Gary Chamberlain
Years ago

Jason Reardon to North Adelaide

This article was in the Geelong Advertiser today.

What are the chance of Reardon breaking in tothe 36'ers from the Rockets? Do you need a SG?

I wish him well - a great young man

Link to article

Topic #14531 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide's shooting guard stocks could include Maher, Ng and Burdon. A bit more height would be useful as I think any half-decent SF prospect would be quite useful.

Reply #171405 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

bet some boys at north be starting to count their minutes now

Reply #171416 | Report this post

Anon, in a team like that there will be plenty of minutes to spread around.

Reply #171482 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

dusty and reardon - salary cap?

plus Hambour/zorich/burdon getting paid?

Reply #171488 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

All we're hearing about Jase is North and the Scats... what about the team really effected here: Jase's local team the East Geelong Bulls!

Not to mention the regulas Sat Summer Pick-up Jase runs at LBII Centre!

Good luck bro. D

Reply #171492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reardon in , Dusty out - still not as good as last year.

Reply #171502 | Report this post

Hooper  
Years ago

If what you say about Dusty is true, (and its not, spoke to him over the weekend, and nothing confirmed in europe yet) the question isnt if they are as good as last year or not, its whether or not they can win it again.

I say Yes they will. They have added 2 very quality players in Mapunda and Reardon, are very well coached and have a lot of depth. You cant argue against their program being the best in the comp. Will make for a good season.

Reply #171503 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Like I said on another thread, I can't understand why he picked North if he wanted to stand out from the crowd in hope he will get picked up by the Sixers. With Dusty, Zorich, Burdon, Hambour and Mapunda, he's not exactly going to be scoring 20 each game now is he!

Reply #171508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooper=Schueller

Reply #171511 | Report this post

Hooper  
Years ago

anon 171511, nope but good guess though. im far too old to be coaching or playing but think my points are valid ones

Reply #171514 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, Schueller affiliated with Stacker. Stacker a potential 36ers coach. Schueller says "We offer the best path to the 36ers", and gets a good recruit in the process. Melbourne Tigers were trying to get Brad Newley by talking up their links to the NBA in a similar way.

Reply #171515 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

Stingray,

Forget about the Bulls, its the year of the Kings baby!

Reply #171516 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I didn't even know Schueller was affiliated with Stacker, but if you sign on that basis that is just false hope.
I wouldn't have definitelt thought he would've played at Sturt, that is just the automatic path to the sixers!!!

Reply #171518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, you must cry yourself to sleep over that. "If only I had moved to Sturt, I could be training bait for the 36ers!" ;)

Reply #171520 | Report this post

Smarthe  
Years ago

Panther,

I have to disagree with ya on this one buddy.

The Jye Watson experiment of going to a program where "you stand out" failed. Those programs tend to have poorer coaches that are less respected on the National scene alah Simpson (Whitmore this year) and Centrals.

Reardon is far better to go into a National title contender and show he can mix it with a role on an NBL calibre team, with a coach respected and known by a number of NBL coaches. Whether you love North or hat them for this its a good move for Reardon.

Reply #171522 | Report this post

Rarney Bubble  
Years ago

I've said this before in another post:

The Jye Watson experiment did not fail. He got the chance to train with the Sixers at their pre season camp but was not good enough. I guess Reardon is hoping for a similar opportunity in the hope that he will prove himself.

As for who he plays for I don't think it really matters. A good scout/coach will consider a player's performance in the context of what other players he has around him.

Reply #171531 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Smarthe, I wasn't saying go to Centrals, geez everyone knows you don't want to play there...right Vidmar! But what about a team like...South for example! Have just lost their main scorer who was getting 26 points a game, a position of which he would fill perfectly. Good guards who will get him the ball and will get 20 shots a game, unlike North where he will maybe get 10 shots. I would've even looked at Norwood who definitely need a SG. Imagine a team with Matthews at the point feeding you the ball and Cooper grabbing your misses and kicking them straight back out to you!

Reply #171532 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

I'll admit I know very little about the SA ABA league, but from the other post, nearly everyone had Norths as being the top contender for the title. Reardon's come from the supercats where he won 3 SEABL titles and a national title, so it would seem to me that he would want to go to another team with a realistic shot at the title again.

