tommy
Years ago

NBL Salary Cap - Marquee Player Rule

My proposal is to keep it as is at $810 000 but make that for 9 players with the 10th being a marquee player where he can be played as much as the club wants. This would improve league standard,crowd,promotions etc.

The league would be able to attract big name players from NBA etc and bring other players home (aka dave andersen).

I also think we should have a 12 team league. remove wollongong and razorbacks, but introduce a central coast team.

whats everyone think

Topic #14432 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

Which 'big name NBA players' would you be expecting? Players won't pass up the NBA for the NBL. As for Anderson, Neilsen, etc. there is no guarantee that they would pass up the higher quality leagues over there to come back home, either. And not only that, but I'd say one team (maybe two, much less likely 3 or 4) would be able to splash out enough cash to get any real big time players playing here.

It's a nice idea in principle, but when you also factor in that we have so many teams who are reportedly on shaky ground financially and who couldn't afford to bring in much more than what they have now, it would create an even bigger disparity in the league quality, with richer teams getting richer, poorer teams getting poorer.

Like I said, it would be nice to have, but until the league gets back on steady ground, I can't see it happening.

Reply #169969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This idea (marquee player outside of the cap) comes up on forums now and then. Some are for it, some against.

One problem with the cap is that some teams break it, some can't afford to. Allowing for a marquee player, would not address that at all. Teams that want a $300-400k player are already paying for them I'd guess.

It might, however, get a little bit of media attention. That is, if the Tigers don't just use their exception on Anstey.

I don't think any NBL club could afford Andersen to be honest.

Reply #169970 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

It would send most teams broke

Reply #170052 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

KC that is probably the only down side - the whole salary cap idea is only in to prevent rich clubs forcing poorer clubs bust. It hasn't really worked though, because we are still losing teams, it's just that the standard has dropped in the last 10 years.

What is the solution?

Reply #170056 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Im curious why you would get rid of Wollongong and Razorbacks and put in a team from Central Coast which has a far smaller population to draw from. We could call it the "Gosford Goiters".. That would win some FTA rights.

Reply #170093 | Report this post

Ole  
Years ago

The central coast has proved time and time again a death nell (as has anywhere north of Sydney in NSW) for any team (the Mariners being the exception - and that is only because they have done so well) The Razorbacks are having a great season considering how "young" they are - there is a huge population in Sydney and the sport has so much cred and cool factor for the kids. Personally I think the NBL and the clubs need to get together in Sydney and work out an aggressive campaign to grow the sport. It can be done!! If Townsville and Adelaide can do it a city of 3 million should be able to. Please no Sydney bashing. The City should have at least 2 teams.

Reply #170277 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

i like the idea, we could sign nick van exel! how awesome would van exel and hodge be together!!

Reply #170288 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

Tassy, Jakarta, Darwin, NZ all need teams.

Reply #171252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest the league is in shambles. i say start fresh like football Australia with the a-league. like one said its lost it credibility the standards have gone down. it might be the fact that the likes of mj magic and the dream team era has finished nba but needless to say basketball australia have to work something out before we lose more teams in major markets. nbl games used to be broad casted on the abc and network ten and ever since fox bought the rights the cover the games there has been a lost of exposure to the general viewing audience. your thoughts

Reply #192943 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:21 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754