldemort bets on 36ers games or does nbl tipping... giving his questionable subs in the last few games it wouldnt surprise me

Reply #169045 | Report this post

andy jay  
Years ago

Im thinking that the game was lost in the first half where we played an inadequate zone defence allowing them easy passes through to base line cutters as well as plenty of free outside shots. The melb side all seemed to shoot well from distance while we only had Ng shooting well from range. This is an ongoing problem for us it seems, as most other sides generally shoot better than us from range. Free throws once again an issue. What do these guys do at training? I can remember when training that to miss a shot was an automatic two laps of the court! Whilst I certainly question many of the coaching decisions, it must be hard to work out combinations with a side that is very talented to great depth, but extremely hot and cold in terms of consistancy.
Some of the current players would respond extremely well to a development programme but sadly will probably have to leave or be pushed out to get it. Jacob Holmes a great example. Sitting in the lower tier we coud all groan when he put up his shots with a flat shooting technique and low percentage results. New club, improved technique and he's getting scores.
We have lost a bit of talent in that way and I do believe that is a problem to be addressed.
Andy

Reply #169048 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boom Patrol, pretty low to suggest that IMO unless you're joking. Was probably just trying to keep Hodge fresh and bringing in the players he thought would be best for the situation. Possibly mistakes in hindsight (given that Hodge scored our first 12 in the first quarter - could he have run the full term without a sub?), but wouldn't be malicious.

Doesn't Breheny call the subs anyway?

Reply #169049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I know is Hodge was subbed off and Melbourne, thanks largely to Barlow who Hodge somewhat guards went on an 8-2 tear - how much did we lose by? I think the people on here arent complaining that Hodge was subbed off, more so the timing of the sub?! Nowhere near the best decision IMO, should have called a time out and given all the players a rest if anything!

Reply #169051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I and all those around me also couldn't believe the subs in the last quarter. Cooper didn't really do anything all night. Would the reason we don't shoot as well outside as other teams be because they put more intimidating defence on our shot than we do on theirs?? I also find it frustrating that we continually give up a baseline drive to the opposition for them to score, yet our players are more often than not bumped on those drives. It also seemed that Tigers got a lot of scores from tip ins, and not always because they were bigger, but because we didn't put a body on them when the shot was up to keep them away from the basket (or don't we do that in the NBL??)

Reply #169054 | Report this post

Rarney Bubble  
Years ago

I'm sure he would have been criticised for calling a time out too and stopping the momentum. The only option was to leave Hodge on - which also would have been a gamble as it's likely he would have needed a break at some stage in the last. Had he left him on and Hodge had struggled or gave up a couple of points to his man then everyone would still blame PS for leaving him on too long.

Without having seen the game its hard to say exactly - I know PS likes to be fairly regimented with his subbing (which can be a bit annoying at times) - but maybe Hodge could've been left on for a couple of more minutes to see if he could keep the momentum (and crowd) going.

Reply #169057 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea the tigers did get a few tip ins ay, lampley got a few from memory, definatly have to fix that if we wanna win games like that.
I was just thinking how much differently the season would have gone if Newley hadnt of gone to Europe and stayed.
I reckon the 36ers would be in the top 6-8 atleast an we wouldnt be calling for Phils head, not making excuses, but maybe our expectations were a little high, like Mottram in for Newley is a huge downgrade and Chappell didnt work out as planned and that also isnt really Phils fault, have we expected too much from this 36ers team?? i think they should be in the 8, but prob not much higher though. I reckon only 3 of our starters would start on say a kings or tigers team being Maher, Hodge, Ballinger,maybe Davidson i guess but the rest wouldnt, and since Maher has missed a few games and Hodge has only just got here we have sort of been playing with 2.5-3 starting quality players, which again isnt really Phils fault. Sure some subs seem odd like the Hodge one last night, and they should have beaten the Gold Coast earlier this year when we had that big lead but yea what would people realistacly expect from this team?? even if we had any other coach??? is it really all Phils fault?? not trying to make excuses just a few thoughts and interested to hear others opinions, and like how much better would we be if we had any other coach??? I guess if we had signed/kept guys like Ingles and Holmes we may have a bit more talent, which phil would have had a part in, but did those guys not come here because of Phil?? or did other clubs management and coaches just do a better job of recruiting and offer more things like money and stuff to these guys that was too good to pass up??

Reply #169062 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Without too much thought, 1 reason why phil is to blame...16 weeks to get rid of chappell.

If we had hodge after 6 weeks..could be a different picture.

