123abc
Years ago

Smyth, Sixers Set to Part

In Today's Advertiser Boti said that Phil and Mal are meeting to make an agreement (to part).

It is very dissapointing the way he exited, but 9th and 11th are just not good enough, especially with the Sixers expectations.

With the free agents list out, Boti said the 36ers could go with..

C Schenscher/Cooper
F Ballinger/Mottram
F Holmes/Dodman?
G Hodge/Maher
G Williams/Davidson

He thinks that Ballinger will naturalise before the NBL season :S

Topic #14522 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Well tie me to a hog and let it roll in the mud.

.......and for what is worth, I said my prayers before I went to sleep last night.

Reply #171262 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hopefully next season ends up being similar to the first we saw Sm*th coach. New coach, new squad, from outside the playoffs to NBL CHAMPIONS!

A roster like that would be very big for SA Basketball.

Reply #171264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think that roster would fit under the points cap unless it's changed a bit. The starters are almost 50 alone.

Could move Dodman to back-up PF and have another youngster as back-up SF. Because Hodge can switch to SF when Maher hits the court, I think we'd cover having a rookie there. Holmes could see time at PF which limits any reliance on Dodman too much.

I'd also try for Franklin in place of Williams, otherwise your starting guard combo both have limited range.

Reply #171265 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, Boti noted that difficulty, but thinks we could shave 5 points off by getting re-ratings. Me thinks he is a little optimitic - what are we, Melbourne? :-)

Reply #171268 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Will they announce a replacement? Its not very safe to let go of what you have without a replacement lined up. Whether this is good or bad news will entirely depend on who the coach will be. I would think that it would also form part of a player's decision to sign with Adelaide or not.

Reply #171270 | Report this post

Locals  
Years ago

EC, on the other hand it would be wrong to be searching for a replacement until the encumbents employment had been finalised. THere are a few coaches out there suitable and they have to start lining those up now.

Reply #171272 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, that's optimistic. e.g., I don't think Schenscher is a 10-point player, but he's returned from the NBA and Europe - why would the NBL rank him as anything else for his first season?

Mottram might drop a bit. Cooper will probably stay the same. The imports are all going to be clear 10s. Holmes wouldn't drop below a 7.

Reply #171273 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Don't need Cooper AND Mottram. One or the other as they basically give you the same.

Reply #171274 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Who is Williams? Its a bit early in the morning and so the Brain isn't working

Reply #171275 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Ah Corey Williams.... When did the Sixers get an unlimited salary cap and points system like Sydney, like Boti seems to suggest?

Reply #171276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cory...homicide

Reply #171277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if phil is frustrated and isn't sure that he wants to continue there is mal's answer right there. need commitment and enthusiasm. and before any one blames that on any fans whining, do you seriously think that he is basing his feeling on what people say here? he wouldnt even read here.

Reply #171281 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Let's try to lure Kavossy Franklin or Cortez Groves as a point guard. Both are young enough to give a couple of years or more depending on salary cap etc.

Reply #171282 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Time to go Phyl
Do a Gilly and do it gracefully and even critics like me will honour your last game.
Lots of good memories if you think back far enough

Reply #171286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 171281,'

Why would he want his name scrubbed if he doesnt read it

Reply #171292 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Sad Day!

Reply #171295 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not 171281, but I assume a few people have asked him about comments and he's just wanted to put a lid on the stuff being posted.

Reply #171296 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Phil has definitely brought us great memories over the years especially those championships. We also have some exciting players like Cat, Mee, KB etc.

Sad it's come to this. Let's all give Phil a standing ovation on Saturday night against the Taipans. Let's better that, give Phil a guard of honour. Chair him off into the locker room too.

Reply #171297 | Report this post

Here, here. Lets give him a standing ovation for all the great memories he has given us.

Yes the last few seasons have been dissapointing; but his 1st few were fantastic.

Lets all show some respect on Saturday an d all walk out with our heads high.

Reply #171299 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

"I haven't made a concrete decision," he said about continuing as an NBL coach. "Realistically, if you're a high achiever, this has been an unbelievably frustrating season. I don't know if I want to go on.

