Rove
Years ago

36ers to take coaching applications

Smyth still a chance, this on nbl.com

The Adelaide 36ers will be accepting applications for the team's head coaching position next year but haven't ruled out appointing Phil Smyth again.

Owner Mal Hemmerling said that it was a decision based in the best interests of the team in a hope of restoring the 36ers as competition leaders.

Smyth said he still had a passion for the 36ers but was unsure if he'd reapply for the role.

"I don't know - there's a lot of fatigue and emotion in coaching," Smyth said.

He added that he was frustrated by the team's injury problems this year.

Topic #14542 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like they will advertise for a coach and Phil will be considered should he wish to apply.

Reply #171567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

POlite and soft way of saying "See ya!"

Reply #171569 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

BRILLIANT! Very professional way to go.
Well done to Mal, Phil, Team & Paul!
This way they will KNOW who is seriously interested in the job.
I'm very happy with the outcome.
Congratulations to 36ers for handling a difficult time so well.
Cheers
Dana

Reply #171570 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Based on the last few games.. I am thinking retaining PS may not be SUCH a bad idea. Hodge seems to perform well under him and Hodge has made allt he difference not only on the ball but off the ball as well.

I would however also welcome a (correct) change.

Reply #171571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS, does NO-ONE have balls in this organisation?

Reply #171573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like it. I never thought of this as an option but now I see it, it has so many upsides. The only down side being a perceived lack of "balls" but the good far out weigh the bad. This is why Mal has got to where he is in the business world and knows his stuff.

Reply #171576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is there an upside? This is simply 'dancing around the bush'. Voldemort himself would have conjured this one up, smart I'll give him that. He's buying time, banking on a good showing in the last couple of games and then wait and see how he will reapply and then absolutely slag every other applicant.

Reply #171582 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Works for all parties. What's the problem again?

Reply #171585 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Exactly Isaac!

Reply #171591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest this a worse scenario than before for those players wanting to know who is coaching before re-signing.Now it just leaves them more confused as there is a 'chance' he may be back. Not good for those who want him to stay or for those who want him to go.

Reply #171594 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

It rather lacks the 'definitive' way forward I was hoping for. It does, however, fall exactly into line with PS' "no change for change's sake" speach.

I guess the assumption is, if everyone that applies is worse than the current coach, we'll stick with the sleeping devil we know.

Darryl Pearce, Mike McKay, Al Green, Scott Ninnis, Kevin Brooks...someone stick your hand up, for the love of God.

Reply #171595 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

This is a great move. Everyone that applies will be put into the same basket, and if Phil applies and is the best person then that's fine and so be it.

People then can't bitch and moan that they never had the opportunity to apply or weren't considered for the role.

I'd hope that a part of the application is a business plan type of docuement where the interested applicant will have a plan and direction towards winning a 'ship.

Don't employ someone like Stacker just because he's Stacker. Employ whoever prepares the best application combined with the most experience the club can afford.

Reply #171596 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Leaving the door open is a good idea. We could do worse - Shane Heal might be the only applicant.

Reply #171602 | Report this post

Div 1 coach  
Years ago

Anyone else see this as an opportunity to step up to the plate and apply for the job?

Reply #171604 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Div 1 coach, that is probably why they did it.

Hoping a well informed Hoops SA poster/moderator will step up, and take this team to the glory days...

After all, that is why we post on here, to push our coaching credentials..

; )

Reply #171608 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Damn straight......Im in.

Reply #171609 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

LOL...good to see sense of humour returning...

Reply #171611 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Don't like it, taking the easy way out with this - if you are a player thinking of resigning, you want more than we are not sure who is going to coach next year.

Reply #171620 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I was going to post this in the "Breheny to go" thread, but it belongs here.

