Anonymous
Years ago

volde vs vildcats 'they cost us half million'

found this on ozhoopsboards.com

Video of news report

(Mod: Since it might not be immediately clear unless you watch the video, this is regarding the Wildcats' $20,000 fine for suiting Mike Homik accidentally for three games.)

"Ch10 news has said it was Adelaide that dobbed the cats in regarding this issue.

Also Phil Sm*th has demanded the Cats be stripped of 3 wins that the cats were guilty of this offence. He said it may cost the 36ers like $500k at the end of the year and also if there are rules why not enforce them.

Fish has said that Sm*th is under pressure and it is funny that he has brought this up way after the fact and it was a management problem that caused this issue."

(Mod: Link fixed.)

Topic #14377 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow, channel ten stole that interview straight off the fox sports news report?

classy.

Reply #169155 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Saw that on 10 News tonight, couldn't believe it, sure, they broke the rules, but they didn't gain any advantage from it and IMO stripping of points would have been excessive. For an opposition coach to come out in the media and whinge how it's unfairly effecting his club makes the whole organisation look childish and ridiculous.

Reply #169156 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

agree with phill. his finally sticking up for himself.

Reply #169163 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Phil Smith has gone from a relaxed, easy-going, likeable coach to a grumble bum, almost overnight. Yes he's right, but it's a bit late to bring this up now and the fact remains - it didn't affect the result. Whilst I agree with him, something is definitely not right with the most successful coach in 36ers' history. Will be a shame for him to bow out without class and distinction.

Reply #169169 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Moses, you would be a grumble bum too if you lost half a million dollars. Not sure how that comes about, but certainly nothing to be happy about. Besides, why should Phil sit back and do nothing about it when there is a clear breach of the rules. Do you agree with adopting the attitude of see nothing, hear nothing, know nothing. I doubt very much that the attitude would be different if the 36ers were up the top of the ladder. It has nothing to do with struggling this season. Good on Phil for making a song and dance about it. As for the Wildcats' explanation of it being a management error, do you really buy that? How long have the Wildcats been in the league to fully understand the rules? If you want to have a dig at Phil's attitude, do so but also back it up acknowledging the Wildcat's discretion.

The film clip also shows the dancers up close to the player's huddle. You cannot always control the fan's behaviour at games, but this was also a management or admin initiative and it stinks of poor taste and unsportsmanlike. The Wilodcats have behaved dirty, why turn a blind eye to it?

Reply #169172 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Melbourne was stripped of a win years ago when they prematurley suited Bradtke against the sixers before he had clearance.

If they suited players illegally then they should not get the win, simple in my book.

Reply #169176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the rules about players outside of the 10 are a bit vague and so it doesn't surprise me that a club has messed up. Teams should be encouraging Perth to play Mike Homik, not penalising them! ;)

Stripping points would be overkill IMO and a fine is enough.

Not sure where the $500,000 bit comes into it. Perth losing 3 points and Adelaide getting 1 (I assume it would be) would have the sides even, and then Perth has the split 2-1 anyway? Even then, should Adelaide have made the post-season by winning further games (two more at least), to get a home final and get any money from that would've taken winning two elimination games on the road first? That must be what he's talking about because a dent in crowds for a couple of games isn't going to add up to $500k. The Wollongong and Brisbane results plus the Perth game at the Dome had more of an impact on crowds than anything I think.

Edit: Couple of posts on OzHoops suggest that by precedent, Adelaide wouldn't have been awarded that point. Perth would just be stripped of the wins. That'd leave Adelaide at 10-15 and still needing to win games to make it.

Reply #169178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is AND1 still a sponsor for the 6ers?

Reply #169180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC - it has everything to do with struggling this season.

It is called "clutching at straws" by a man who is at the end of the line.

Reply #169184 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

No Anonymous its called breaking the rules, plain and simple. Im positive if you were in Phil's shoes you would have a similar opinion... or i'd hope you would.

Reply #169187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would but I would bring it up at the time in a professional manner, not whinge about it when it has become obvious that my team isnt going to make the play-offs and that I am going to lose my job.

Reply #169189 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Sorry, but i'm backing Voldemort on this.

Regardless of win/loss record, the rules have been broken and their needs to be some penalty.

Reply #169194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was. $20,000 fine is probably the biggest fine in years!!

Reply #169202 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone asked me to make this up:

"$500,000 dollars!"