No discussion needs to be entered into then. Anybody who coaches knows you need to be totally into it. If there is one iota of doubt in your mind, don't do it. This of course could be a defensive statement realising he may be fired.

Reply #171303 | Report this post

sushi cowboy  
Years ago

then announce your retirement or step down. either you want to continue or you don't. if you do, at least sound motivated. if you don't, go out on your terms.

Reply #171307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erik Burdon deserves to be in the 10 next season over Dodman.

Reply #171310 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

And Zorich!

Reply #171311 | Report this post

Hoops 82  
Years ago

I disagree, i think Dodman is a better prospect than Burdon. Here's why:

In the big's department we've got,
Cooper - 31. not going to get any better
Dench - 31. not going to get any better
Balls - 28. Gun, but plays a different role
Motts - 27. When fit, plays some good D and is aggressive offensively. should be retained
Dodman - 19 (20 tomorrow). Still learning the trade at the NBL level, and brief minutes played has shown an eagerness and good touch.

But the guards,
Maher - 34. A couple season maybe left
Davidson - 33. A few more seasons
Ng - 25. And playing more and better minutes above eze.
Sutton - 23. has shown capabilities in carry the rock, not a NBL level scoring threat, but with Balls, Maher, NG all in rotation, there's no great demand for a SG over a PG.
Burdon - 22. Can shoot the rock, and defend at an ABA level, but got burnt on Sunday night continually. Hasn't demonstrated ball carrying duties like sutts has.

Reply #171314 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think i remember hearing a Hodge interview and he mentiond corey williams is a friend of his, maybe that is why Boty suggested him, could be a good incentive to keep Hodge in town. Also those 2 together would bring some showtime and excitement i hope they can put that team together
And if the points cap is a issue drop guys like Mottram and or Cooper and replace with rookies like Dodman, Burdon etc to make it possible to keep the starters

Reply #171315 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Motts plays good D in the first quarter, then sits on the bench cos he has too many fouls.

Coops is solid. Must be held on to.

Im not sure about Dodman. He doesn't kill it in the ABA, how can he be expected to do it in the NBL?

This thread should be about who we could dig up as a coach. Stacker or bust in imo.

Reply #171316 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Sorry but coach of dreams is now just coach of delusion . Izzy , to hear those quotes come out of his mouth gives me a chuckle . If he thinks this season has been frustrating for him what about the last 3-4 seasons for fans alike . Once again a bit slow to catch on , sayonara sleepy head .

Reply #171319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C:Crosswaite, Mottram or Cooper if crosswaite wont come
PF:Ballinger, Molitor(development)
SF:Holmes, Tovey
SG:Hodge, Maher
PG:Williams, Davidson (spud or burdon)

Can't see schensher coming bak yet i think molitor is more suited to the nbl game and has shown some large improvements over summer, think he could fill the role better then dodman, holmes can slide to PF and ballinger can slip to C if you get stuck, spud could be a handy development player giving an injection of pace and run that would complement hodge etc you could use him or burdon as burdon has proven he is good enough

Reply #171320 | Report this post

Hoops 16  
Years ago

I don't like Molitor in the 4, i reckon at the NBL level's he's a 3. Holmes can fit the 4 spot though.

I agree in trying to secure Crosswaite, but i'm not sure if he'd be able to ... resist temptation in SA....

I'd like to see (and i think it's realistic)

c: Crosswaite / Cooper / Dodman
pf: Ballinger / Holmes
sf: Import / Copleand (for maybe one more year) then Molitor/Clausen
sg: Hodge / Maher
pg: Davidson / NG / Sutton (or burdon or craddock or spud or gerlach or madgen etc etc)

Reply #171326 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, it's "Crosswhite".

Holmes won't move to come off the bench. Copeland is retiring.

Is Molitor going to college? If not, then he'd be a decent SF prospect as a development player. Can shoot and has height for the position which is a good start.

