spewing
Years ago

That shove on Laura Summerton

That was a bigger get away than the state bank fiasco - the last second shove on laura - i need counselling to get over that.

Spewing..... !

Topic #1442 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Were you really surprised the way Filmer and Rorlach called that game?

It was some of the most atrocious reffing I have ever seen in a WNBL game.

Calling some of the softest ticky touch fouls, and then letting Porter throw more elbows than a plumbers apprentice, and then when Flanagan literally mugged Summerton right at the end to force the turnover (I would love Andrew to explain how it was a no call, it certainly wasnt due to advantage), well that explained it.

In fact the way the refs handled the Lightnings request (quite rightfully) to put a second back on the clock if they were going to count the last basket...it just wasn't a good night for the 2 in grey.

Reply #16517 | Report this post

spewing  
Years ago

I say nothing - watch it on 2 and see it for yourself

Reply #16519 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

It seems that the refs changed the way they were calling fouls halfway into the game.

I personally hate this as the players are called for cheap fouls or they start getting away with elbows.

Set the precedence at the start of the game and stick with it fellas

Reply #16521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG Did yogee just criticise refs?!? Someone call a shrink!

Reply #16540 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yes I criticised the refs, I have always said, if they do a bad job, I will have a say.

And they did worse than a bad job last night, it was seriously horrible. How Rorlach can keep getting accredited to WNBL level is beyond me.

Reply #16541 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

So Yogee, if you think the refs do a bad job its ok for to have a go at them? If anyone else says something you have a go at them! double standards I think.

Reply #16542 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Who cares . . .

Back to the topic, did anyone else think it was a foul? Should Laura have been given a chance to win the game from the line?

After seeing it on TV today, I saw Flannagan clearly hit Laura's arm. Foul. 2 shots.

What ever happened to "home court advantage" anyway?? Unless they considered it Flannagan's home court!!!??

Reply #16543 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

No, I dont agree with having a go at them for the sake of having a go at them.

I have highlighted the area where I feel the obvious error has occurred.

Thats it.

And yeah deak, it was a more than obvious foul, and Laura should have been shooting 2. I just wish I had some way of asking Filmer why it was a no call, I would love to hear the explanation.

Reply #16544 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

So was it a shove or an arms foul now?

deak how many times does it have to be said that "home court advantage" does not mean that the refs have to favor the home team, or any team for that matter.

Seemed to me that Laura was off balance through her own desperation of trying to get the shot off.

If the lightning made more than half their free throws perhaps they would have won the game.

Reply #16547 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Umm, who said anything about it being an arms foul?

She was pushed in the act of shooting, but they were also in bonus anyway

Reply #16548 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

OMG try reading the thread to stop yourself looking so stupid.

Reply #16549 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Alf,
the "home court advantage" statement was meant to be taken in jest.

And, yes, The Lightning only have themselves to blame for the loss - missed FTs and poor shot selection cost them the game - not the ref.

Reply #16551 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

SOrry alf, I had read it 3 times before I posted, and I just saw the comment in deaks post.

Reply #16555 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

correct me if i'm wrong but Yogee don't you do stats for lightning?

isn't there a code of conduct that would preclude you from questioning or commenting or bringing fellow officials into disrepute.

besides i find it highly amusing the about face you have committed with this post you readily jump down any ones throat who dares to be even slightly critical of a referee yet you not only question a very senior referees call. you question how another referee can be accredited to that level.

Reply #16563 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Sorry, if you cant take the time to put a name to a post, I cant be bothered answering it.

Reply #16564 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

what a cop out

is yogee your real name if i sign it boo boo bear will you then answer

fess up it is against your code of conduct

Reply #16565 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

It's not a cop out.

If you havent got the balls to at least let me know who you are, when you seem to think you know who I am, well, your not worth the time.

Reply #16569 | Report this post

nothing  
Years ago

yogee, that's weak. you come down on anyone criticising referees even when they're asking a question that seemingly disputes a decision (can provide link to thread if required) or who have a reason for criticising them (a bad call as per this one). yet here is an example of you doing exactly the same thing. your criticism of this anonnymous person using an alias is little different to yours of the referees under an alias also. they've asked a fair question and you won't respond to it. why not??

