Anonymous
Years ago

Stacker should be new Sixers Coach

Before we all have knee jerk reactions to the title and say he didnt have success in Townsville i do have reasons why i feel this is our best option.

1. Stacker is someone that knows how to run a program that will develop current and future talent. His programs are out of the school of Gorj, emphasis on hard work, strength and conditioning, individual development. This is exactly what we need here. a total culture change! we need totally different from P. Sm%$h, So no McLeod or Spawell etc.

2. Stacker has proven that he is one of the best at recruiting young talent. Was able to get Newley from us, Adam Quick was a great pick up from college until he did his knee, Ingles was going to be a Croc until they didnt re sign Stacker. We are in a three year building process at this club. If we recruit players not with youth we will continue to have the issues we have of late. Getting players that arent blue chip caliber players and discard them after a year. Youth has to be the policy and start from the ground up. No one better to do this. I believe also has a great relationship with Stephen Weigh who just left college, would be a great 3 man in Sixer blue. Also one of his former players in Greg Vaderjact is a free agent and was being looked at by NBA teams whilst under stacker, could follow him down perhaps???

3. The Newley factor.... whispers are that if Stacker gets the Dragons job, Brad will land in Melbourne. I dont think this should be the sole reason to get Stacker here but adds to the already list. If it means Newley leaves europe and plays for us for a year, he has my vote.

4. Strong ties overseas. Stackers network in Europe and the USA is believed to be quite strong. I noticed a testimonial from North Carolina Coach Roy Williams on his website. Someone with a network deep overseas can not only have value on court in the way of players, trends etc but also marketing opportunities for the organisation.

5. Passion! love him or hate him, he would do anything for the win whilst in Townsville and this above all else is what i want to see here in Adelaide, someone with true passion. We have had to watch someone take the life out of this passionate and proud club. this needs to be seen as only positive to get someone involved with this drive.

I know that there are probably faults as well, but think these 5 positives are exactly what is needed here in Adelaide and out way any negatives.

Sixers need to get him before the Dragons do IMHO!

Topic #14528 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

Thanks Ian for showing us your resume, better get it into the Sixers asap.

Reply #171363 | Report this post

Wayville 56  
Years ago

The three best coaches for the 36ers at the moment would be Stacker, Clarke and Lemanis. Clarke will not leave the AIS before the end of 2009. Lemanis is entrenched in NZ. That leaves only one, Stacker. Love him or hate him, he can flat-out coach and is the perfect guy to "rebuild" the program.

Reply #171366 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Good luck to the referee coachs in sa then. Rumour goes that the main referee coach in townsville had to change his number because stacker would be ringing him all the time. I think he ended up getting a prepaid just for stacker to call.

Good Luck Trev and crew ;)

Reply #171371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at least he really cares! is the smart choice. lets hope the powers to be agree.

Reply #171373 | Report this post

How about Scott Ninnis as new sixers coach ?
I have spoken to a few guys that have been coached by him and all regard him as the best coach that they have ever played for.

Reply #171375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too much like Smyth for mine, perfect situation though i think would be to have Ninnis back as Stackers assistant.

Reply #171377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too much like current coach for mine. think the perfect scenario would be for Stacker to be head coach and have Ninnis as one of his assistants.

Reply #171378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ninnis is nothing like the current coaches u tool.

Just cos he has been involved with them doesnt mean he is like them

The fact that he started the Academy shows that he actually gives a rats toss about development for a start.

Reply #171380 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Was Ninnis ever an assistant coach to Goorj in Melbourne?

I know he certainly played for him there but i thought he may have been an assistant there before being an assistant in Townsville.

Reply #171381 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Wasn't Stacker head coach of Townsville together with Ninnis as his assistant in the 2005/06 season when they came 10th out of 11 teams? If so, I do not see success glaring at me in the face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005-06_NBL_Season

Reply #171383 | Report this post

Forest  
Years ago

Dont think that result can be taken into consideration for either party. Stacker did make a grand final against a very good Woolongong. 2 time coach of the year and Under 23 gold medal winning coach for Australia. sounds good to me

Reply #171388 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why would you not take that result into consideration. Phil S may be leaving the 36ers due to poor team performance in the last 2 years yet he won 3 championships. Many are happy to see him go despite that.

Reply #171390 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Touche EC.

Reply #171391 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Ch 10 mentioned Gordie McLeod as a possible candidate for the job. What does everybody thing about Gordie Coaching?

Reply #171393 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

As long as the roster consists of HODGE AND BALLINGER with a decent support cast, anyone could coach this team next year with success! No offense S&(y8th but its freaking true hence your GONE! Stacker for me, angry looking man! Figure he must be so freaking hungry to get a shot at revenge in the basketball circles, as his coaching name has been slightly tainted! A coach with passion is what we need, Stacker will have that!

Reply #171401 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

There are obviously other good coaches around in U S A
and even coaching under manned nbl teams like Bevvo. etc. But Stacker seems a good option to me without knowing. But we definetly need someone prepared to roll up his sleeves do some research in recruiting some untapped talent to assist with points system as well as get right mix of qlty. plyrs, and have us playing organized def. and attack.
If we can keep got a great base with Ballinger Brett.
Davidson Hodges Ninja and Coops as back up centre.
and poss Burdon as a number 10 or developement plyr.
Ryan Kerston at Nz might be worthwile to bring home as a 9 or 10.

Reply #171426 | Report this post

Believe Gordie McLeod has one year left on his contract with the Singapore Slingers. At least I very much hope so. Gordie would be a fantastic coach for the 36ers.

Not sure that Stacker is what Adelaide needs to rebuild the team .

Reply #171464 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Im not a huge stacker but if he can come in maintian our core players of Maher, Davidson, Hodge, Ballinger, Cooper, Ng add Newley a couple of good young guys he has been scouting with his website from college like he has done in the past with Newley with the crocs i could handle having him as a coach.
I would prob prefer us to give Scotty Ninnis a go personally, sign him for say 2 years and see how he goes, our last rookie coach delivered us 2 titles straight away so nothin wrong with rookie coaches!

Reply #171468 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bretts the man, I agree with you. Look to the US for a good coach. I am not keen on any of the available ones here because none of them have been too successful. If you can't add the word "success" to your resume, then you are not suitable for the job. It would be a great act of loyalty to give the job to Scott Ninnis but I believe he has got a bit more to show before he would be suitable in the Head Coach position. The Stacker/Ninnis combination in the Townsville 2005/06 season was a disgrace. They had a good line up including Newley (NBL ROTY and NBL best 6th man), Rillie (club MVP) and Robert Rose. A good Head Coach could have done more with this group.

Reply #171519 | Report this post

Years ago

EC, Rob Rose was about 63 years old that year!

Reply #171521 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Get Al Green in there - we could use the attitude.

Reply #171544 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

63 years old?

Reply #171553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Get Al Green in there - we could use the attitude.
Not another peep out of you, Loco!

Reply #171555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about we go after guy molloy???????

Reply #171563 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754