Reply #171328 | Report this post

Hoops 16  
Years ago

Revised

c: Crosswhite / Cooper / Dodman
pf: Ballinger / Import
sf: Holmes / Tovey then either Molitor/Clausen
sg: Hodge / Maher
pg: Davidson / NG / Sutton (or burdon or craddock or spud or gerlach or madgen etc etc)

Reply #171334 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I like botys line up but dont think it could fit, you would have to cut Mottram atleast as he mentioned in the paper to have a chance of making it fit, if they missed out on Schensch and keep motts that would prob come close to fitting
I also like the line ups above and would be happy to see them, but i doubt holmes would come off the bench, he would have to start one of the fwd positions
and i wouldnt want copeland back either, not that hes bad but its time for him to retire and us get a young back up SF.
Id like that team and i think it would be able to fit into the points cap or come close to it anyway, i would sacrifice a Cooper and replace him with a rookie if i had to make it fit if we could get that starting 5 with Ballinger, and 2 imports (Hodge and Williams) + 2 SA guys (Schenscher and Holmes) but would prefer to keep Cooper if possible

C: Schenscher or Crosswaite or Mottram / Cooper
pf: Ballinger / Dodman
sf: Holmes/ young SF, Brad Hill???? Molitor???? (11th man)
sg: Hodge/Maher/Ng
pg: Corey Williams or Kavossy Franklin (if ballinger is naturalised)/Davidson
If ballinger is not naturalised go for the best pg we can fit in or give a guy like Zorich or Burdon a go depending on points cap
If the back up SF is the 11th man we wont have a specific back up SF in the 10, but i dont see this as a huge problem as Holmes would play areound 40 mins anyway and Hodge is capable on sliding to the SF spot for the other 8 mins with Maher and Ng playing decent mins in the guard rotation.

Reply #171335 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It looks to me like The Coach has pre-empted his sacking and is making comment to give the impression that he wanted to move on or retire anyway.

Reply #171340 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

exactamundo el doctor !

Reply #171344 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Yes, it will be painted as his decision, but I have no problem with that. Has been bullshitting the public for the past 11 years so why stop now?

Reply #171348 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Is it not enough that he is leaving, rotate on this and Izzy? Do you also have to show disrespect to someone who has brought 3 championships to the club. If you were all for him going, then be happy about it and leave it at that. Phil deserves to go out with the respect and accolades that he deserves for his achievements of the past.

Reply #171351 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Do you seriously think he hasn't given thought to the end of his contract before now? Don't kid yourselves he is any different from any other working person who has a contract that expires in a fixed period of time.
He was already thinking about it before the season started.

Reply #171352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why carry on if your heart's not in it though? everyone's been arguing these months for nothing.

Reply #171353 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

How can you say his 'Heart's not in it?' Couldn't it just be possible that he knew it was his last year of contract and he wanted to go out on top? Wouldn't any of you? Sheesh! It would be nice if people didn't deflect their total ignorance onto someone who isn't stupid, despite what some of you might think.

Reply #171354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so once he wasnt going out on top, why not announce it was his last year and allow the last few games to be a tribute or testimonial? why wait until the day before a meeting with the boss? what if mal wanted to keep him?

Reply #171357 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

geeeezzzzussssss!!! What else are you going to find wrong?

Reply #171358 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

So... i am guessing if we resign Ballinger we can get two more imports? I doubt Schenscher will be playing for the Sixers next season...

Look at David Stiff, Cam Tovey and Jacob Holmes and Kavossy Franklin to replace Dench, Copeland, Sutton, Ng
so...

C Mottram/Cooper
F Ballinger/Stiff
F Holmes/Tovey
G Hodge/Maher
G Franklin/Davidson

Reply #171360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dana what? i am an old friend and think he deserves more of a chance to say goodbye than just only one game. what have i said wrong

Reply #171362 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Dana, the point is with the comments he made this week it would be tough for any administration/owner to re-appoint him.

No matter what happens, and what his real intentions are it will appear as his decision to walk. Quite clever really.

Reply #171364 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

i like 123abc's team, how ever i think Franklin is signed to the Hawks, i suggested him earlier aswell, so that cant happen unfortunatly as he would be great, so i think Corey Williams or Cortez Groves would be the next best options, Groves isnt a point guard but Hodge can carry the ball and run the point with Cortez in the 2spot. I think that would be a great guard combination.
I also would like someone younger than Stiff off the bench, maybe a Janev or Petrie or Dodman if we cant fit those guys under the points cap but wouldnt be too upset if Stiff did return.
I would also like Ng to be retained if he doesnt chose to go to medicine.
I hope they do end up with a roster along the lines of what has been suggested on this site, as they would be pretty good line ups in my opinion.