I think this clayton's sacking of Volde is a farce. It is disrespectful to the club, the players, the fans, and to Volde's staff to leave him as a lame-duck coach. Now no-one knows whether Volde will be coach next year, and therefore no-one knows whether to stay or go. Perhaps other teams might be interested in approaching Breheny, or other memebers of his staff, or some of our players (who may or may not fit a new coach's philosophy), or these coaches/players may be uncertain as to whether to apply for other vacancies due to the current uncertainty, preferring to stay here if they can (by the same token, some may leave *because* of the instability, which won't help the club).

Given they are such a close-knit team, the person most effected is Steve Breheny, who deserves more respect than this for the effort he has put into bringing three chamionships to this club. Unfortunately I doubt that Volde can see that his prevaricating over his own job is damaging to his close friend, any more than he can see that it is damaging the club and its players and fans. Stick with the job (and learn from your mistakes!) or quit (or be sacked), don't do this Death March. We've done that once already this season with our import, let's not do it with the coach!

Reply #171629 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #171594, I couldn't have put it better myself. I have been on Phil's side and wanting him to stay, however I am also aware that there are players who do and don't want to play for him. This does nothing to their decision making. All I can say is that a decision on the Head Coach position be made before the 2 weeks after grand final is up because that is the time that it becomes a mad shopping spree for the free agents.

Reply #171633 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Let me put it this way

You work for a large organisation, and someone on another team's contract is up, but is thinking of reapplying.

You are thinking of applying for the job becuase you have all the skills, but you do not apply because if the current person reapplies, you have little chance, and then your managers know that you are applying for other jobs, which can make your current situation uncomfortable.

I cannot see many top level coaches applying for this job on this basis alone.

Finally we need a decision, either, Phil, you have a bad luck run the last several years with injuries and imports, but we have faith (hey I was there Sat night, and saw a lot of positives), or, Phil, it is time to go, and we are actively pursuing a new coach worldwide.

This is a soft, amateur decision/annoucement and people should take it for what it is - nothing.

Reply #171634 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I think taking Phil out of the equation is short sighted.
If any serious coach out there reckons he's the one for the job, I'd be surprised if this scenario would factor into his/her decision "but you do not apply because if the current person reapplies, you have little chance".
If that's all you need to not apply, then obviously you have doubts about your own abilities.
I'm sure any coach who is serious about wanting the job will go for it. And I'd be VERY surprised if there weren't some head hunting going on anyway.
Give Mal some credit PLEASE!

Reply #171641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dana, slow down. You're going to blow a foo-foo valve!

Reply #171642 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Dana

To be sucessful in Business, sometimes you have to make hard decisions.

A hard decision was required to be made today - and it wasn't, that went for the soft option to retain face.

Retaining face does not always make you successful in business or for that matter, win championships.

Coaches live public lives, and basketball is a small community.

Let say for sake of argument, Boy-Gorj applies for the job, and gets spotted having an interview with Sixers staff. If Phil is retained, Sydney now know that Boy-Gorj wants to leave. Would Sydney want to retain Boy-Gorj knowing that is thinking of leaving? Would you want to be in that situation?

I think what has upset me the most about today is that haven't stated they are actively recruiting coaches, by the wording used today, they are simply going to wait for applicants to apply. If your multi million dollar company is looking for a new CEO - are they simply going to put an add in the Advertiser? No - they are going to speak with industry leaders, they are going to try and poach other successful people, they are going to search and advertise worldwide for the best person. The best person does not always turn up on your doorstep.

Today should have been - Phil is staying, or Phil is going - then put the positive spin on that.

Reply #171645 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

And so you take applications from Tom Baldwin and Jan Stirling, put then on top of the list for consideration.

Reply #171646 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Stirling is a sure interesting one - she certainly has an impressive resume, has a fantastic basketball brain, can handle everything at top level, is passionate about basketball and has the respect of the coummunity.

But one thing you have to remember about the difference between Men's and Womens basketball, with the NBL, there is a lot more money, and hence a lot more ego and more player management. And, it is commonly acknowledged that the Lightning are about the same skill level as a under 16 boys state team, whilst the Opals are about the same level as a U18 or U20 mens state team.

So for Stirling to step up to the NBL would be a big step, one that I am sure she is capable of.