How about praising a guy looking to win rather than just trying to further his career.

Reply #171539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reardon will get 15-20 shots per game, even at North.

Reply #171545 | Report this post

2008 bring it  
Years ago

Panther, maybe everybody that Reardon spoke to told him not to play for South because they are full of big headed idiots who can't play half as good as they think they can, and who have a coach who is barely known outside his own club let alone around the country. You need to know how to make a pitch to a guy to get him to come. Saying to him that we have an open starting SG spot and you can have all the minutes and take all the shots that you want but at the end of the day you won't get to play finals cos our team never plays finals, unless the bloke really doen't care about his basketball and is just looking to look a standout amoungst lesser players and following the cash, isn't gonna work!

Well done to Jason for looking at more than 'how many minuted will I get?' in choosing his new home. The fact that North also had a very appealing package for him helped too I'm sure.

Reardon has definately made a good choice. Not sure who Schuller is going to start and how he will rotate his players, but its not a bad scenario to be in.

Not a bad looking team now
Starters: Hambour, Dusty, Reardon, Burdon,Zorich
Bench: Quigley, Mapunda, Rowe, Burdon, Kies

Looking forward to them playing this mob

Starters:Sutton, Gerlach, Arnold, Oakley, Pero
Bench: Wilson, Sullivan, Harvey, Breeding, Macdonald-T, Hoban

Reply #171565 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Panther, I can see why he wouldn't want to go to Norwood if he's gonna have "Cooper grabbing his misses"

Reply #171618 | Report this post

oldcat2  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers need to keep a close eye on Jason Reardon. Can play 2-3 spot in NBL. ABA level he gaurds a 4 man. Great rebounder, excellent passer and a flat out shooter. Had a huge pre season with Geelong and has added some bulk to his frame. All the best Jase we will miss you in Cat Country.

Reply #171623 | Report this post

Kenzter  
Years ago

I think you only have to look at Reardon'e stats to understand he doesn't mind if he only gets 10 shoys a game. He lead the Seabl in assists last season and has been in the top 10 for assists and steals over the past two seasons. He is a good all round player and can make others around him better. Good luck to him and I hope he is successful in whatever he chooses to do.

Reply #171628 | Report this post

s vidmar  
Years ago

Thanks Panther, far out Whitmore is a poor coach without even coaching one game at ABA level yet, I'm sure he appreciates your support Smarthe.

As for Ricky Simpson not having NBL influence just ask Justin Wilkey about the NBL trial Rick set up for him, the ref that got Reggie a season in Canberra.

Not bad for having no pull in the NBL.

We will leave all the pulling up to you Smarthe.

Reply #171684 | Report this post

Years ago

Let me say this slowly ...... DUSTY IS NOT PLAYING!

Reply #171693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

s vidmar...i think its pretty poor that an aba coach would one read some of the crap posted on this forum, and two actually reply to it! Should be putting ya time and energy into trying some how to get a win or two out of that group of people your have down their that doesn't really look anything like an aba calibre basketball team.

Reply #171704 | Report this post

on the ball  
Years ago

keep that crap you talk about Anonymous coming, what does an ABA calibre team look like and how would you even know.

nice of you to persume s vidmar is an aba coach.

Reply #171707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the guy's probably just got home from work and is checking the forum before dinner. don't be a hater.

Reply #171715 | Report this post

zeevee  
Years ago

Reardo is going to kill it over there! Although he will be missed from the mighty East Geelong Bulls!!

Watch out for the go go gadget arms they'll get ya!

Reply #171859 | Report this post

rock it - yeah!  
Years ago

can he bring over that other Geelong kid - Matt Hardiman, good fit for the rockets

Reply #173150 | Report this post

in the know  
Years ago

Interesting concept.
Clubs that cannot pay their bills spending big on ABL.
Good mamagement!!!!!
Maybe not too good for the future

Reply #173419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm, actually Reardon didn't lead the SEABL in assists (anthony stewart did), but he did average 4.6 assists per game.

Reply #173434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is more than one conference in the SEABL.

Reply #173453 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

Hardiman - mmm, the one Southern had a few years ago???

Didn't impress me when he was here last time.