Reply #171367 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Doubt we'd be able to keep Hodge if Phil ain't coaching here next season

Reply #171369 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

OK #171362. Sorry. I think he could have been holding out hope that they could make it through till they lost on Sunday. If he had made the announcement any earlier it could have been seen as giving up all hope and we all know he is one of the 'keep it positive' club.
That's one of the things that annoys me about many posts in here. They're all so darn negative and God knows there's enough bad in the world without bagging sports people.

Reply #171370 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Currently listening to 5AA Sports Show. They say Phillip will be on the show later, so it'll be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Reply #171372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Franklin is definately contracted to the Hawks next year.

Reply #171386 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Dana wrote:
'It would be nice if people didn't deflect their total ignorance onto someone who isn't stupid, despite what some of you might think.'

Coming from one of the biggest Phil lovers/defenders known to man kind, the irony in this comment here....well, it really is too much.

Ingles13, shoosh. Seriously, I'm getting sick of those comments. There stupid, obnoxious and ignorant. No one actaully has any evidene other than an article where Hodge says he enjoys playing for Phil. STOP IT.

Reply #171394 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

Article on AdelaideNow.com.au Boti's just written.

Smyth showed he was feeling the strain when he threatened a local internet forum with legal action over what he perceived as constant negative criticism.

Reply #171399 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

Article on AdelaideNow.com.au that Boti's just written.

(Coach'es name removed)... showed he was feeling the strain when he threatened a local internet forum with legal action over what he perceived as constant negative criticism.

Reply #171400 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

The_Champ33, i have been listening too and got the impression that they won't be interviewing phil.

Press Release tomorrow at 11 AM.

Reply #171402 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

twenty four...I stand by what I said..Phil isn't stupid.
Ironic that you understand irony. Clever Boy!

Reply #171439 | Report this post

okay  
Years ago

Phil deserves a standing ovation definately. This season is gone. Now it seems we are most probably farewelling someone who has been a big part of the sixers success in the past, which is meaningful to many. 10 years is a long time. We would have all loved his probably last season with us to go on a better note, but it didn't happen.

(Weve had some awesome games with Hodge though, what a keeper! Shame we didn't have him all season!)

Reply #171475 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

You guys made the Herald Sun.

"The 36ers had their worst season and while injuries and import issues ate into this year's campaign, the club's improvement of only two placings left him under increased pressure and scrutiny.

Smyth showed he was feeling the strain when he threatened a local internet forum with legal action over what he perceived as constant negative criticism.

It was a rare show of public dissatisfaction in a mostly stellar career which brought Adelaide 36ers fans their richest and most cherished memories since the halcyon days of the 1986 "Invincibles" championship team."

Reply #171493 | Report this post

hammertime  
Years ago

not goping to happen now phil is gone. if phil coaches somewhere else and hodge plays in aus it will be with him. does anyone not realize that? hope mal has thought that one through!

Reply #171498 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

OMFG!!!!!

I had an all day management meeting yesterday and couldn't get to the Internet, and WHAT happens?

Voldemort is LEAVING?

Man, who could have told you that a MONTH ago?

Reply #171500 | Report this post

Smarthe  
Years ago

171498, I find it unbelievable how naive some people are. Hodge did say that. He has been here less than 8 weeks. if you are an import wouldn't you say anything to keep your job? There is no loyalty with imports and Hodge will go where-ever the money is, more than likely have another crack at the NBA/Europe.

NUUUMMMMMNUUUUUT!

Reply #171504 | Report this post

to add to that as good as Hodge is, there are pleanty of imports out there as good, just with a better jump shot. Not the end of the world if he doesnt come back. you would just hope the new coaching staff would put the effort in to find as good if not better a player. not re cycle an import that has already been in the league.

Reply #171506 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hodge brings a good attitude to the team. He's a "never say die" kind of character. This has been reflected in his recent contributions despite being slightly injured himself. His energy levels are also a cut above the rest. He is the one who showed the effects of exhaustion in the Blaze game the least. His encouragement is infectious. Lots of good players around the world, but these types of characteristics are hard to find.

Reply #171559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754