Reply #16575 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee you have identified yourself on a number of occassions. You have stated you have been a member of the Lightning Stats bench in fact I think your words were I'll be on the computer. You have also made reference to give the Woodville Stats a little love and that you do stats for woodville.

I could identify myself as someone you know. But why is that an issue. I know there is a code of conduct that governs referee's, coaches, stats and scoretables, court announcers.

you know it too!
"Music Man may be able to correct me, but even the music guys, and court announc ers are bound by NBL rules in regards to making comments about the refs. Whilst most the time nothing would be done about it, I think a fine might be a bit heavy handed, a warning would have sufficed, but if he broke the rules, live with it, is my opinion.

Reply #16577 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Ok, I'll answer it here, and this will be the last I'll respond to the matter. Anyone else wants to discuss it, email me, personal attacks dont really need to be on this forum.

I was NOT at that game in any official capacity as far as a stats panel, or anything else goes.

I was there in a media capacity, and as a Lightning fan. That is why I was sitting in the media office, and not on the stats bench (but hey, we can let that slide I guess).

As far as a code of conduct goes, there may be one, if there is, I have never sighted one.

Obviously I have understated how many people take any notice of me, and as such I will have to modify certain things to suit.

I apologise for any inconvenience / embarrasment / hurt feelings any one has been caused.

Reply #16578 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

on the refereeing......i dont have any real problems with amy, but can someone explain to me how andrew filmer is umpiring wnbl, let alone nbl.....in my opinion and many of my abl collegues opinions, he is one of the worst referees at abl level....so inconsistent, and so unreasonable when you have a chat.
sack filmer i say!!!....the guy is a joke!!

Reply #16580 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

there is a code of conduct yogee and it covers you for when you don't do games as a stats/court announcer/scoretable/games controllers are all covered it doesn't matter on that particular game if you are not on the game.

yes people to take notice of what you say. and this has not be a personal attack just a pointing out that there is a code of conduct to be adhered too

Reply #16581 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

get over yourself anonymous.....no one cares.....dont take life so seriously.

Reply #16582 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

:)

Reply #16583 | Report this post

Nathan Durant  
Years ago

Yogee,
You had better hope I don't find out who you are! Criticise my wife like that again, and I will have to ensure in finding out who you are and possibly take legal action for your words about her ability to referee WNBL. Right or wrong on that call doesn't give you the right to voice your opinion on whether she is good enough for WNBL. An opinion like that should remain in your own head since it is insignificant, and can get you into a bit of trouble.

Reply #16631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Nathan you tell him. he had no right to say something like that. Lets just hope you find out who he is!

Reply #16633 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Yogee,

Re your comment "Anyone else wants to discuss it, email me, personal attacks dont really need to be on this forum."

So was your comment "And they did worse than a bad job last night, it was seriously horrible. How Rorlach can keep getting accredited to WNBL level is beyond me." a personal attack or what.

I refrain from commenting on refs because it most generally can only be in the negative though recently a great post was made by a visiting coach to M/vale praising the efforts of his game's ref.

Umpires make mistakes and have bad games but your comment is way out of line and over the top. The value of your future posts have now lost much credibility and I for one can save some time by ignoring your double standard posts.

Reply #16642 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

??? Well said 'The value of your future posts have now lost much credibility and I for one can save some time by ignoring your double standard posts'

but becareful he won't reply because you didn't use your right name.

and Nathan you'll be able to find yogee he has identified himself in the past as a stats person for lightning it will make Amy feel right at home working a game with someone who publicly stated what he did. great team work!!

and if not doing stats you'll find him in the media room

Reply #16646 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Obviously I need to repeat part of my post from above (#16578)

"Obviously I have understated how many people take any notice of me, and as such I will have to modify certain things to suit.