I would prefer to gamble on Stirling over Ninnis at this stage.

Reply #171651 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Bozza. There's no way that any of us would know if they have or haven't approached or been approached by candidates. That kind of thing goes on all the time without being made public.
Besides, with all the rumours on here (some even reported by the local radio stations as facts - God help us) who would know what is for real or what is just supposition?
I think Phil wasn't the only one making this option available. How do we know he didn't say I quit already but the players and Mal might have said. "Hold on, go take a break after a difficult time, and think about what you really want to do."
Exactly this scenario is happening at my work now where one of the guys resigned last week, but we have talked him into delaying his decision until after his holidays. Sometimes life/work gets on top of you and you might not be thinking clearly and make decisions that haven't been analysed fully.
I think given the fact that Phil has had more success than any other NBL coach over the same time period, this is the least he deserves.

Reply #171654 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Also - we shouldn't be shy about looking overseas for a ex NBA or NCAA coach.

We might have not done so well under Dunlap, or having seen the mess with the Dragons and Price, this is no reason to avoid going down this road again.

But - we should also learn from the Dragon's mistakes, do not employee a coach on potential publicity alone.

We need to consider all options.

Reply #171656 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bozza - the opals would absolutely destroy any u/20 state team. And the Lightening any u/16 state team.

Penny Taylor/Lauren Jackson - two top 5 women players in the world.

Reply #171659 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"I think Phil wasn't the only one making this option available. How do we know he didn't say I quit already but the players and Mal might have said. "Hold on, go take a break after a difficult time, and think about what you really want to do.""

This is not the case. The club are saying "We are looking for someone else", but in a very diplomatic fashion - that's all it is. That Phil is unsure as to whether he wants to continue anyway is quite separate.

Reply #171663 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Dana on channel 10 news last night Phil quite specifically said his heart is not in it anymore. I would love him to stay, but his heart has to stay with the job. Frustration over what's happened in the last 2 years is quite understandable and I still think he did a great job under the circumstances, but if he openly admits that his heart is not in it, then he really should step aside.

Reply #171669 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I agree Isaac and EC. I'm just suggesting that there could be more than one version of what actually happened being speculated upon on this site and what I suggested was pure speculation and in no way based on facts or evidence.

Reply #171672 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Just heard Phil on 5AA with Cornsey and KG,he said he will take 5 days off at the end of the season and get away and relax and decided whether he wants to apply or not, he said he thinks had the feeling if he said to Mal he wanted to keep going next year he would of been allowed to do so. He said it is also a good opportunity for the club to see what is out there and seemed confident if he wanted to apply his would stack up well against all the others.
Said one way the club would go he is impressive, just been there a while and we have taken some things for granted, or the other way they may decided he isnt as good as they thought and the other applicants are better and its time to change.
Phil said he would only coach Adelaide next season or not at all.
They asked him who else may apply and he said he thought guys like Ninnis, Sapwell, Molloy and Stacker would probably through there hats in the ring.
Best of luck to Phil, what ever you decide, i would not be upset to see Phil back again for the next few years as i think he has done a pretty good job this year all things considered.

Reply #171677 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Dana

With the person that you have talked into holding off resignation - has he been losing the company money over the last two years (translation, losing games, not making finals?)

Reply #171679 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

The Doctor - who do you think the women's teams scrimmage against for match practise? Several years ago you could have had Newley and Ingles playing Under 20 State against Lauren and Penny - actually, I reckon that could be a great 2 on 2 game to watch!

Reply #171683 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Seriously don't like this approach at all.

Are they that scared that no-one better will apply. How do they propose to determine if someone is better.

It's time for charge and a simple, Thanks for all the good times Phil, it's time for a change of direction.

Coaches apply here - WTF?! You want QUALITY coaches GO AND CHASSE them get the players ideas, board ideas, fans ideas, everyones ideas. Draw up a hit list and work your way through it. Or at least pretend you are doing something pro-active about it.

This comes across as we can't be bothered getting out there and doing some hard yards. If your interested rock up on the door step and we'll see.