Reply #169205 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hehehe love it Isaac,

I am actually taking voldemorts side on this, these guys broke the rules and they have been "let off" with a fine, because the league were also at fault in not noticing and correcting it.

I wouldnt want to win a game this way, however, would peoples thoughts have changed if it had been rogers or another player who had high impact in the game.

the rules should stand either way, if you field and illeagal player, the punishemnt should be consistent.

It may well have cost the 36ers a lot of money and that is unjust.

Reply #169206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how has it really cost adelaide money though????

Reply #169208 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Adelaide always gets ripped off by the League. I agree with the coach on this one. Rules clearly have been broken and the League has been gutless to enforce them.

However I don't understand the $500k comment and I don't think the stripping of points would have made a difference in the 36ers season.

Reply #169209 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the issue may be that the league is apparently saying that they are partly responsible for not picking it up sooner and not having clearer rules about the extra rostered players?

Reply #169214 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Good to hear the League admit some responsbility for the mistake. But still rules are made, they should be enforced.

Reply #169221 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Anon 169208 - It costs Sixers money is lost revenue through possibly playing finals. Additional game revenue, sponsorship etc etc. Plus fans may be more likely to purchase season tickets next season if they made finals this year. Almost impossible to put an exact figure on it....Isaac or somebody in admin may have a better idea?

Reply #169224 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

me, I think it is relevant that the 11th player was a deep benchie who had little impact, if they'd incorrectly played a Rogers or someone my thoughts would certainly be different. His inclusion in the game didn't effect the result (like when the Tigers played Bradtke) and while it was a cock up a think a relatively massive fine is sufficient punishment.

Reply #169225 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

5000 fans * $20 ticket (accounting for some costs) = $100k or so per finals game.

Worth remembering that they'd need to get through two elimination road games to get a home final from 7th or 8th position.

Like I said, strip 3 from the Cats and they have 11 wins and a comparably easier run home:

@ Bullets Fri, Jan 25
@ Blaze Sat, Jan 26
@ Breakers Thu, Jan 31
vs. Kings Sat, Feb 2
vs. Razorbacks Wed, Feb 6
@ Blaze Wed, Feb 13
vs. Breakers Sat, Feb 16

Even if precedent was broken (e.g., Tigers' opponent in that Bradtke screw-up didn't get the win) and Adelaide was given one of those results, we're still 11-14 and have a tough run home with just a season series over the Breakers (who are 13-12 and would be two games clear).

Though Adelaide are right to pull the Cats up with the NBL for the roster rule, it's another subjective decision for the league. Holding on to Chappell probably has had a greater impact on the season IMO.

Reply #169236 | Report this post

Baby Shrek  
Years ago

C'mon people put the shoe on the other foot, if we had've suited an 11th player, say Breheny, he didn't play or contribute etc etc how we would we feel if we were wiped points off our season?

Its not like they got Longley out to play.

Baldemort to say we lost the season due to this is yet another smoke & mirrors excuse for his poor performance.... which has been reguarly dished to us thru every losing season.....

the (500K) buck rests firmly at Baldemort's feet...

He is the only person responsible for the loss of half a million.

Reply #169239 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

C'mon people put the shoe on the other foot, if we had've suited an 11th player, say Breheny, he didn't play or contribute etc etc how we would we feel if we were wiped points off our season?
I think it's fair to say that this forum, Boti, and all 36ers fans would have gone thoroughly nuts!

Reply #169241 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, exactly right. We should be looking at what is in our control, not beyond it.

Reply #169243 | Report this post

JRay  
Years ago

Hmmm, wonder if 'Mort' will give back the championships then when they cheated the salary cap!
You simply can't have it both ways my friend.
Events are in motion which you cannot stop.

Reply #169347 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hate to state the obvious, it wasn't Adelaide that was in breach of the rules. A little hypothetical to suggest what would have happened if the situation was reversed.

Squid, if the NBL listened to Phil's concern, he may very well have been in control.

Reply #169358 | Report this post

Da Truth Ruth  
Years ago

JRay ....

took some time...

But yes you nailed it boy...

Baldemort is more than happy to rort the NBL....

But when a "chunky never used 11th player with his family in the stands gets to wave at his rellies" training bait gets to suit up...

You go Baldistic!!

You rorted the cap when you won 3 titles...

Suffer in your jocks...

Reply #169368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

of course its hypothetical. its a fair question. how would we feel if the situation was flipped. very pissed to lose points i bet. i know i would be furious!!

Reply #169375 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754