Anonymous
Years ago

What's holding back Axel Dench?

Watching Dench play this season, it seems like there is something holding him back from becoming a standout NBL player. He has talent but something is stopping him from producing consitantly at this level.

Am I just naive or can he take it to the next level?

Topic #14374 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

Umm - he was a boomer. He used to have a game. Maybe he needs get together with Motts and go look for it!

Reply #169132 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

maybe a coach who could coach bigs

Reply #169133 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Maybe a coach who could instill confidence in him

Reply #169136 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Team hasn't been consistent AT ALL this year as a whole. Axel game reflects that. 13 and 13 was what we have needed from him all season, of course with adequate court time and proper 5-7min stints on court comes stats. Very hard to get ANY flow going when you have 2minutes at a time to prove your worth. I would've thought a coach who has played at th highest level would realize this.

Reply #169137 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

I don't actually think Smyth has made a mistake with Dench. The team really looks a lot worse at both ends with him out there. He was given ample opportunity early on in the season and stunk it up. He has really only had a couple of good games but he is just too soft and will never be a top player. Its clear to see why the Tigers dropped him.

Reply #169149 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

I don't actually think Voldemort (damn U!) has made a mistake with Dench. The team really looks a lot worse at both ends with him out there. He was given ample opportunity early on in the season and stunk it up. He has really only had a couple of good games but he is just too soft and will never be a top player. Its clear to see why the Tigers dropped him.

Reply #169151 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

Team hasn't been consistent AT ALL this year as a whole. Axel game reflects that. 13 and 13 was what we have needed from him all season, of course with adequate court time and proper 5-7min stints on court comes stats. Very hard to get ANY flow going when you have 2minutes at a time to prove your worth. I would've thought a coach who has played at th highest level would realize this.

Totally agree Kobe!

Reply #169167 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ask yourself the question - Would you have Dench back next season under a different coach? If the answer is no, then don't blame the coach.

Reply #169174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who hired him?

Reply #169183 | Report this post

LJ  
Years ago

But wasn't it the coach who picked Dench up?

Reply #169185 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

His lack of defence and inside game

Reply #169200 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think dench is a ok player, and dont mind having him, i think he is a guy who needs good consistant minutes say 15-20 mins agame, say 5 mins a quater to get into rhythm and confidence to do well aswell as a clearly defined role. I think he has struggled a little this season as some games he is gettting like 5 mins others getting 25 mins, hard to find consistancy. games like his 13 n 13 effort against the tigers shows he can play and is worthy of 20 mins agame in my opinion. he is a bit different to Motts and Cooper but i dont think he is really any worse, they are all sort of back up 20 min per game centres

Reply #169203 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd rather not have Dench in our team. I personally think he's too soft. I'd rather have a tough nut who can get physical and bang bodies. It would compliment 'Balls' if he stays and take some pressure off him. He needs another physical enforcer.

Reply #169212 | Report this post

Years ago

Dench plays like a point Guard in a Centre Body

Reply #169328 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

I was over dench when I saw the below play way back, he was isolaed down low 1 on 1 against BJ carter I think or someone of similar size and he settled for a 10 foot fade away on the baseline(his signature move)and kinda got blocked. That should have been a strong move to the basket and a dunk on his head. A 7 footer that i have never seen dunk on someone or even in traffic to me says he is not agressive enough and doesnt cut it at that level. His rebounding is woefull normally but its more his lack of enthusiam/body language thats lack most of the time. If only he had the heart and agressiveness of davidson then he would be a monster. Its sad as the bloke has the talent and is a nice guy but its hard to see his career go anywhere now as hes no spring chicken.

Reply #169353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754