Not that we really want to compare too much to the Dragons poor season but from all reports they are throwing everything they have at 'questionably' the best coach in the league Goorj! (ok he's pretty darn good).

Here's a list just to look over Mal & Co (get in contact at the very least!)

Ninnis
Brooks
Sapwell
Bruton
Beveridge
Stacker
Baldwin
Ingham

(those are ones I thought of in about 10 seconds). Surely those in the know a bit more will provide a much larger list.

Reply #171714 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

bozza you are a complete arse hole. you know nothing about women's b/ball. lightning and opals skill levels would be far superior to u/16,u/20 state "boys".
you don't get to be "world champions" with the skills of u/16 or u/20 boys.
I think the women use their brains on the court far more than the men do. and they haven't got the super egos that some of the men have.
they just get out on the court and play great b/ball without all the stupid razzamatazz.

Reply #171717 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

plus I'm sick of all the dissecting of the 6ers team, who will be there, who won't, who cares?
who will finish top of the WNBL season?
where is all the support they deserve?

sick to death of male dominated publicity!

Reply #171718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Glen, if people were more interested, they'd post about it. I'm sure somewhere there's a curling forum getting less traffic than an AFL forum - so be it.

If you want more talk about the WNBL/Lightning, generate more content. Ask more questions. Encourage other fans to do the same.

Reply #171725 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Eh, no knocking the Curling! Very entertaining stuff.....

BTW any chance we can get a curling section on this here very forum?

Reply #171735 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only if you promise to seed it with content!

Reply #171745 | Report this post

Giraffe 20  
Years ago

glen - don't be so sure. In '02 the opals scrimmaged the SASI u-18 boys, yes, Newley's year (guess who won). In '01 the lightning scrimmaged a top four div 1 team (from memory that team finished 3rd in the winter season), again, guess who won...

Reply #171756 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Glen - you missed the point entirely.

I have nothing but respect and admiration of womens basketball, and feel sorry they do not get the media, sponsorship and recognition that the male counterparts do.

Also, to this day, the best screen every set on me that sent me flying was done by Michelle Timms during one of these scratch matches.

But the fact remains, at this point of time, I have seen enough scratch matches over the last 15 years to backup my point - how many scratch matches with the women vs boys have you seen Glen?

C'mon Glen - I am not slagging the women, I just wanted to point out that whilst I believe Stirling could to a great job for the Sixers, it would a big step for her to make as womens and mens basketball are on such different levels and require different types of coaching.

Reply #171766 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Cant understand what all the fuss is about?
Phil wins 3 championships, gets burnt out trying to put a team together on a shoestring budget, with injuries and obstacles galore over the last few years.
A change in management, another change in ownership, and each year we performed above expectation except the last 2yrs. In my book we have had a 90% success rate at reaching the finals, along with 3 (count them), 3 championships, and what do I hear? Sack Voldemort, we hate him, he cant coach, he cant develop young talent, he's hopeless, he's done this and that......

He has given the club early notice before the season ends.
He has said it will not take long for him to decide if he wishes to continue/apply for the job (5 days).
He is happy to stand aside if there is a better outcome for the 36ers with someone else.
The club can start to look for suitable candidates NOW before the season ends.
He could've been more selfish and kept his feelings under wraps and secretly talked to other clubs etc etc, but he has said if he coaches, it will be in Adelaide. How much more could he do? As someone said before, its difficlut to make a rational decision when you're burnt out, so he goes on the front foot and tells everyone openly what he is thinking. Soory, but I don't think he could do anything more without risking making the wrong decision.

Sadly,I dont think he will continue, because he is burnt out, but all this character assasination crap is just ridiculous, he brought us more titles than anyone else has, or would you rather have 'the man in black' oy Goorj pacing up and down our sidelines playing his style of hussleball? give me the free flowing 3 point shootout fest anyday that we have lived on for the last 10years.

FFS, do you guys really want Scotty developing players during our NBL season for the next 3yrs, only to see them poached by Sydney's big wallet?

