Anonymous
Years ago

Youth Coaches - Need Incentives?

I am surprised at how many young coach's are coming through the system at the moment and I think it's something that the youth should be applauded for. I am of the opinion that many of these coach's should be given some kind of award for what their doing because most of them would be at school or uni and have better things to do than coach younger players for free. their are no incentives for young coach's and it is a shame. the only thing is the appearance of some as in some cases they dress like they are out on the town but their are many of which who do tuck their coach's top in and dont wear baseball caps while coaching. their are setting a fine example to our youth and should be praised.

Topic #14471 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go SIMON CROWDEN!

Reply #170435 | Report this post

HIH  
Years ago

Instead of praise they put up with crap parents that think they know how things should be done. I'm one of these youths that give up my time for ungrateful parents that couldn't give a dam.

My vent is over

Reply #170437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please collect your dummy from the front office.

Reply #170471 | Report this post

frangipani  
Years ago

It's great that they do it. Maybe clubs could authorise these youth coaches to do private tuition within the club, and let them make a buck out of it or at least cover their costs. Just a thought.

Reply #170491 | Report this post

max power  
Years ago

This was brought to a Anonymou club's committee where any current player coaching would have all their club fees covered, and if the coach was a parent they would have the fees of 1 childs basketball covered as an incentive. it was shot down by the committee as it would have meant an immediate reduction of about $7000 (20 teams) in income to the club. The club was already struggling to cover costs and keep up with the BSA debt.

I think is is a good idea so my opinions are biased but here are some pros & cons.

Pro:
1) Coaches feel some worth and value for their input
2) Club can hold the Coach accountable for actions and performance
3) Better Coaches may step forward to positions
4) Better coaches may bring players to the club (increased income?)

Con:
1) Parents who struggle financially may volunteer to save $$$
2) Loss of immediate income to the club
3) More work involved for junior coaching directors or development officers

Please give some more feedback...

Reply #170684 | Report this post

Ex Coach  
Years ago

I coached for 8 years with one club and progressed from U/10 through to U/16. Started off as just a parent who once played and loves the game. Never claimed to be a super-coach. My child left at U/14 but I stayed another 3 years. Did my level 1 and 2 and worked with some very good Div 1 coaches.

A point comes though where the problems within a club structure don't change for the better and other than a lot of talk, very little actually improves.

Too few people having far too much "power" within the club and no value placed on those that contibute.

Youth is one way to go and they should be encouraged. But looking after existing coaches may also be a good option and not place the younger coaches in the positions of having to deal with parents and players who often are not a lot younger.

Reply #170687 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Guess if the club is struggling finacially there's not much money to give to youth coaches.
I see Al Green out there , this morning coaching u16 div.2 Sometimes it's the incentive of loving the game.

Reply #170717 | Report this post

victorian  
Years ago

Camel

Don't think for a minute the person you mention does not get compensated in some form or other. Love only takes persona's so far

Reply #170759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come on guys, youth coach's can take just as much if not more than adult coach's. the reason why I say this is simple ...

as stated in the article many are in uni and school (and they usually fins some way or other to stress them selves out), they have family commitments (just like adults), they put up with parents (their own and others) and many struggle to keep theirs emotions separated and thus one aspect of their lives will affect them all.

Look at the Woodville Under 18 boys Div 3 coach Carlos. He has plenty of knowledge and has a great love for the game which radiates through to the players. now as a coach he is a tough boy... one could almost say he's a dictator on court yet he has the players respect. while dealing with parents i find that he's always polite and sincere. but he is a uni student, he has a girlfriend and on top of that he coach's other school teams and has been teaching another young girl how to coach at district level!

yet young coach's like himself who are putting an extreme amount to effort into the club are getting nothing! He didn't even get the team he originally wanted, but he's turned a negative into a major positive because when i go watch my daughter play we often see his game and they play a beautiful style of game which is fast and physical not dirty, and the kids love it and it's possible to see as their usually smiling from ear to ear during the game. (not to mention brings home the W most weeks). And as my daughter's found out he's asking for another team!

Now I know that he can't be the only coach like this, but really... the club should give him something at the very least hell even just give him some free merchandise, or plainly and simply a reduction on his playing fee's.

i know this has been long and I'm sorry but, I think it is a real shame to see a young coach give everything to a club and have the club do nothing but receive with not a thought on how draining it must be for these coach's

Reply #171069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank u Carlos

Reply #171079 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, a big thank you , Carlos for coaching and helping my son at school,St.clair and at woodville.

Reply #171089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we need to find low cost incentives for youth coach's because this thread is right not many youthful coach's would prefer using their knowledge for free when they can work at Maccas for money. Another thing is that yes youth coach's are awesome but are they quality? I've yet to meet a youth coach with knowledge of the game and also has the charm and charisma to deal with parents. so the clubs should be looking at developing those aspects as well.

Reply #171312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if the clubs were to run training camps each year and have their youth coach's run them. would this work?
I think it would as on one hand if each player was to pay a $30 fee for the camp and the club split the money between coach's and club then it's a bit of money, and on the other hand, it gives the young coach's some more exposure within the club. Not to mention if their is a senior coach around then they can work with the young coach's to perfect some things which may not be quite right.
would this work?

Reply #171529 | Report this post

solo  
Years ago

i think it would work but which club values their young coach's enough to do this i mean, usually to clubs coach's are the last rpiority and dont realise that unless they have good coach's they wont have good development of players.

Reply #171984 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

How does Carlos find time for his NBA career?

Reply #172017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West sure don't care about their coach's. I saw an old guy on a walking stick yell at a young coach late last yr in front of parents and all.

Hangin around, grow up. thier has to be more than just one carlos in south australia let alone the fact that last time i checked their are at least 2 carlos' in the NBA. but pfft if u want to be an idiot then go for it.

Reply #172055 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

172055.(Is that you Carlos?) You have shamed me.
There is only 1 NBA Carlos and you know who we're talking about.
Pfft??? Was that your ego going down, or did you fart?

Reply #172066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No! i was just trying to make a point. i don't even know the person. oh and theirs more than one Carlos in the NBA. their are in fact 3.

Carlos Arroyo
Carlos Boozer
Carlos Delfino

check it out:
http://www.nba.com/players/

Reply #172123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey I'm Carlos!

Reply #172203 | Report this post

Natalia  
Years ago

is it possible to pay coach's at least petrol money? What's Carlos got to do with incentives for youth coaches? please stay on topic.

Reply #172429 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Natalia-- with all of the "bling" that NBA Carlos wears, you would think he was a rich service station owner. He may be able to offer all coaches some discount fuel. So you see, we are still on track.

Coaches do have to put up with the team/club hassles, but they take on the role because they enjoy it and want to put something back into the game. In the hectic world we live in, finding the time is a big negative.

Reply #172436 | Report this post

Jess  
Years ago

OMG thank God it wasn't the Carlos I was thinking of I mean the Carlos I was thinking of dress's quite well while coaching and doesn't have hardly any bling, just a small gold cross.

Yes coaching is done for the fun of it but if u want to be good you got to keep up with the evolution of the game which can be tricky at times. most successful coach's have done this well hence the win loss ratio and that usually means more time away from training's and games studying coaching manuals and studying their own team weather it be game tape or statistics. Now young coach's who want to get all the way can't do this simply because they can't afford to.

Reply #172533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754