I apologise for any inconvenience / embarrasment / hurt feelings any one has been caused."

anonymously, you still want to try and stir the pot, without putting your naem to it, yet you claim there is no personal attack behind it. why do you need to go on with it if it's not a personal attack?

To ??? I also tend to be more a champion of refs than to criticise. I felt, at the time, truly aggrieved at the situation.

Unfortunately with hindsight, I could have aired those differently, if at all. Without having an edit function on the forum however, unfortunately those comments are there for good. I would not presume for a moment to ask Isaac to delete my post, just because I screwed up.

As I also said in my above post, I will have to adapt the way I do things, to be honest I never thought anyone took any notice of what I said / do. Now I know this to not be quite so correct, things will have to change.

Nathan, the apology that I posted above was meant to anyone. I can appreciate your anger at someone criticising your wife, I would be the same. I can only apologise again. Unfortunately some people have used my misguided post to perhaps enhance their own agendas, whatever they may be, and perhaps made a mountain out of a molehill.

I really dont think it needs dragging on. As I also said before...someone still wanats to discuss it, take it up with me at [email protected]. I dont think it needs to be played out on the forum.

Reply #16651 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Yogee,

OK. I couldn't resist reading your post and being the proverbial foot in mouth guy I can appreciate when you regret saying something.

My only other regret with this whole situation was that following Laura's push/stumble (?) I was not on the other side to catch her!!

Reply #16653 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

This is great. I haven't seen so much back-peddling sice I was rewinding a tape of the Tour de France....

Reply #16654 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Hehehe, there's a few guys (and perhaps girls) that would agree with you there :)

Reply #16655 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Yogee,

Its not the fact that everything you say we take notice of you, it was the fact that you bag the referees then have a go at other people who dare do the same. You also had a go at Anonymous for not using his real name, well i dont see your real name being used, or is Yogee your first name or surname.

Reply #16660 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

No, its not my name. Anyone who cared to take 2 seconds could easily find it out, and apparently most people know who I am anyway.

Definitely anonymous knows who I am, so he is willing to hide faceless behind not even a psuedonym, but behind a totally anonymous name, and feels free to bag me out.

And if you dont take notice of what I say, how come you notice when I protect the refs, but then when I have say about a bad performance?? If you didnt take note...well...I think I proved my point :)

I just think maybe some people take the forum a bit too seriously. All I can keep doing is apologising to those who may have been offended...I dont know what else I can do about the error I made.

Unfortunately, I am human. I make errors, just like everyone else (including refs). Just at least I have the wisdom and courage to admit to them, and apologise for them. And hopefully not make the same stupid mistake again.

I just wish people could let it go. I cant see what purpose we are going to serve by continuing this thread. Apart from making me look like a d**khead, which I manage to do all on my own on a pretty regular basis anyway. I thank you all for your help, but it isn't really needed :)

Reply #16666 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Yogee

"Apart from making me look like a d**khead, which I manage to do all on my own on a pretty regular basis anyway".

That is without doubt the most sensible thing you have ever posted, and I'm sure most others would agree.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reply #16670 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Lets get off the topic, I have never read so much bullshit. From what I have read, Yogee's posts have usually been fair and constructive so give the guy a break, he does not deserve all this petty sniping from you all for one comment.

Reply #16674 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

yeh i thought you were all babyish giving yogee crap. what he said wasn't even that bad. you'd be crazy to get offended by that.

Reply #16683 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Didn't offend me, just says one thing and says another opposite. Everyone has had their say so lets move on.

Reply #16684 | Report this post

montezuma  
Years ago

Maybee you should engage brain before posting Yogee...

It would prevent many others from venting their long pent up hatred for you...

Hope u understand the first sentence

Reply #16769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee, MW

The first and third highest posters.
Two things.

Quality is more important than quantity.

The empty can rattles the most.

Reply #16771 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I don't get the issue here - that yogee criticised refs or that he has in the past defended refs religiously.

I don't think it matters; would a general consensus of people at the game agree that the reffing sucked hard?

Reply #16792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754