Anonymous
Years ago

Headlines for Coach's departure?

In case this is the Coach's last hurrah with the 36ers, what headline would you like to see in the newspaper making this news public?

"The General has been discharged"

Topic #14376 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

Coach no-show to game. Noone notices.

Reply #169148 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

36ers to hire first real Coach in a decade.

Reply #169157 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

"Coach" joins comedy club with HOOPSA hacks.

Reply #169162 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Best Wishes Phil for life after the 36ers.

Reply #169173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dont let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.."

Reply #169182 | Report this post

Flinders 93  
Years ago

"There Star General General targets new enemy: Retirement"

Reply #169188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give the man some respect, he is still a legend of the game and has achieved a lot more than all you guys would in a lifetime. I agree he should leave at the end of the season but he should be thanked (remember he did win 3 championships) not treated like he is at the moment by you guys who have nothing better to do than to sit in front of your computer all day and bag him.

Reply #169190 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

ANON (#169190), how do WE know YOU don't sit in front of the puter all day?

Reply #169195 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

You guys suck. (I don't believe I'm defending him).

This is a guy that coached YOUR club to 3 championships. You can debate whether he had much "coaching" input all you like, but if he's going to be blamed as coach NOW, he has to get the credit as coach BEFORE.

Yes, he's got rusty and his methods are out of date, but Jesus guys, you'd eat your own children.

Show some respect.

You should applaud him on the way out, with dignity. As much as you have not enjoyed the last couple of seasons, you HAVE to give credit where it's due.
If you think he doesn't love the 6ers as a club and hasn't done the best he's capable of in the years he's been there, then you are complete idiots.

- I don't like you as a coach, Phil. Unlike these guys, though...I never have. My spots aren't changing.

- I like you as a person

- I applaud your achievements

- and I wish you absolutely all the best.

Reply #169201 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I respect Phil and admire him for his achievements. He's been a great coach, won titles, filled the arena and one of the best aussie guards. It's just been a bad run in the last 2-3 seasons. Now it's time for him to move on. However I still applaud and thank him for his efforts throughout the decade.

Reply #169211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to see all these people that constantly bag Phil, to actually tell him to his face, instead of hiding behind a computer screen. Just remember apart from this season what he has had to work with last couple seasons as far a money etc to get a decent team on the court has been tough. During the process of the team getting sold etc I dont think any other coach would've done a better job than Phil with the players and resouces he had available.
Good luck Phil, you have made the 36er's franchise one of the most successfull in NBL history, and all of us should be saying thanks for a wonderful career, and not judging you on a couple of bad seasons.

Reply #169216 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd tell him to his face. Bring it on.
I've written to him a few times asking him to step down. I'm willing to tell him in person that the time has come.

If we ignore his coaching for a minute. I could be friendly with him, chat about non-basketball related issues. We could definitely have a laugh together like we see him do on the news.

Reply #169219 | Report this post

PharSmarthe  
Years ago

Dicko, good post. He is a champion and despite our ill feelings we should do the right thing and send him off on a good note. Always best to leave and let them go on good terms.

On the other hand.

Remember, how they got success in the past, through they did it by breaking the salary cap. The 6ers, whilst Vodldemort was getting his success, almost sent basketball in SA broke. Not saying its Phils fault, not saying he isnt a champion but he did screw over a number of individual people in his time here, but more importantly was involved when basketball got screwed over.

Reply #169240 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Just for your interest.

Although it's pretty common knowledge.....The 6ers management have not yet sat down and TOLD him that his contract won't be renewed. Even thought they are looking at potential new coaches.

Someone is being a bit gutless.

Reply #169260 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good points ( pharsmatha) We dont need to be cruel but we dont need to forget that through the slide on and off the court financially etc Phil has been one of the highest paid coaches in N B L and we have spent our salary caps. It has been pure laziness to put in the work or research that has hurt us the most.
I wish him well but not in Adelaide whether basketball or media.
Our club is nearly on its knees, changes have to happen before we have Hawks type problems.
Are we talking to these coaches mentioned for Dragons or making a neat end to coaches time and evaluating what we need before it is too late for coaches and plyrs.

Reply #169261 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Back to the subject heading, I think

"Honourable Discharge for the General"

"Sixers Had Their Phil of Smyth"

Reply #169270 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Damn it, thought I'd get it through......

Back to original heading of this post

"Honourable Discharge for The General"

"Sixers Had Their *Fill* of *Smith*"

Reply #169271 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I would be sorry to see him replaced by someone who doesn't get as much as he does out of the players he has had. I await with interest all of his 'knockers' comments if/when a different coach doesn't succeed.

Reply #169272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I would be sorry to see him replaced by someone who doesn't get as much as he does out of the players he has had. "

Dana, Dana, Dana.....

Reply #169281 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Dana Dana Dana Dana

Reply #169302 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

bretts the man- second , third and quarter that motion.

Reply #169304 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana dana dana dana Batman.

Guys, what's the problem with: "I would be sorry to see him replaced by someone who doesn't get as much as he does out of the players he has had." ?

Wouldn't everyone be disappointed if a possible replacement didn't get as much out of players?

Reply #169313 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Don't you go coming in here and messing us around with that making sense nonsense.

You KNOW it's not welcome!

Reply #169315 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Anyway - back to the headlines...

"Hemmerling orders Code Red on General."
or
"Fans Can't Handle The Truth. General Discharged"

Reply #169325 | Report this post

JRay  
Years ago

Sorry Dicko, I cannot agree. He has raped and pillaged this once great club and will leave it a basket case. Raped and pillaged it for his own gain with no thought for the future. He is lazy as a coach, deceptive, conniving, manipulates the media and bullshits the public. These are not attributes I associate with a 'great' of the club. Great player yes, as a coach he finally got found out. Good bye.

Reply #169350 | Report this post

JRay  
Years ago

Oh, and for a headline:
Sixers Basketball....'Generally' Disappointed!

Reply #169351 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754