The_Champ33
Years ago

Goorj to Coach Dragons?

I've just read the Boti article and it has a small paragraph on Goorjan.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23160248-5006371,00.html

Basically the South Dragons will try to lure Goorj to coach the Dragons. They will even buy out the final year of his contract with the Kings if they have too.

Or the Dragons will snap up Phil as quoted on here by many people in recent times.

Topic #14525 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Dragons not going for Phil from what I've heard. Going all-out for Goorjian, then will consider other options (Stacker, Beveridge, etc you'd guess).

Getting Goorjian would be their best way of keeping Holmes or getting a few new players across I think.

Reply #171301 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah talking to a former coach who is in the know over there...the Dragons will throw everything (even the kitchen sink!) to get Boy Goorj over to the Dragons next year and as Isaac stated Stacker will be the second option. He is heading over there on Thursday for an interview so Phil Smith an option. From all reports Phil started that rumour himself!!!

Reply #171305 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

The soon to be ex-sixers coach will be lucky to get another coaching gig in the NBL for the next few years at least. Simply not rated anywhere but in his home town.

Reply #171306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also where does this put Breheny and the "deal" that him and Smy*h have.....

Puts him in a tough spot i would think....Acadamy maybe?

Reply #171322 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Hard to walk away from Sydney now you'd think,

Reply #171323 | Report this post

Cha Ching  
Years ago

Sydney are in the worst shape financially of anyone. Mass exodus coming up....

Reply #171327 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Yes, i like that idea. Go on Goorj, go to the Dragons, and thenn we wouldn't have more useless Sydney Kings players been called up to play for the Boomers. If he does go to the Dragons, then you can be assured Ingles will play for the Boomers.

Reply #171330 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

The Kings crowds are absolutely awful, second worse only to the Razorbacks. Sydney fans are quiet as and no one goes to the games despite it being at a world class stadium and the team's topping the league by a mile. I seriously feel for Goorj at the Kings, what more can the guy do to get people to get to the game? As a spectacle the music is crap and everything but for 10-20 bucks you seriously can't ask for much more. As a Kings fan I'd be upset to see Goorj go but i'd understand his motives, the guy puts his heart and soul into the game in Sydney and sees it going backwards in terms of exposure. PLus as ive mentioned before i think the paper reports on Kings crowds is inflated by at east 1000 each game (sounds like a conspiracy theory) but the last game there couldn't have been more than 1000 and it was listed as 2800 in the paper. Also i hate Kings fans in general, if you shout something (which shouldn't be out of the ordinary for a sporting event) about 15 people will turn around and either laugh or look at you with a puzzled mug. Having gone to an Adelaide and a Perth home game I can see how good an NBL atmosphere can be.

Reply #171332 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I wouldnt be surprised, and it prob would be good for melb basketball get the old magic/titans v tigers rilvary pumping again
Id also imagine he would try and bring guys like Smith, Kendall, Crosswhite who are all vics with him, and with a few others, which along with Ingles and a couple of imports that would give the Dragons a decent line up.
Im pretty sure it was Goorj who first had Cortez Groves out here to, like he was going to play for the titans before they folded so he went to the Hawks, so it would be interesting to see if he trys to keep him around

If that were to happen Dragons could have a potential starting line up of,
PG Groves/Draper/new Import
SG J.Smith or Kendall
SF Ingles
PF Import
C Crosswhite

along with a deep bench im sure Goorj will recruit

I can see why the Dragons are chasing him so hard, but wouldnt want him and his style with the 36ers personally

Reply #171333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crosswhite a Vic?? are you sure.

Also, what style are you concerned Gorj would bring, winning??

Reply #171347 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Style being, full-on defensive focussed, push limits of the rules regarding contact, send teams backrupt (see Magic, Titans etc), reduce crowd attendance.

So yes, winning is a way to describe his style, but while his teams win, the game of basketball loses in Australia.

Reply #171349 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea goorjs style is very rigid and defensively orientated and often makes it a bit of a scrap and not the most free flowing and entertaining style to watch, and even though he has won titles that style often wont hold up in playoffs, like how many grand finals has goorj's style choked in, which is why i would rather not have him here, as id rather a coach like Phil sort of is who allows his players to play free flowing offense but also play good defense, sort of like the 98 36ers championship team, played great defense as a team, and a free flowing high scoring offense, thats the style of game that wins and is enjoyable to watch in my opinion. Probably just with a little more structure and more focus on development of players than phil is known for is prob what most fans are after, if phil had added a bit more structure and paid attention to guys like Ingles and returning college players, sort of like Goorj does, i think most fans would be more than happy to see phil continue beyond this season

Reply #171350 | Report this post

Ole  
Years ago

The NBL needs a strong franchise in Sydney, and Goorjian is a huge part of this. I cant see how leaving the largest city with the most potential for growth is a step forward. Yes sure you all love the came south and its support is stronger,however, to succeed in Sydney where no one else has would be ground breaking. The NBL, the NBL teams and ABA are still letting the side down when it comes to promoting and growing the sport in Sydney. If they got serious and committed to the grass roots here the sport would thrive.

Reply #171368 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If Goorjian goes to the Dragons, then we will have the Melbourne Kings. The move would only be geographic.

Reply #171374 | Report this post

WALI SHARIFI  
Years ago

Im Ahmad Wali Sharifi Im 39 from CANADA ONTARIO - YOU CAN DUNK HIGH IF YOU USE YOUR LEGS POWER.

Reply #171411 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Word up, Wali. Use your legs, brother. Power to the people.

What the?

Reply #171417 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Maybe not enough fans go to watch the games in Sydney because they're on Foxtel so often?

Reply #171437 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, I think that is a significant issue for them. One game that wasn't on Fox, they had 5k+.

They have walk-up tickets as cheap as $10 which is excellent, just need to get the locals off their butts to actually show up.

I know there are a lot over there who love Goorj and their young Boomers, but I wonder if they could get more attention if they had imports making more of an impact? They've gone from guys like Williams, Ere, Carrawell and Franklin down to Sanford, Victor, etc.

Reply #171453 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754