Reply #169064 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

very true, i think Phil would have made the change one or 2 games earlier though, given pace was mentioned by that time in the media a few games before Chappell was officially cut, but yea that did cost us, maybe Phil should of scouted fresh imports more at the start of the season and gone for a fresh face like Hodge at the star, but at the time Chappell wasnt considered a bad signing

Reply #169065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we lost to wollongong. they had one import, lost a starting guard for the season, and were running tragardh, rigby and davidson as their big men and we couldn't beat that. something major is wrong when that happens.

Reply #169068 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Statman - don't think it was a big call. Was a dumb decision, and we would've won if it hadnt been made. He tried to sub him back on after less than a minute - but because no one fouled etc, was three minutes before he returned.
If his break was less than a minute, then it was unnecessary. As stated by someone else - use a timeout if guys need a quick breather.

Reply #169081 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"22 - I had a friend come to her FIRST ever game this year. Didn't know ANYTHING about basketball, yet by the second quarter, she was questioning what Phil was doing - THAT"s how obvious it is that he is doing things WRONG !!!!"

"and considering how many changes and how proactive he was for the first 3 quarters I'm even more disappointed - as he CAN do the job properly, he's just CHOOSING not to. "

geez melvin those statements being both from you seem to kinda contradict yourself.

Reply #169083 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Jonno 169062...ditto!!!!

Reply #169089 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Melvin - just so I have this clear...

Your saying that even though the Sixers were never in the lead in the last 1/4 - and were playing against the team sitting 2nd on the ladder - that had the substitutions in question not been made we would definately have won the game?

Ill stand by my previous statement that that is indeed a very big call by you.

Reply #169094 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

As much as I hate to say it - yesterday most, including myself, were predicting a massive blow out like the Bullets game.

But still, Voldermort, it is time to go.

Reply #169098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the issue - that they could've won, or that they "definitely" would have won?

Reply #169104 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Skud - Not contradictory at all. What i'm saying is that most of the time this year, Coach has been "going thru the motions" and making some rather unusual decisions and poor strategies (that even first timers were noticing).

Last night was the first time in a LONG time that Coach was proactive. He showed real spark and initiative and a desire to mix things up (putting in Dodman, running three bigs, using Eze ...). The fact that he did it for the first three quarters last night shows that he CAN do the job when he has his "head in the game" .. but he HASN'T for virtually every game this season !! What's the reason for it? is he distracted by something, or does he not care ?

Reply #169117 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

oh, i see what you mean Skud - the friend who came along was at an game earlier in the season, not last night's game ..

Reply #169125 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

Melvin I have to agree with you,as this was exactly what I was thinking as I left the dome last night,why did Phil take Hodge off when he did, I dont think he knows the meaning of the word momemtum.Yeah we still may have lost but heck we also could of won it.It took the crowd factor away also players coming of the bench have to re-adjust to the tempo of the game and another thing I didnt like the plays ran with less than two minutes remaining sorry Phil you just F*#k up sport...

Reply #169126 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

the issues for mine is that they were not given the best chance for them to win with that sub, they may still have come up short but with hodge in considering what he had done we had a better chance with him on the floor.

Reply #169145 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

it really grinds my gears

Reply #169161 | Report this post

huggienet  
Years ago

IMO the subs in the 4th are not the issue

i thought the guys played a great game and thought we were in for a beating...yes, the subs in the 4th were questionable but we were at one point only down by 2

at this level all it takes is 1 or 2 moments/decisions to cost a side the game.

there was a moment at the game that really bothered me and after checking the play by play on nbl.com this is the moment....

00:38 : 36ers [8] D.Ng - foul 107 109

i am not saying that it is Ng's fault as i was at the game and thought the foul was very soft but this call is what may have cost us the game ....

i would think that "at this point" (down by 2) you would force the tigers to play out their 24 sec (no fouls, token D until in the half) and force them to beat you from the floor not from the foul line

from memory there was a timeout just beforehand and maybe someone who was listening to radio can tell me if the above scenario was talked about... at all

anyway that is my opinion and as stated above i think we all thought we were in for a beating and reckon the guys played a great game. IMO if 1-2 calls went the other way we may have been in a totally different position.......

Reply #169175 | Report this post

huggienet  
Years ago

would think that "at this point" (down by 2) you would force the tigers to play out their 24 sec (no fouls, token D until in the half) and force them to beat you from the floor not from the foul line

then "if" we get the stop we have 1 shot to win the game

and yes i know i have lots of opinions :-)

Reply #169179 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

"the issues for mine is that they were not given the best chance for them to win with that sub ... "

Well said - and THAT's why Phil should be given the boot.

Reply #169210 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Huggienet, that is exactly the point in the game that I thought we had lost it. I could not understand why Ng would have risked a foul at that point. That error, if indeed it was one, was more the deciding factor in the game than any disputable subs made. Confidence in winning that game flew right out the door at the point.

Reply #169361 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754