Isaac
Years ago

Foley named Player of the Week

Foley named Nivea Player of the Week

Adelaide Lightning guard Jess Foley has been named the Australian Defence Force Women's National Basketball League (WNBL) Nivea Player of the Week for Round 17.

Foley, 24, scored a team and equal career high 30 points on 10-of-15 field shooting, including a perfect 4-of-4 three point attempts, to steer the Lightning to a nailbiting 98-95 win over the Sydney Uni Flames in Sydney.

Trailing 21-18 at quarter time Foley exploded for 17 second quarter points on 6-of-6 shooting that included 3-of-3 triples. She also tallied six rebounds, four assists and two steals in her 35 minutes on court.

"It was a huge win for us," Foley said. "I think it's the first time we have defeated Sydney in Sydney since I have been with Adelaide so to get a win against one of the top teams going into the finals is big."

"I missed my first few shots of the game and I was starting to get a little worried but in that second quarter I felt good with the ball in my hands and my shots dropped.

"They have had a bit of a psychological edge over us in Sydney in the last couple of years.

"We have always generally played their after playing in Townsville and they pretty much have clobbered us on that home court so it was really important for us to realise we have made a step as a team and improved from last year and that we can beat them on their home court.

"I have been happy with the way I have been shooting and really happy with the combination of players in the team and Adelaide is just the right fit at the moment."

The three-point win was Adelaide's 13th consecutive victory and all but secured them the 2007/08 minor premiership.

Through 20 games this season, Foley is averaging 14.9 points, 3.9 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game  all career highs.

Topic #14527 | Report this topic

Grammar Nazi  
Years ago

We have always generally played their after playing in Townsville and they pretty much have clobbered us on

their / there ??

Reply #171329 | Report this post

jess is a quality unit and overseas awaits her - all the more reason to get out and support the girls this year - to have such a good combo together is extraordinary.

Reply #171346 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754