Reply #173466 | Report this post

just_the_facts  
Years ago

Hardiman is playing with Ballrat Miners with his boy JB

Reply #173525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was the last guy to average a tripple double in ABL??

Reardon will go close this year. All depends on how good the stat guys are with picking an assist.

Reply #174026 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Everybody thanks for your feedback, I have just wasted 5 minutes reading all that crap that I will never ever get back, especially yours "2008 bring it"!!! Your so right, Schuller is such a high profile coach and veryone that goes to North only plays there because of Justin! Dusty plays there because they are mates, nothing to do with his coaching ability. He inherited the rest of his team from last year and this year he has only recruited Mapunda (back to his old club only because they won last year and he thinks he can ride dusty's coattails this year to another!) and Reardon. You stated that.."and following the cash" in regards to why he didn't sign with South. I can assure you South stick to the salary cap which is not alot of money. But the funny thing is you then go on by saying..."The fact that North also had a very appealing package for him helped too I'm sure." Bahahahaha So your telling everyone that North offered him a shit load of cash!
Anyway,
I don't think Reardon will average that many assists when you have Zorich handling the ball for most of the game and sharing those duties with Eze. And when you have players like Dusty, Zorich, Burdon, Hambour and Mapunda on your team you need to remember that there is only ever one basketball allowed on the court during the game and Reardon may find it hard to get as many shots as he likes. Therefore won't really stand out as much as he would probably hope in order to grab the Sixers coaching staff's attention.
From what I hear, Reardon has come over with the sole purpose of making the sixers team, so when you say..."is just looking to look a standout", yes that is what he is trying to do, so know your facts before making ignorant comments!

Reply #174035 | Report this post

2008 bring it  
Years ago

'Package' Panther is not is not a code word for cash. That wasn't a trick comment or anything. North I know offered him a place to live and a job as well as money...in other words...a package! And I said a good package would help, not the main reason!

Also Panther, I didn't say that people come to play at North cos Justin is the coach(but surely the fact that he has won a title helps), I just said that they don't come to South cos Kelly is the coach, so as you put it Bahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha!

Also, Reardon is leaving Geelong due to personal reasons not coming to Adelaide to get a spot with the sixers...so standing out would not be as a big concern to him as playing with a strong club, with good people and a good coaching staff and of course who will win more that 5 games this year!

So after that Panther I think you need to take some reading comprehension classes cos you obviously have trouble interpreting the print infront of you.

Reply #174050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the talk is that the "personal" reasons why Reardon left the Supercats to go to Adelaide is to improve his chances of getting into the NBL due to their link with the sixers.

Reply #174056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to know what link that is! For the sake of every ABA player in SA lets hope a certain coach doesn't get reappointed. New face = new opportunities for all concerned.

Reply #174062 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Talking to the coaches that have spoken to him, his main reason to come over here is to have a crack at making the sixers team. He has supposedly already spoken to Paul Bauer about season 08.
Any player who plays ball would like to win a championship, that's obvious. To say he didn't go to North now because of Schueller is now just contradicting yourself. You stated that one of the reason's he didn't sign with South was because they..."have a coach who is barely known outside his own club let alone around the country".
Before you get way to far ahead of yourself which you have already,..."You need to know how to make a pitch to a guy to get him to come", what I wrote was an example, which is why I included other clubs.
What you probably should have said was..."You need to make a pitch to a guy to get him to come", because South didn't even make an offer! So your comments are absolutely irrelevant and completely ridiculous!

Reply #174064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team Jason plays for is a factor but not the deal maker. How he carries himself, decisions made on court, decisions made off court, work ethic, dealing with hardship etc. will ultimately determine whether he gets an NBL shot. It's not about being a standout at ABA level but whether he has the outlook and tools to play a role initially at NBL level. Smart scouters look for the unobvious, the intangibles which reveal character. Simply judging a player on an off shooting night for example is ridiculous. Looking at the shots he takes, shooting action, when he shoots etc. is more relevant. Offence is fleeting, defence is permanent and he can do this on any team. The fact he has better players around him to get him the ball at the right times, as well as get open for him to get them the ball, will simply make it easier and more enjoyable.

Reply #174073 | Report this post

2008 bring it  
Years ago

Well I know from talking to people in Geelong that he has left for personal reasons other than basketball. Now I know what these reasons are but I am not going to put the blokes private life all over this forum!

