bluey
Years ago

How about a 36ers development coach?

Ok with the season now pretty much over, I have been thinking about how we can improve next year.

Most people think the coach is the problem (me partly included), I think there are some positives about him and some negatives. So how can we improve on the current coaching team so that everything is positive?

My personal opinion is that our current coaching team doesn't appear to have any development potential they just seem to let the boys play. So why don't we just get a development coach who's sole purpose is developing young players. I know Scott Ninnis is currently running the Academy but personally I think they are too old, we need to have a development coach maybe even coaching our under 18 & 20 state team if not coaching at least drilling those teams for some time.

I think this would not only have an effect on the 36ers future but would also potentially boost SA at state championships.

I know we have SASI but this appears to be doing SFA, maybe there needs to be a shake up there to help improve it, but the 36ers as the eventual benefactors need to be involved in some way.

Discuss

Topic #14499 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

"Lack of Development potential"? - well, we have Davidson and Ballinger who are having their best season ever, then there is Ng who's improvement this year alone has been outstanding let alone the fact that he has had improvements each year since taking a position with the 36ers. Then in the past there have been Holmes and Forman who started as rookies under the current 36ers coach and developed enough to make them NBL worthy to other clubs.

Reply #171019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U idiot EC

Reply #171039 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

EC, are you really that naive or just one-eyed? Smyth in terms of development did very little.

You can't seriously believe that Ballinger and Davidson have improved because of Smyth?

Holmes and Forman (I believe) left to try and seek further development as they weren't getting the support from the coach here in Adelaide.

Reply #171154 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

What about Cattalini? He came here frustrated at lack of opportunity in Perth. Don't suppose Phil had anything to do with his development.
Seems to me that a lot of you morons are missing the point that a coach can instill confidence in a player by allowing them to do what they do naturally.
I dont want Goorjian robots running around doing the hustle!!
And FFS we aint got the cash to buy a championship like Sydney.
As EC said before, you cant blame the coach for loss of sponsors, injuries, and lack of cash to pay players a premium. We lost Forman and Holmes, our future developing players. There is no proof that we can develop a championship team with a new coach, none at all. As the players improve they want more money, and thats up to the team administration to negotiate, not the coach. So grow up duds and realise you can't buy champagne on beer money!!!

Reply #171208 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754