A pro club should not have to develop talent, thats what the ASI is for. Wake up dudes, we need championships to get the crowds back, not a development team that will POSSIBLY win a championship in 3-5 yrs time.

Reply #171769 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

DoDaBonk, you hit the nail right on the head. Agree with every word you have written.

You are so right about the development of players being outside the NBL club they join. When you join a team at that level, you have to have the skills beforehand. Its like applying for any professional job, you have to have the credentials before you apply. Then it becomes just a case of learning the system according to the team you join and improving further by getting experience in playing at that level.

Reply #171776 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Sure, thats why Houston sent Newley off to Greece to further his game. But of course they are a professional team so obviously don't care about the fact that he may be NBA ready in a year or two. What a load of crap that professional teams don't have a responsibility to develop younger talent. ALL professional teams keep an eye on, and nurture up and coming talent as it makes good business sense. It's just that Voldemort does a shitty job at it.

Reply #171801 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Thanks DaDaBonk. I wish I could be that articulate.
Hear hear!

Reply #171863 | Report this post

Mrs Sweedler  
Years ago

EC,

I guess you have never heard of "professional development" or "continuous improvement" in the business world??

The same applies to basketball - Yes the burden is on the employee (player) to have the required knowledge, experience and results to win the job (be signed), but the business (team) must in turn provide an environment that will not only allow these skills to flourish, but build on and enhance them to keep up with a dynamic environment.

If they dont, not only will the business (team) fall behind their competitors, but they will fail to attract the best talent because they will earn a reputation as an organisation that does not care much for the individuals they employ.

This is what you see with 36ers Version 08

Its this kind of apathetic, "she'll be right", no attention to detail attitude that has cost the 36ers Newley and Ingles; and now is reflected in our results.

Reply #171880 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I know phil isnt known as a developer but is his development that bad, like look how Jacob and Oscar improved each year whilst at the 36ers, then both moved on, i think one reason was for better development of there games and they havnt exactly had break outs and have really stayed at the same level they were when they left. I think that is also a reason Ingles went else where, also to follow Ninnis, but yea look whats going on in the Dragons and im sure Phil would have been atleast as good if not better for Ingles than Heal was as coach, my guess would be Phil would be alot better,the only difference is Phil probably would of given him a smaller role initially, a bit like he did with Jacob and Oscar, then build there minutes as they improve, but the 36ers would be winning more than they are and alot more than the Dragons if he was here thats for sure.
Guys like Catt flourished under Phil, Ng has had a break out season playing his whole career under Phil and improved each season.
Im not saying Phil is the greatest developer but maybe he isnt that bad, and focuses more on getting the best players regardless of age ie recruiting a Brad Davidson, rather than young players as he believes thats how you win, and he has had some success with more veteran guys so i can see why he thinks that. The result being 3 titles in 11 seasons hard to argue with his style. The rosters the last 3 or 4 years (not including this one) were put together on the cheap side because of the BASA situation, do you think Goorj or any coach woulda won the title or been top 4 with last years 36ers squad i doubt it. He can obviously coach, would guys like Mee, Brooks, Maher, Farley, Catt play more than one season for a guy who they dont think can coach, i doubt it. Remembering Brooks, Mee and now Hodge have all played NBA so would have had top coaches and none of them appear to dislike playing for Phil.
Im not totally apposed to change, but also wouldnt be too upset to see Phil back at the same time,if he goes through the process and proves to Mal he is the best available, maybe there isnt anyone available else out there better than Phil. Who is better than Phil out there??? Stacker, i dont think so, and other options like Ninnis and Beverage and Baldwan are all umproven at NBL level, with only Beverage having 1 year of NBL coaching experience, but hey it may be worth giving one of those guys a shot. I will be watching with interest to see who coaches next year and what players we are able to keep and get! please stay Hodge, Ballinger and NG!
Good luck to the 36ers and Phil for the future!

Reply #171909 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

How would you compare say, Cal Bruton and Phil.

Reply #171914 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754