Once agian that quote of mine as I understand it says that Kelly is unknown...bit of a gamble going to play for someone that no one has ever heard of! Trust me, ask some SEABL coaches if they have heard of Schueller...reckon they will say yes! Kelly? doubt it!Also, I'm sure Scheuller and Reardon would have crossed paths at nationals last year! I didn't put alot of reasons why he would go to North, I just put in alot of reasons why he wouldn't go to South. I never once said that he is going to North because Scheuller is the coach! I just implied that Justin is more well known than Kelly! Once again your reading comprehension skills are lacking Panther!

And as far as those 'pitching' comments you're making...clutching at straws a bit there pal.I too was using South as an example, and in turn showing you why he would not go there!......why would anyone go to South???

Reply #174076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assists?? Reardon played with Leonard and Cox last year and still averaged most assists in his conf.

Shots?? Reardon played with Herbert, Myers, Cox, Medved, Brebner and Brown last year and still got off plenty of shots.

If North know whats good for them they will let Jason have plenty of the ball, his teams usually win as a result.

One of the top players in SEABL last 3 years, he will be easily one of the top players in ABL.

Big questions are can his game transfer to NBL??? If so, can he play off the bench as a 8th/9th man???

As for playing for Schueller?? Not sure it had much to do with it, especially the fact that last year at ABA finals Supercats smashed North. Think it has more to do with roster and that they will win ABL.

Reply #174080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not without dusty they wont

Reply #174086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knowing the guy reasonably well I think he is a good fit to any team. H does alot of things well and can contribute whether he has the ball or not. As far as NBL goes the guy just needs a break. You only have to look at his try outs and opportunities to see he has be unlucky.

Good luck to Jase.

Reply #174092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was unlucky about his previous trials?

Reply #174093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As i have said before, reardon didn't lead the SEABL or the East conference.

In the East, Shane McDonald (7apg) and Patty Mills (5.42apg), as well as Adam Gibson (4.94apg) were all higher in assist numbers than Reardon.

Reply #174100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are right. He didn't lead the league in assists. He won the Golden Hands Award. Assists plus steals divided by turnovers. I am sure he would have rather win the assists instead of a more highly regarded award such as the Golden Hands. Everybody loves beating up on a successful player rather than give credit where credit is due. Have you heard of the tall poppy syndrome???????

Reply #174128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's correct. i'm not beating up on anyone, just stating the correct facts.

I happen to like reardon as a player, and i'm glad he's not in SEABL anymore, as he has destroyed my team several teams over the last few years.

Reply #174138 | Report this post

Messenger  
Years ago

Article in this weeks messenger sums it up very well i think.

http://www.messengernews.com.au/article/2008/02/19/3888_sport.html

Reply #174551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt that a new player to a club is going to make a public announcement that his main reason for joining them is to try and take the next step into the NBL, it wouldn't be the best start at a new club.
What he said has a professional sound about it, what you would expect for any high profile signing that leaves a club after 5 yrs.

Reply #174585 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

All lies...all lies!!! A very different story to the one I heard on friday night at the fringe from a very close source....! ;)

Reply #174740 | Report this post

cludo  
Years ago

What did this source say panther?

Reply #174746 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

That is between two drunk blokes and no one else...

Reply #174774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As in the Monty Python film, Lets just say he's been a very naught boy...

Reply #174776 | Report this post

Years ago

people f*ck up sometimes, totally out of character.

Reply #174907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to Jase, enjoyed playing in those Saturday pick up games at LBII with him. Goodbye to the East Geelong Bulls where he was the team even though the rest were all VBL or Supercat players, they will fold and be a lot easier team to play against now.

JV, KINGS SUCK, we gave you guys a good touch up.

WE ARE BULLETS!

Reply #174962 | Report this post

Years ago

East Geelong Bulls will live on!!

Reply #175141 | Report this post

Kenzter  
Years ago

People should worry about the games and the stats that he can and will produce and not concern themselves with his personal life, Let the basketball do the talking. And as to the personal reasons, they are called personal for that reason, so how about we watch how he shapes up instead?
Good Luck Jas, you will rock, I am sure of it!!!!

Reply #178115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754