Hoops
Years ago

It's Scotty's Time

Scott Ninnis must coach the 36er's next year!
He has done his time as a assistant at two clubs, he is a former club hero, and the most important factor I think going for him is he is South Austrlian. Stacker would be a good option too but I just think it's Nninis's time.
Give Scotty the job, Brett as his playing assistant in first year before he retires as a non-playing ass.

Topic #14533 | Report this topic

D16  
Years ago

Brett said last year he has no plans to become involved with the club as an assistant. I think a wide search is needed to find a new coach, not just a 'oh, stacker is free and ninnis 'has done his time' approach.

Reply #171409 | Report this post

Asafa  
Years ago

Ninnis is the man for the job...like everyone has been saying he has been successful at the Pro playing level, successful as a ABL coach with Sturt and has been successful as an Asst coach with Crocs and Dragons (though Heal etc took all the credit for 'recruiting' Holmes, Ingles, Hobba etc - what a joke that was)...he is a local boy and we need to keep the team SA based...he wants the job, why should we convince someone who we will probably have to overpay anyway that they should take the job...

It is well known that the Bear is great mates with Ninnis, he is the obvious choice for probably one of the assistant roles...has proven himself as a great ABL coach with his maiden win last year, i dont care the crap people talk about 'oh he wldnt have won without Rychart', their whole team won their individual position against Norwood in the final...He has many links with young talent around the country, as with his recruitment of Reardon and should be rewarded for his efforts and the time he puts in at the SASI, State and club level...

These boys would be able to 'get' the players which will make the team successful and turn the amateur setup the 6ers have now into a professional program which 'develops' young SA talent rather than just fostering it...

Peace

Reply #171412 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

i think scotty is the perfect choice... however it wont make a lick of difference who coaches unless the sixers front office can get it right... need to retain the imports and make smart not heart decsions as to who stay and goes...

Reply #171413 | Report this post

Leopard 20  
Years ago

Bear has made North Adelaide easily the most profesional mens team in the league. You could do a lot worse than a Scotty and Bear combo.
At least they both have a lot of passion in what they do.

Reply #171414 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

did the last two posts come from the same person????

Reply #171415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As sombody mentioned previously, Ninnis has TWICE been over looked as the head coach of he team he was assistant with.

Stacker, in eight years, made the playoffs 4 times, and finished 9th on three occasions. In fact Stacker never made the playoffs two years in a row, so why should he be automatically considered a front runner for the job?

Reply #171418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure there would be many more qualified asst coaches that ninnis would choose before someone who has been coaching for a year

Reply #171423 | Report this post

Kobe 25  
Years ago

Both would be bad choices imo. not a great fit. lets get out of the fishbowl and bring some people in that will have a red hot go. Stop the whole my mate needs a job blah blah blah.

Reply #171435 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

The rosters that Ninnis had at Sturt & Bear had at North were both top rosters. I'd like to see how they coped with an average team before they were put in charge of an NBL club.

Reply #171440 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

did the last two posts come from the same person????
Nope. There is a repeat in the thread, but it's not the two prior to your post.

Fill, that's the reason I'd like to see Liam Flynn keep a role (e.g., third assistant?) - what he achieved with Sturt last season was pretty impressive.

Reply #171458 | Report this post

coaches08  
Years ago

Scott Ninnis for 2008!

Assisted by Richard Hill and KB.

Technical Coach / Scout: Flynn or Castle

Reply #171460 | Report this post

Astor 33  
Years ago

What did he achieve last year with Sturt?

You've lost me?

Reply #171461 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Issac is Liam Flynn the guy that does the video editing and analysis work for the Sixers? If it is and this is the role he does then I think he should leave with the coach. There have been terrible and obvious decisions made throughout the season that continued on for many games. For example our brilliant switch up man defense that we persisted with for at least a quarter if not more of the season. While Flynn, if he is the guy I think he is, does not have the final say it would seem that this analysis was either missed or not emphasized enough. It seems to me the scouting was about as meager as the coaching this season.

Reply #171462 | Report this post

Merv Griffin  
Years ago

KingJames,I think if you saw even one game of the Sturt Men last year (when they were continually keeping teams in the 80s), you would realise that their (liam's) defense philosophies are so different to the 36ers...which indicates to me that maybe Phil has seen Liam's style of defence and said "sorry mate, I think I prefer doing it my way and giving up 155 points"

Reply #171466 | Report this post

Astor 33  
Years ago

Elimnation Final Write -up on BSA website:

Flattering? 3 and 6 leading into finals with 3 '6ers.

Rookie coaches Dion Grieger and Liam Flynn have had stellar starts to their senior coaching career. Both have taken over programs that have a strong history of success at this level and have progressed to the finals, but the journey ends for one this weekend.

Sturt has fielded a vastly different group to that which was runner-up last year. The loss of Oscar Forman, Austin Smylie, Todd Gower and Paul Bauer meant that it would run with in a much less experienced group in 2007, and with Woollacott medallist Darren Ng only playing a limited role, most would not have predicted this group to be contenders this year. The opportunities provided to Marcus Ng have allowed him to answer all critics, and his 22.2 points and 4.5 assists per game have been a big factor in the Sabres's success.

Similarly, Jordan Dodman has relished the opportunity to demonstrate his NBL potential. He has averaged 16.3 points and 9.0 rebounds a game, and will provide and entertaining battle with West's frontline of Blake Truslove, Kris Davis and Shane Crothers.

