TR
Years ago

Big NBA Trade: Gasol is a Laker

This puts the Lakers into serious contender status...

The Grizzlies have traded Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers for center Kwame Brown, rookie guard Javaris Crittenton and first-round draft picks in 2008 and 2010.

Lakers News

(Mod: Fixed link.)

Topic #14472 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Here is another link:

Fixed Link

(Mod: Fixed this one too.)

Starting 5 of:

Fisher
Kobe
Odom
Gasol
Bynum

is a contender...

Memphis are also believed to have also trade Stromile Swift to the Nets for Collins.... Is the Griz GM (Chris Wallace) trying to get fired. First gave away Gasol for nothing and then traded for the one of the worst players in the NBA.

Reply #170444 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Mitch Kupchak has finally been on the ball regarding trades this year. We traded for Ariza, who played very well until getting injured, but once he's back, he will provide solid D and can get to the basket.

As for Gasol, the Lakers have always lacked a strong power forward for the last few years. Now they have that player in Pau Gasol. Gasol and Bynum can take the blocks while dishing it out to Kobe and Fisher for the 3.

He will also take a big man, allowing Bynum to get mismatches easier. OR, if the big man goes on Bynum Gasol will have a field day.

Reply #170445 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Everyone is hating on what Memphis have done, but what they've done is actually very smart. They shift Pau's 50mil contract and get Kwame's expiring along with Crit's minimum wage.

Memphis are in a rebuilding stage, around Conley, Gay etc, which is why they took the two 1st rounders as well. I think Memphis are going through the style of rebuild Portland did - draft young guys and build around them.

Reply #170451 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I understand that Biz, but when you look at what Chicago was offering (Ben Gordon who is an expiring and Noah, Thabo and Duhon which is better than Crit, Kwame and 1st rounders) then I wonder if the firesale was worth it. The two first rounders are likely to be at the bottom of the first round.

Remember last year before the Iverson deal there was talk of a Gasol deal to get AI. I think AI said he had no interest in Memphis and it was pulled.

Last year the Bulls offered Nocioni and the expiring P.J Brown plus fillers and picks.

I understand having cap space, but on the other hand you actually need talent to attract the top market free agents. Atlanta has had ample caproom for years and the last top flight free agent they signed was Mutumbo. No top free agent is going to want to goto Memphis to play in a tough conference with Rudy Gay or Mike Conley jr.... No one wants to see a replay of the stupid Rashard Lewis deal

I wonder if Jerry West had any involvment in this deal????

Reply #170455 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

There goes another free agent my Bulls may have signed. Garnett, Gasol, Bryant, Iverson. I say we go after Raef LaFrentz now as he might be the only decent player left.

Reply #170456 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

WHAT A TRADE!!! nice pick up by the lakers. never liked kwame Lol.

Reply #170458 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I'm wondering if maybe Pau has said something and if you look at the way he's been playing, he's hardly been the Pau of old, maybe they just took what they could get? Or maybe the main part was the picks?

Reply #170459 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Great Trade.......shouldve kept Crittenton and offloaded Radmanavic instead

Bought time the Lakers got a decent Power Forward

Reply #170460 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This explains why Turiaf was starting today (no complaints as I got him in TSN fantasy the day before).

Certainly makes the Lakers an interesting team - smart trade by them.

Reply #170476 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

For those that are interested here is a video of Kobe's reaction to the trade:

Reply #170484 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Could be a return to the '80s - a Lakers-Celtics Final.

Reply #170485 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

cant wait for Bynum to get back now to see that huge frontcourt: Bynum, Gasol and Odom... all three of those guys are capable of 10rpg.

Reply #170490 | Report this post

Man, Memphis could have gotten so much more for Gasol. Oh well. good pickup for the Lakers. I still cant believe how little they got him for

Reply #170505 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

And why Crit seeing as they already have Lowry and Conley. I do doubt whether Gasol can get back t his best tho but worth a punt.

Reply #170514 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Is he's still playing at his worse and still averaging 18ppg and 8rpg I'm sure any Laker fan will be happy with that...

There is a "Fire Paxson" rant going on in Chicago now...

Reply #170517 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Here is the whole trade. I'm surprised that they didn't want to keep the brothers together, or at least the opportunity to keep the brothers together.

The Los Angeles Lakers acquired Pau Gasol and a 2010 second round draft pick from the Memphis Grizzlies for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, a signed and traded Aaron McKie, the draft rights to the #48 pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, Marc Gasol, and two future first round picks.

Reply #170518 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I personally think Memphis royally f'd up on this one. It's all good to say that they will have lots of free cap space, but they have to resign Rudy and Conley eventually with that money. Javaris Crittenton might prove himself to be a nice player, but I think when compared to other teams offers they got sold short. Kwame Brown is only going to help in the lottery sweep stakes, and the draft picks will be very late in the first round. One thing overlooked in this trade is that they traded within conference and made a direct competitor seriously better for years to come. Memphis have also been trying to trade Mike Miller.. but they stand little chance of getting anything of value for him is thats all they could get for Pau. Wonder if the Celtics could get Miller for Scalabrine, Posey and Pollard :)

Reply #170519 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Surely the only way this deal happened was because the Griz are being sold sooner rather than later. If's that not the case, then they just screwed their franchise for next few years.

I now am scared of the Lakers. They've been knocking at that door for the last couple of years, but they are serious title contenders. Best guard in the league and now close to the best frontcourt also.

Reply #170520 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754