Anthony Spadavecchia has been the surprise packet of this year's league. He exploded into the season with the first CABL player-of-the-week award, and while the first half of his season has been better than his second, his ability to score in big games (two 20+ point games against North). Brendon Mann recovered well from an early injury and with 28 points in West's most recent game against a top-5 team, he is also capable of lighting it up on any given night.

Both teams started the season better than they have finished, but with Sturt at just 3 and 6 in their last 9 games and West competitive with Forestville just two weeks ago, it will be tough for the Sabres to progress past the first round. However, if Marcus Ng has a shooter's night, anything is possible.

....?

Reply #171467 | Report this post

Merv Griffin  
Years ago

Astor33,just to give some perspective of the 7 (he missed two while coaching at Nationals) games LF coached in the second half, the team was 3 & 4. The wins - Norwood (1pt), Mavs (18pts), Centrals (23pts). The losses - West (4pts), Southern (2pts), Eagles (27pts), W'ville (14pts). They had only two NBL players (both development players at the time - Marcus Ng, Dodman)

I would say with the inexperienced group that he had, that is a good return (not great), especially when you consider the teams they kept out of the finals who had better groups - Woodville, Southern, South?

Plus, most importantly to this discussion, the young kids were developed and played hard every game.

Reply #171472 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, yes, he sits up near the main camera and comes down at the quarter time breaks. Will be interesting to see how he does with the Sabres this year.

Astor 33, did you see the roster he had? Predominantly no-name rookies getting reasonable ABL minutes for the first time. I think they definitely overachieved as a team.

Reply #171479 | Report this post

Fill said "The rosters that Ninnis had at Sturt & Bear had at North were both top rosters. I'd like to see how they coped with an average team before they were put in charge of an NBL club"

Fill that doesnt make sense. So because they had good rosters they won you say..... mmmmm Do you think the team that wins the NBL title year will have a good roster? Does Brisbane have a good roster mmmmmm..... Do you want the sixers to have a good roster mmmmm food for thought.... Winning is a habit. It doesnt matter how you do it, it just tends to repeat itself.

Reply #171481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

scotty 2008

Reply #171485 | Report this post

2008 bring it  
Years ago

Sturt came fifth last year. Thats exactly where they should have finished. All the teams below them had less talent by far. I don't see the big deal with Flynn.

Reply #171486 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

As sombody mentioned previously, Ninnis has TWICE been over looked as the head coach of he team he was assistant with.

Let's try this............

CEO of Crocs (knowing that he has already decided that Stacks needs to go)and Ninnis (trying to remain loyal to the Head coach) have a conversation.

CEO : So, Scott, how are you finding it?
SN : Been a tough year, but we're hanging in there
CEO : How do you find Stacks?
SN Option 1 : Stacks is good, we just need to..........
SN Option 2 : Stacks sucks, man, he looks lost. I could do a WAY better job. Here's what I'd do.

Option 1 gets the baby thrown out with the bathwater, option 2 COULD get him the next HC job at the Crocs.

Now substitute Stacker for Price and the same situation at the Dragons.

Now the question is.....What kind of person do you want coaching your club. The loyal guy, or the backstabbing one who climbs over the carcasses of the people he's killed along the way?

I can see Ninnis being open and honest in his dealings with people. I can see him picking assistants based on how well they can help your club NOT how he can protect his own arse. I can see him being the kind of coach you would be proud to have.

Now I am NOT saying that he should get the job, that is a decision for a proper review process to sort out. But I AM saying you'd get a good person and that's a fairly good start in the coaching ranks.

Saying that he got "passed over" for those 2 roles is not necessarily fair.

Reply #171501 | Report this post

Turn it up!  
Years ago

Pffft Dicko!

Lets try this.....

Crocs CEO: So Scotty we are sacking Stacker and unfortunately I don't rate you as head coach material

SN: Uh

Heal: Listen mate, you took the Dragons for preseason and you assisted Mark for 5 games and I don't rate you as an assistant, let alone a head coach. In fact I am going to coach and I don't want you involved with this team at all.

SN: Uh

Dicko: Scotty this is why they call me Dicko

SN: Uh Uh UUUUH!

To place Ninnis as the next coach is 'typical-head-in-the-sand-parochial-employ-our-own-dud-cos-he's-from-S.A-bullshit'

Ninnis for Baldemort for Ninnis...its the same flavour folks.

Reply #171507 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Your opinion is valid.....My point is that you can't necessarily judge the person on the situation.

The fact that he didn't get the gig in Townsville or the Dragons does not NECESSARILY mean that he's no good.

As I said, I'm not saying give him the job....Hell, you SHOULD go through a proper review process. I'm just saying he's a pretty straight up bloke.

You can disagree if you wish, of course, but I see NOTHING in common between Voldemort and Ninnis.

Ninnis has ALWAYS been scouting, working with and developing younger talent. Ninnis does not use other people to cover his own arse. Ninnis always has something constructive to say rather than sit back and leave it. Ninnis has a reputation that will bring players to Adelaide.

As for your personal attack.....Really necessary? Play the ball, not the man, please.

Reply #171526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mail on the Ninnis situation at the Dragon was that word got back that he had been pursuing the Gold Coast head coach job, and the Dragons didnt really love that too much.

Reply #171551 | Report this post

Morrie  
Years ago

re #171551. Ninnis pursuing GC job.
Nip this thought in the bud right away.
This was started by Heal so as to be able to cut Scott without paying him out of the remainder of his contract.
Fact that the Dragons settled out of court showed that they weren't able to take this false GC allegation further.

Reply #171574 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754